Forum Index > Gear Talk > ultralight fishing gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
duvidl

duvidl
PostSun Jul 28, 2013 9:16 pm 
I'm thinking of taking some basic fishing gear on my next backpack trip (Stevens Pass to Stehekin on the PCT in about 2 weeks). I don't know anything about fishing, but fantasized adding some fishing line and a hook and lure to my trekking pole (Diamond Back carbon fiber Z pole), in the hopes of catching some trout in an alpine lake. I'm considering one of those Survival Fishing Kits available on Amazon, but wonder if anyone has any advice on what to bring that is ultralight, and what not to bother bringiing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jul 28, 2013 10:06 pm 
TGhere aren't many spots along that section of the PCT with decent fishing, IMO. Pear, Janus, Valhal are about all there is, IIRC. I am not sure what ultra lite fishing gear there is. I would use a Eagle Claw bacvkpacking set-up with a few spinner baits. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
fox212
lost in the woods...

fox212
lost in the woods...
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 9:09 am 
I have a very lightweight spin reel and 5' collapsible rod. With plenty of tackle, the whole kit comes in at 10oz. The reel is pretty high quality too for how small it is (Shimano, ball bearing). I can get specific models this afternoon if you'd like. If you really want the lightest fishing setup possible, check out Tenkara. A nice Tenkara rod is on my short list of "necessary" gear tongue.gif

Gil

Gil
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 10:32 am 
I have a Shakespeare Excursion setup -- telescoping rod with small spinning reel with two-pound test line. This collapses to about 13.5 inches. I carry half a dozen small lures and some swivels in a 35mm film canister -- just right for a trip of a few days. On a side note, I cut off one of the tines on each treble hook and crimp the barbs on the two others to make it easier to release the fish (and more sporting to catch them).

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 10:50 am 
This is the rod you want. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AUWG3/ As far as reel, look for something ultralight in the 7 ounce or less range with good reviews. http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&field-keywords=ultralight%20spinning%20reel

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 11:22 am 
I used to do a lot of high lakes fishing when I participated with the Hilakers, that being said there are a lot of planted and natural producing lakes throughout the cascades and also lakes reserved for native species which means no fish. Light weight equipment is easy to come by and previously mentioned by fox212. I would recommend for your consideration a 6’ collapsible rod (greater casting distance) but 5’ is doable, two pound super limp line, small reel, and two Woeden’s (or similar) ¼ ounce Rooster tails black body/tail and silver spinner and a green body/tail and brass spinner. Combine that with a ¼ ounce Crocodile pattern that is silver on one side and rainbow trout on the other; don’t forget to pinch your barbs. The last lure I would leave up to you but I have been very successful with all of the above. You might be surprised at the small lakes or pots just off the PCT, probably some Trailblazer’s private pond. Best wishes. Of course you already know the only animal that continues to grow after it dies is a? Like fox212 stated don't forger some swivels.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 2:57 pm 
I have fished high lakes and creek/streams most of my life (well, since I was 5 or 6). I would think a line and bobber tied to a trekking pole will work, but you will be very limited as to how effectively you can work the water (hence: fewer fish caught). My experience indicates that fly fishing or bait fishing will out fish lures most of the time, if not all of the time. I am not just talking about dry fly fishing only. I have a 6 piece, 9', 6 wt rod that handles just about any situation (short casts, long casts, windy to calm) or fish (Lilliputian to lunker). I carry the rod, a reel, a lanyard (with tippet, nipper, and other small tools and supplies) and a couple small boxes of flies (nymphs, streamers, dry flies, and chironomids) and it comes to less than a pound and a half. Oh yeah; I carry a pair of reading glasses too. 5x tippet is much smaller these days. With this gear I can catch fish just about anytime and anywhere there are fish to be caught! Good luck, have fun!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 2:59 pm 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
Of course you already know the only animal that continues to grow after it dies is a?
The one that got away!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 9:36 pm 
Schenk is correct, be that as it may, new to fishing, it takes a long time to match the hatch so with all due respect to Schenk I would reconsider flies and bait for lures. The only animal that grows after it dies is the story about the fish you caught.

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 10:15 pm 
Tom wrote:
This is the rod you want. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AUWG3/
I just bought one thanks. That's the rod I wanted when I saw it at a gas station, but never bought it.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 10:50 pm 
Also a lightweight spinning rod using a casting bubble-fly combo or spinner has the advantage over a fly rod when windy conditions persist, such as my recent trip to Klonaqua lake where the wind was blowing relentlessly for 2 days in our faces. I had to take the raft out to the island so I could fish with the wind.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
duvidl

duvidl
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 10:55 pm 
Thank you everyone. What an interesting conversation. I now realize how naive I am. I just thought if I put a string on the end of my trekking pole, and a hook on the end of the string, and stuck it in a lake, I might end up with a trout for dinner! Am I totally fooling myself? Do I need to schlep a bunch of gear, including a rod and reel, and learn how to use it?!?!javascript:emoticon('eek.gif')

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 11:00 pm 
This isn't legal every where but you can just throw an egg weight(slider), rigged up with bait, hook, and line.(critter style) Some places bait is not allowed.

soUthinkUcanCamp
duvidl

duvidl
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 11:11 pm 
Sounds a lot simpler, Critter.

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 11:23 pm 
To rig it you put a free sliding weight on your line. Then tie on a swivel. Now tie on about two feet of extra line below the swivel. Finally tie on the hook and bait it. The swivel will hold the weight away from the hook. The two feet of line below the swivel and weight will float up off of the bottom with the hook and bait. When a fish bites, the line will move through the weight, if the weight was fixed to the line the fish may feel the weight and spit out the bait. Good luck. I'm always looking for even simpler ways, if effective.

soUthinkUcanCamp