Forum Index > Trail Talk > Nat Geo TOPO!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:14 am 
I've got Topo! version 3.4.3 running on an old XP computer, where I copied all the map files onto my hard drive. No CDs needed and it actually runs plenty fast. That being said, I prefer the downloaded free Northwest Topos files (from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com), using Garmin BaseCamp, since it shows way more trails.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jcocci

jcocci
PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:36 am 
So there is a 4.6 out for TOPO now? I am also having the track line issue, but everything else seems to work just fine.
Arginine wrote:
I'm running OS X 10.8.4 and have Topo 4.6.0. Pretty much works fine but the tracks don't seem to import or show up when drawn. Any thoughts on that issue? I emailed NG months ago and they responded (to their credit) but said that I had to use All Trails as they didn't support TOPO any longer. I'm pretty unimpressed with All Trails despite dropping $50 for the Pro version. I can't rule out user incompetence with it though.

hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Jul 23, 2013 9:25 pm 
Just checked the Nat geo website and they now sell the topo 4 upgrade. It's the same topo 3d I talked about prior and is still $19. (They've just changed the cover) There is one for M$ and a different one for MAC. As I said it is $19 . If you're paying more it is the wrong product. It will upgrade from 2.6 to 4.0 and then you'll need to download the next upgrades. This will save you from having to upgrade to 3 and then 3 something else and then 4 and then 4.5. All the 4.0 has is the ability to set it as 3-D and the availability of the USB port. If you don't have a GPS that has a USB port then don't bother. Not sure if it'll work on a smartphone such as an android...someone else needs to kick in here. I have a tendency not to use these things as battery power ends up to aboput 10 hrs where a paper map printed on outdoor paper lasts weeks and automatically adjusts for ambient light.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostWed Jul 24, 2013 7:34 am 
hikermike wrote:
Just checked the Nat geo website and they now sell the topo 4 upgrade
I think it's listed and appears on their web site, but is out of stock and will not ever be produced again

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club
PostFri Jul 26, 2013 3:30 pm 
FWIW, it appears that that version 4.6 just reflects a media change to DVDs, rather a change in the executable.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostFri Jul 26, 2013 7:01 pm 
Doesn't look like any are available

Chico

Chico
PostSat Jul 27, 2013 5:13 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
I think it's listed and appears on their web site, but is out of stock and will not ever be produced again
Which is a shame since they have the master discs. They could burn the whole country if they wanted to make more money.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Jul 27, 2013 6:30 pm 
There's a free TOPO 4.5 full upgrade here that works with any version. The data disc are the same, so any State TOPO can be used. TOPO 4.5 Upgrade I remember from 4.X version on it worked on either PC or Mac. Not sure why TOPO is selling an upgrade for $20???? Helps to go in and install all the State quad updates. Open TOPO, Toolbar, click on View, then click on Live Map Updates. Another good tip is to right click on a TOPO map. Click on About This Map. You'll see the quad name and date it was updated to. Live Map Update will get you current as current can be. Many quads aren't updated for many years.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
mike

mike
PostSat Jul 27, 2013 9:15 pm 
Good tip but Live Map Updates crashes the program.

evergreen199

evergreen199
PostThu Nov 28, 2013 9:59 am 
I have a technical question for the other TOPO users out there. I have created a lot of custom route styles and custom symbols over the years and I would like to clean some of them out by deleting those styles, but can't figure out how to do so. I can modify the styles and rename them to change them into something else, but I would like to delete them completely so my route style list (and symbols list) have fewer entries. Does anyone know how to do this?

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostThu Nov 28, 2013 1:43 pm 
Luc

Luc
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 2:14 pm 
Tried to install TOPO! latest version on Mac Yosemite. I'm still getting the thing where it says "critical colorspace error" and then can't find the data, asks me to install it again. So i called Natgeomaps, to discover that they've folded the division. No more support. Dang, just wish i could get it working.

GNGSTR
jcocci

jcocci
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 2:22 pm 
Hmm, interesting. I just recently reformatted the drive on my Mac with a fresh install of Yosemite and was able to reinstall topo no problem. Do you have the latest (and by latest I mean at least a couple years old now) update as well?

Luc

Luc
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 3:44 pm 
i do have the latest. and it works up to zooming into my state, where i asks for the data CDs to be installed, which they already were, but i did again, and is still asking for them...

GNGSTR
jcocci

jcocci
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 4:28 pm 
Hmm interesting. Are they installed in the proper place?