Forum Index > Gear Talk > Ready to hang!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 9:46 pm 
I recently bought an 8x10 silnylon tarp because the kinder and I are maxing out tent space. Then I thought, "The tarp is halfway to a hammock set up". After looking online and reading stuff I decided this would be a great DIY project - and by DIY I meant I would order materials and bribe my spouse and friends to sew and I put it all together. So that is what I did. Here is my DIY hammock made with 1.6 Oz Ripstop and with toulle bug sock. We will carry this with us next week when the whole family goes hiking along with my nephew - who is likely the one to be my guinea pig and test it out should he feel inclined. When I camp with the spouse we share a sleeping bag. She is not convinced hanging would work for her. Neither am I, but I figure I may as well test it out....
Diy Camping Hammock.
Diy Camping Hammock.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 9:47 pm 
Love you guys doing it yourself. up.gif

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 10:20 pm 
That does look pretty comfy!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 10:26 pm 
Blurry pic but I like how it looks like the sides are pulled out. Not that I know much about high tech hammocks.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 8:23 am 
Whether sleeping in a hammock works for you is highly individual. People that sleep on their backs tend to do better than side sleepers. For side sleepers hanging the hammock loosely and positioning yourself diagonally can work. Two people in a hammock can be tricky, my wife and I have managed afternoon naps, but so far we haven't managed overnights as she prefers the enclosed space of a tent after nightfall. P.S. Our dog also much prefers when I sleep on the ground so she can shove her head into my armpit (treatment she is not permitted at home)

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 9:08 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Whether sleeping in a hammock works for you is highly individual. People that sleep on their backs tend to do better than side sleepers. For side sleepers hanging the hammock loosely and positioning yourself diagonally can work.
FWIW I'm a committed side sleeper at home, as my knees prefer to be a little bent + I have a back injury that mandates a curl or it will stab me awake and then mercilessly keep me thrashing for a while. curse.gif In the hammock however everything changes. I've been known to loll on my side, but the unpopular 'banana' shape of a hang with a lot of sag is a huge relief and I find myself sleeping quite comfortably on my back for a change. The other thing I notice is that very small shifts of position do a lot more to relieve pressure than in a bed so I find myself not thrashing nearly as much in the hammock as I do normally in bed. I did a 2 night/3 day solo bikepacking trip a few weeks ago and actually found myself out in the middle of nowhere catching up on sleep I can't seem to get at home. I was tired from the riding of course but overall actually came back feeling better than when I left. up.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 10:44 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Two people in a hammock can be tricky, my wife and I have managed afternoon naps, but so far we haven't managed overnights as she prefers the enclosed space of a tent after nightfall.
Behold the enclosed space of the hammock sock! lol.gif
By the way i've rolled over on to my stomach a few times with no ill effects in this hammock. It's designed like a suspension bridge.
Camp
Camp
Oh i have an arthritic L4/L5 vertebra, i can confirm smaller shifts of position will relieve pressure points.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 6:32 pm 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
I did a 2 night/3 day solo bikepacking trip a few weeks ago and actually found myself out in the middle of nowhere catching up on sleep I can't seem to get at home.
I've had a similar experience -- sleeping on the ground -- even with a thick air mattress I still have to change positions several times during the night -- but the first time I tried using a hammock on a bike circut around the Olympics , I would sleep through until chirping birds. Hulksmash -- it took me decades to figure out, but I have finally learned to avoid using "logic" and "facts" in discussions with my wife. You want to be right or you want to be happy?

renegadepilgrim

renegadepilgrim
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 7:28 pm 
I'm a side/belly sleeper and do just fine in my hammock. I usually sleep better in the hammock and my back doesn't bother me as much after a few nights in my hammock.

_____________________________ Travel Blog: http://renegadepilgrim.com Trail Reports: http://wenthiking.com/renegadepilgrim Instagram: renegadepilgrim
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 pm 
Hammocks do have a learning curve. And there is no right kind of hammock, top insulation or bottom insulation. It’s all a personal preference. I got converted to hammocking about three years ago (thanks Hulk). Since then I always take a hammock where I know there will be trees. On my last two trips this summer I took a Black Diamond firstlight tent. It worked fine, but I missed being in my hammock. BTW, I have highly modified several retail hammocks and made one from scratch out of 1.1 ripstop nylon with my own features based on stuff I read on the hammock forums. At this point I am convinced it is probably best to just buy something like a Warbonnet Black Bird with built-in bug net and be done with it.

mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostWed Jul 31, 2013 8:30 am 
This is kind of an experiment on the cheap. I can get pretty flat in this thing and adjust it to where it feels most comfortable. If I decide I like using a hammock I may keep an eye out for a warbonnet/hennesy that will likely last longer.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 am 
mbtigger wrote:
This is kind of an experiment on the cheap. I can get pretty flat in this thing and adjust it to where it feels most comfortable. If I decide I like using a hammock I may keep an eye out for a warbonnet/hennesy that will likely last longer.
JMO: skip the Hennesy and go straight to Warbonnet or DreamHammock or another comparable cottage vendor. My daughter has a HH Scout, and while it's nice for the kid being built more sturdy than the other hammocks, we ended up doing a number of mods to make it less annoying. Specifically we replaced the original tree straps (I'm not kidding they were the size of seat belt webbing) w/ lighter/less bulky standard tree straps, swapped the original heavy and twiddly suspension lines w/ whoopie slings, and replaced the tarp lines w/ some lighter cord. By the time you're done I really don't think you save any money. Plus there's the whole "support a cool dude working out of his garage in the USA" vs "made in China" thing, if that matters to you.

~Mom jeans on wheels
renegadepilgrim

renegadepilgrim
PostWed Jul 31, 2013 12:55 pm 
The only mod I made to my Hennessy Hyperlite was to change the suspension to loops with cinch buckles from Dutcheware, and got 15ft tree straps and some Dutch Clips...I got mine with the 20% off Anniversary sale REI discount, and used my dividend which means it cost me around $150. I don't use the tarp that came with it...I have a bigger one that weighs less and offers more coverage when it rains. I also have a custom hammock made with spinnaker cloth that weighs 4 oz, but it has no bugnet...still need to play with that one to see if I can get my total hammock weight including bugnet to under a pound. The best way to find out if you like a hammock brand is to go to a hang and try everyone's out...

_____________________________ Travel Blog: http://renegadepilgrim.com Trail Reports: http://wenthiking.com/renegadepilgrim Instagram: renegadepilgrim