Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker -Found Lake-Update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Cowart
hiker/fisherman

Josh Cowart
hiker/fisherman
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 12:46 pm 
There is a trail that exists on some Topos that go from found lake up to the ridge that leads to the cyclones. I can assure you that if a person tried to find this trail they would end up in some extremely exposed areas. This is one of many places I would look for Thom. Another is the route to unnamed lakes on the other side of snowking. If I had 5 days in the area and had already been to the found lakes I could see doing a trip to those lakes as well as trying to get to arrow possibly.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DevMyster
Lostrail

DevMyster
Lostrail
PostSat Aug 17, 2013 10:17 am 
Hello everyone, I am Pam, Thoms wife. My sons, friends and complete strangers wanted to help are up there today (Sat) and mostly Sunday. My oldest son Sean is has a base camp where all the cars park. I would appreciate any help your group can give, and I dont have to explain how ardourous the hike is. I am trying to get dogs in also. Thank you all for your well wishes and support...Lets bring him home.. Pam McCoy

KT2877

KT2877
PostSat Aug 17, 2013 12:32 pm 
The family is now offering a $5,000 reward to the hiker(s) who find Thom McCoy. Please help us to bring him home.

rietta

rietta
PostSat Aug 17, 2013 10:42 pm 
so far there has been no sign of Thom McCoy . There is a party of family and friends searching the whole Found Lakes area. If you can come and help on Sunday PLEASE do !!!! at this time we need more eyes on the ground. Thank you !

DevMyster
Lostrail

DevMyster
Lostrail
PostMon Aug 19, 2013 9:33 am 
Hello this is Pam, Thom's wife. The ground search yielded no results. Now its the dogs turn. I have hired Harry Oakes and his SAR dogs to look for Thom over the next few days. Harry asked that all searchers come down from the lakes. Thank you all for your support, prayers, sweat and all out effort. Backpakers in the NW are the best!! Thank You all Pam, Sean and Devin McCoy

gb

gb
PostMon Aug 19, 2013 9:38 am 
If your husband/father was a climber or scrambler he might have tried a climb of Snow King. One place I would look, if you've not already thought of it is near the base of snowfields in the event he took a fall.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Aug 19, 2013 10:09 am 
I'm sure SAR has thought of this, but if Thom is a climber/scrambler, he would, like the rest of us, be drawn towards the summit. There's a path to Cyclone Lake. The standard route is the ENE ridge, an inviting place to ramble. Long ago, I observed people walking unroped on the glacier near the ridge, crossing undulations in the surface that looked like bridged crevasses to me from above. A friend remembers large crevices and fissures in the rock in that area, large and deep enough to fall into and get hurt. There are several summits and sub-summits that invite exploration.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
rietta

rietta
PostMon Aug 19, 2013 9:01 pm 
http://www.gofundme.com/FindThomMcCoy the search is continuing , his family needs help with this ! the face book page is Find Thom McCoy Thank you !

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Aug 20, 2013 12:44 am 
God bless Pam. Youre all in my prayers..

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Aug 20, 2013 8:49 am 
Vibes to Thom and his family, friends and searchers

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Aug 20, 2013 11:34 am 
Sending good thoughts Thom's way. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
ldyblade

ldyblade
PostTue Aug 20, 2013 7:30 pm 
Thoughts and prayers to Thom's family and best of luck to the searchers!

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Aug 22, 2013 1:26 pm 
Any update on this?

DevMyster
Lostrail

DevMyster
Lostrail
PostThu Aug 22, 2013 7:54 pm 
Hey Everyone, I know I haven't been updating all of you on my father search efforts as of late but, I have been very busy helping to search for my father. Anyways, As of right now, I went in with the dog search team via helicopter to found lake yesterday and had the dogs do their best. We got some strong signs that he is in the Found Lake area still but, he wasn't found. After talking with Skagit Sheriff Office and a few of the deputies that I've been in contact with regularly, it sounds like they're going back in with a dog search team. That should be as early as tomorrow but for sure this weekend. I'll be contacting them again today to see If I can aid in the efforts by going back into found for the fifth time. P.S I want to also take this post to thank everyone who has either donated their time to the search effort that took place last weekend or who donated money to the Gofund Me page to help pay for all the search efforts (dogs, helicopters etc). I can't believe how many people showed up last weekend and how many people are still donating towards my dads rescue. Thank you all. I swear none of your time or money will not go in vain

Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostThu Aug 22, 2013 10:02 pm 
DevMyster, I sincerely hope this nightmare is over for you soon and your father is found safe and brought home.

Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell~ hiker and runner extraordinaire