Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker -Found Lake-Update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostFri Aug 23, 2013 7:11 am 
Devmyster, I can only imagine what you and your family are going through. I think of you and your ordeal often and I'm sure everyone here does as well. I certainly hope that your wishes and prayers are met and that your father is found and can return to make your lives whole again.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rietta

rietta
PostSat Aug 24, 2013 9:14 pm 
Hey folks.. still not a sign of Thom McCoy. not a stitch of gear or anything! If you are hiking anywhere in the vicinity please keep an eye open for anything out of place. He could have had to come down different route then planned.. who knows. Please keep your eyes peeled. There is now a $5000 reward for information leading to his recovery.

fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostWed Aug 28, 2013 10:02 am 
We went up there yesterday to look around...came up with nothing. Just hiked up the Rd & Trail Looking around. No other cars there except a passing Van headed toward Kindy Creek when we were just getting back to the car. Think there may be Kayakers again Thurs. to search the river. So far nothing has been found and is frustrating & troubling? confused.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 28, 2013 11:25 am 
So strange how people can just disappear. God bless and still hoping for good news. The longer this goes... Darn it.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostWed Aug 28, 2013 11:51 am 
Thanks everyone for your positive words, concern and encouragement. up.gif

Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 2:44 pm 
Is there any update to this?

Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell~ hiker and runner extraordinaire
fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostTue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 am 
Treehugger5 wrote:
Is there any update to this?
No update that I know of. So no positive news to report unfortunately. Thanks for inquiring

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 10, 2013 2:11 am 
Update please

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 20, 2013 2:45 pm 
Bump

fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostFri Sep 20, 2013 9:25 pm 
Have not heard of any update on this, so as far as I know, there has been no positive info/leads frown.gif

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostMon Sep 23, 2013 8:02 am 
I was at the SnowKing TH yesterday and saw all the signs that had been posted. Very vey sad.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 9:58 pm 
God bless him and his family.

DevMyster
Lostrail

DevMyster
Lostrail
PostFri Jul 04, 2014 9:15 am 
Very soon it will be 1 year since Thom disappeared while hiking. We miss him terribly every day. We would be honored if you would come and Celebrate Thom’s life with us On Saturday August 9th Beginning at 1:00pm We will enjoy many of Thoms favorite things: Beer, Brauts and Music Along with other food & entertainment & sharing of memories. For address and directions Please RSVP Herewith phone number included ! or to Rietta @ 425 232 3387 Thom McCoy's family will be holding a Memorial/Wake in Honor of him. This is to help thank all the volunteers to helped tirelessly in the search for him in the Found Lake Area for weeks on end. This is also a time to reflect on the memories of Thom's life and to give thanks to the time that we had with him. "I have thought briefly about getting caught in rock slides or falling from a rock face. If that happened, I would probably perish on the mountain in much the same way many of the big animals do. I would be long gone before anyone found me. My only wish would be that folks wouldn't spend a lot of time searching. When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness? Thom's favorite quote from "Alone in the Wilderness Posted by Pam McCoy

fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostTue Oct 14, 2014 8:50 pm 
Here is an update on the search for Thom Mccoy. He was found around Sept 23rd 2014 or shortly there after. A hiker(Fish Stocker) found his pack initially between Found and Cyclone lake. You can read the post below from one of the Family members for more info (I was informed by Family that this was ok to post) The mystery is over and even though painful for the Family/Community, it is a relief, I'm sure, to now know what happened. The below quoted text is from the Family member (I will add that his camera had no pictures on it only from his previous hike, which may indicate he fell on the first day?): "For all of you who sent your love and prayers to my husbands family while they searched for Thom ( Find Thom-McCoy ), please see Pam Maas-Mc Coy message posted today : Friends and family: Last week we got a call from SAR (Skagit search and rescue). A hiker found some items off the trail that might be Thom's. Devin went and identified the items as his. This was enough to restart the search for Thom. Two teams were helicoptered in (including Devin and the hiker who found the items) for the search. Sean and Jerry were not allowed on the helicopter (civilians) so they had to make the arduous hike in.... Result is we found Thom and his pack. It looks like he had a catastrophic fall in a very steep/cliff area. We're not sure how he came to be in that area or how/why he fell. Many people have mentioned that now we have closure. We do, but the only way I can explain it ...Its like we tore a scab off a wound too early and now its bleeding again....I miss him terribly. It would have been his birthday on Oct 9th...He would have been 63 years old. We want to thank: Skagit search and rescue, Snohomish Helicopter rescue team, Everett Mountain Rescue, the hiker Minda who found the debris and called the Skagit Sheriff Dept., Dirk and Kati Tilly who have graciously donated the $5K reward (To be donated between the hiker ( even though she says she wants it donated, we'll find a way honor her), and the rescue teams involved. Thank You all, The McCoy family.

fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostTue Oct 14, 2014 9:30 pm 
Sorry, but had to edit/delete out a part of the above post due to some info not totally accurate requested by Family. I will not be posting any more info due to not being totally accurate. I will let the Family do so if they desire. Thanks all!