Forum Index > Food & Grub > where's Sarbar? I wanna eat this in the backcountry.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSun Aug 31, 2014 8:53 pm 
Dehydrated homemade chili reconstitutes like the bomb. (Ok, that sentence makes more sense in my head.) My favorite backpacking food!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Aug 31, 2014 9:57 pm 
So can I share? slobber.gif burger.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 31, 2014 10:01 pm 
on your blog? certainly. or did you mean the chili? only made 3 portions, but the weather forecast is looking like I'm only going to get a 5-day window, so I'll have at least one left. too bad I can't figure out some magical way to dehydrate a little cornbread (or bake it on a gravel bar.) maybe I'll just make some corn muffins and haul them along. just hoping the beans rehydrate without any issues. those garbanzos in the "Punjab Choley" stuff were kind of weird... like woody/chalky texture. longer soak time?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Aug 31, 2014 10:44 pm 
Hey, make cornbread croutons! Just cut n' dehydrate cornbread - bite size. Yum on chili! up.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 12:33 pm 
Fabulous Salmon Recipe The fish are coming in on the coast. As an alternative to broiling, frying, or grilling, you might want to try this:
queets_salmon_091114
queets_salmon_091114
Quick and easy. Season salmon with salt and pepper, and a little fresh dill weed.
wild_alaska_king_steak_01_091714
wild_alaska_king_steak_01_091714
Wrap in parchment and seal. I didn't go to cooking school and learn the right way to do this, so I cheat and use the stapler. Works for me.
wild_alaska_king_steak_02_091714
wild_alaska_king_steak_02_091714
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400° F for 20 minutes.
wild_alaska_king_steak_03_091714
wild_alaska_king_steak_03_091714
Delightful. Will be thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. There's always room for experimentation. Rosemary or Thyme instead of Dill Weed; Juniper Berries; Lemon; White Wine. It's all good. Works well with Swordfish and Sturgeon too! wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 24, 2014 11:39 pm 
Kim said she wanted the plums that are growing in everyones yards except hers, because she doesn't have a yard. So if you're one of those with a plum tree, you might want to get her fixed up. If you still have plums left and are wondering what to do with them, try this: Delightful Plum Pie You'll need enough plums for a pie. About 20 of those Italian Plums is enough for a shallow 9" pie pan.
plum_pie_ingredients
plum_pie_ingredients
Cut up the plums and add: - about a third of a cup of Orange Marmalade - about a third of a cup of Cornstarch - about a half a cup of white Sugar - some ground Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Ginger - a dash of Salt Mix all that together and pour into an unbaked pie shell.
spread_in_unbaked_pie_shell
spread_in_unbaked_pie_shell
Cover with a top crust and sprinkle a little sugar on it.
cover_with_top_crust
cover_with_top_crust
Bake in a preheated oven at 400° F for 40 minutes.
plum_pie_092414
plum_pie_092414
Vanilla Ice Cream is just sweet enough to offset the sweet/tart/bitter thing going on with the plums and orange rind. smile.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 07, 2016 12:01 am 
Spaghetti Sauce Redux (cooking for an army of one) In preparing for my annual pilgrimage, I need to get my food stuff together. Since the spaghetti sauce seemed to work so well, I figured I'd do one big batch instead of several small batches. I had no issues with storing it in the freezer for extended periods. I chose to put a different twist on it this time, using ground veal as well as the Italian sausage, and omitting the salt from the recipe altogether, as the process of dehydrating seems to concentrate and intensify the saltiness of the finished product.
spaghetti sauce ingredients
spaghetti sauce ingredients
one pound mild Italian sausage two pounds ground veal two large sweet onions minced one head celery minced four heads garlic minced two large carrots minced one half cup dry oregano one quarter cup sweet basil one half teaspoon thyme one half teaspoon rosemary one half teaspoon dill weed one half teaspoon marjoram one half teaspoon fennel seed one half teaspoon paprika one half teaspoon black peppercorns pinch dry red chili flakes nine 15-oz cans diced tomatoes (only 8 are visible in the photo) one 750ml bottle red wine olive oil no salt I ground all the herbs and spices (except the fennel seed) in a mortar and pestle to bring out their full flavors. Brown the sausage with the fennel seed until brown. I cooked it down to "hockey puck stage" to get as much fat out of it as I could. Drain on paper towels to remove excess fat:
italian sausage browned
italian sausage browned
Brown the ground veal. It doesn't seem to "brown" much:
ground veal browned
ground veal browned
Drain veal on paper towels to remove as much fat as possible. Heat a large pot and add a little olive oil. Saute the onions until soft, then add the garlic, celery, carrot, herbs and spices:
onion garlic celery carrot and herbs
onion garlic celery carrot and herbs
Add the tomatoes and wine, fill the pot with water, and bring up the heat:
tomato and wine added
tomato and wine added
This may require the use of more than one pot:
everything in the pot
everything in the pot
Simmer for four hours until thick:
simmered four hours
simmered four hours
I chilled the entire batch overnight to allow the flavors to meld. Then spread 1-1/2 cup portions onto parchment and load the dehydrator:
spread onto parchment
spread onto parchment
Dehydrate 14 hours at 135º F:
dehydrated at 135F fourteen hours
dehydrated at 135F fourteen hours
Each 1-1/2 cup portion yields about 3/4 cup dry product:
yield three quarters cup
yield three quarters cup
Individual portions bagged and ready for the freezer:
individual portions bagged
individual portions bagged
The net yield on this batch was ± 18 cups, or 12 individual portions dry. == (* If you can't get to Costco for baking parchment, "Big Lots" sells it cheap. *)

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Jul 07, 2016 1:39 pm 
You obviously eat well on the trail! wink.gif