Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker -Found Lake-Update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostThu Oct 16, 2014 9:04 am 
Look at the 4800ft saddle and trail that goes down to the outlet...your map as far as I can see doesn't show that trail

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
marydave
Musical Hikers

marydave
Musical Hikers
PostThu Oct 16, 2014 7:45 pm 
I walked down the beginning of the Found Lake branch of the trail from the saddle and it was a pretty well-established trail for the first 100 yards, at least. We were headed up for the views that day, so I didn't continue further. It happened to be the day they called the SAR operation off. Although it seemed inevitable his body would be found someday, and there is something to having closure, it's a very sad thing in a year full of them in the mountains. My thoughts and condolences are with Thom's family, one of whom we met that day, and my gratitude goes out to the SAR volunteers.

DevMyster
Lostrail

DevMyster
Lostrail
PostSat Nov 08, 2014 8:55 pm 
Hey Everyone, Sorry for not getting to the thread to update it since we found dad (Lostrail on this forum). We found dad and brought him home. I wont disclose the location of his remains due to the fact that we dont want anyone going into that area to disrupt any future trips to the location to recover any other loose items that didn't get collected on the original recovery. Also to keep the area as a spot of remembrance instead of anger from people disrupting the area. If you wish to pay tribute to my father you can see him up at Lyman Cemetery near the Flag pole. No head stone yet but, it is marked with his name. I can say that he wasn't following the "trail" on the map ( since the trail on the map actually doesn't exist at all anymore, if you've been to found and tracked it on your GPS you would know this). And he wasn't going into found from the Enjar/Hammer lakes area. My father was one hell of a back-woodsmen and taught me everything that I know and it wasn't an novice mistake that cause his early demise. BackpackerJoe, I've always wanted to say this but I haven't yet. Dad and I met you once a few years back at Enjar lake. We were heading to Whale Lake but got rained out on our approach and stropped at Enjar to dry out for the night. I would post a picture of us but I don't have any on this computer. But, I think if you look at some posts from Lostrail on this site about Enjar lake you'll see them
Thanks everyone for all the blessings and the support. I wish everyone safe travels on their next adventures and hope you all find the peace and tranquility my father did when he spent time in the high lakes, fishing and relaxing away from the crazy/ unforgiving place we call, the real world. Thank you DevMyster (LostrailJr) Devin McCoy

Chico

Chico
PostSat Nov 08, 2014 9:02 pm 
Devin, You and your family have my sincere sympathies on the loss of your father. May you always fondly remember the memories. Chico (aka Chris)

DevMyster
Lostrail

DevMyster
Lostrail
PostSat Nov 08, 2014 9:08 pm 
"The speculations are incorrect. Many of y'all's assumptions are incorrect. (understandable, since you have very little to go off) HRT9 was stationed where he was because he was with the radio repeater, which was strictly a communication thing, not any indication of our operating area. I understand that people really want to know the location and circumstances, but the family has not chosen to reveal them at this time. I know the weather sucks and most people are stuck inside with nothing better to do than make up scenarios (something I have been guilty of myself more than once), but this may lead to assumptions/"data" being created and spreading thanks to the wonderful internet - something that I believe can hurt Thom McCoy's family. So how about we not do that? Thank you." Thanks Yana!