Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tuck Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
porkiepine

porkiepine
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 9:11 pm 
We left Seattle around 7:30 M Saturday morning for an overnight trip with Robin Lake in mind but ended up camping at Tuck Lake as result of several delays. shakehead.gif First, we got locked out of our car by the Shell gas station in Cle Elum banghead.gif doof.gif curse.gif shakehead.gif
Right after I got my insurance to send road side assistance, we unlocked the door with a metal wire. hmmm.gif embarassedlaugh.gif
We stopped for jerky in Roslyn, I forget the name but it's a little place that's been in business for 100 yrs. We got $30 worth of variety jerky for the trip. The Jamaican jerky was the best. Then we stopped along the way for whiskey but couldn't find any so we settled for beers and box wines that we brought along. drink.gif cheers.gif We also took the wrong turn on Salmon la Sac and went left to the campground instead of right on FR 4330 (very rough road for 12+ miles). We also had to drive through a creek, wasn't a problem for my subbie but could be problematic for lower clearance vehicles. We finally made it to the TH and only a few parking spots was available. We wedged ourselves between another car and a tree trunk and took off at 12 PM. It was quite an adventure for us stooges.gif just getting to the TH. We got to the Tuck & Robin Lakes junction on the right at 4.5 miles , pay attention to the sign on the right as my friend missed it since he went off 10 mins ahead. We had to run after him since he was headed for Deception Pass.
The trail becomes fun shortly after this and it gets better (worst, really steep). Me on our way back, since I'm vertically challenged, it was a lot of rock hopping for me!
We setup camp on the left side of Tuck lake away from the trail because we wanted waterfront property. In retro-spec, it was a bad decision since we all left with about 20+ mosquitoes bites each. I have a few lumps on my forehead and my right eye is swollen shut but we got some good fishing and sun soaking in.
enjoying beers and wine by Tuck Lake, it's a rough life.
enjoying beers and wine by Tuck Lake, it's a rough life.
the guys slayin some trouts at Tuck
the guys slayin some trouts at Tuck
Early moring by our campsite at Tuck Lake
Hiking out Sunday, we stopped by a view point with Hyas Lake and Cathedral Rock.
This was our decision making process whether or not to continue on to Robin Lake.
should have gone for the jugular.
should have gone for the jugular.
I lost the battle so we left, it gives me a reason to go back here again for Robin Lake, maybe a lond day trip...On our way down we chatted with a couple of campers on their way out from Tuck and they said they ran into an aggressive goat on their way to Robin Lake so they went back and camped at Tuck instead. They had a dog with them too. I read a report about the same aggressive goat at Robin Lake on WTA last week. We took a dip in Hyas Lake on our way out. The water was COLD but refreshing for my aching feet. Overall, it was an excellent trip, not many people on the trail. Guessing all the cars in the parking lot headed for Deception Pass, Cathedral or camped at Hyas. Mileage ~12 miles round trip Starting Elevation ~ 3400 ft. Ending Elevation ~ 5275 ft

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 10:15 am 
Such a beautiful place, and isn't that trail fun? It's more of the same, maybe even a little worse (climbing up roots over rocks in a couple places) up to Robin L. Thanks for the report and sweet pics.

R11

R11
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 11:10 am 
Dogs should be banned at Robin Lakes. ron

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 11:42 am 
Goats too

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 12:26 pm 
We drove the Cle Elum River Rd this weekend also. I can't believe a road with so much use is in such disrepair. All the potholes felt like the Forest Service's version of water boarding. I'm never, ever, driving that road again.

pipedream

pipedream
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 12:32 pm 
porkiepine wrote:
We stopped for jerky in Roslyn, I forget the name but it's a little place that's been in business for 100 yrs. We got $30 worth of variety jerky for the trip. The Jamaican jerky was the best.
Carek's Market - hands-down best jerky in the PNW

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 pm 
Sounds and looks like a fine consolation prize despite not making it to the higher lake. And looks like you guys know how to have fun!
R11 wrote:
Dogs should be banned at Robin Lakes.
Don't forget that TRs are in a "no spray zone"...

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...
PostTue Jul 30, 2013 1:23 pm 
Were any fish caught?

Cale Hoopes caledh@gmail.com
porkiepine

porkiepine
PostWed Jul 31, 2013 10:26 pm 
pipedream wrote:
Carek's Market - hands-down best jerky in the PNW
YUP! Thanks! We tried stopping there for more on the way back but they were closed.

porkiepine

porkiepine
PostWed Jul 31, 2013 10:29 pm 
Cale Hoopes wrote:
Were any fish caught?
Yes, my friend caught 8 fish but threw them back with the exception of one which we cooked up. We didn't have any oil or butter so we used beer. It was delicious!

ratherbhiking

ratherbhiking
PostThu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 pm 
where can I find directions to this lake? I am itching to do some fishing this weekend!

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Aug 02, 2013 12:02 am 
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=47.575368,-121.118088&z=14&t=t4 Note that the quad to the West doesn't show the trail route for some reason, but it's not hard to find. Very popular trail, may even be signed. Start hiking towards Deception Pass and you'll find the trail to Tuck & Robin lakes just beyond Little Hyas Lk if memory serves.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Aug 02, 2013 12:11 am 
It took me two days to get to the Robins when I went. Long drive, the miles at the beginning, the steep, rough trail, I stopped at Tuck, and liked it, nice little lake. Your pictures are good, thanks, brings me back. I didn't take my dog, even though they are allowed, and off-leash, too. The morning after I spent the night, my campsite was infested by dozens of marauding goats, trampling everything in sight. I laughed at my efforts of the previous day to stay on the trail or bare rock, etc, then the goats go postal on every leaf, blade of grass or pine needle in sight.

porkiepine

porkiepine
PostFri Aug 02, 2013 12:23 am 
ratherbhiking wrote:
where can I find directions to this lake? I am itching to do some fishing this weekend!
Here are the coordinates to TH 47.5444,-121.0976 If you're coming from Seattle, it's pretty straight forward from Google Maps, just the last part when you are on Salmon La Sac road, need to stay slight right going up hill( Forest Road 4330). If you go left and cross a bridge, you'll enter a campground, it's the wrong way...Drive on this very very rough road( Forest Road 4330) full of potholes for 12+ miles. You'll pass some cabins, creeks and and sign for other lakes. The trail head is at the end of the road(Deception Pass/ Hyas Lake). There is another parking lot on (your right and bathroom on your left) that you'll pass first which is for Cathedral rock. You can park there if the end lot is full. The first 3.5 miles is really flat to Hyas Lake then at 4.5 miles, take a right(sign for Tuck and Robin lake on the tree on the right). Once at the lake, there is a big campsite on the left near the toilet. We went all the way left around the lake and there were too many mosquitoes there. You can stay on the right for other campsites or continue on to Robin Lakes as well. Here's a trail map from ragman and rodman if you don't have one

porkiepine

porkiepine
PostFri Aug 02, 2013 12:35 am 
Slugman wrote:
then the goats go postal on every leaf, blade of grass or pine needle in sight.
Thanks! LOL...that made me laugh very hard for some reason because I pictured them trampling on everything but in a dancing kind of way.