Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is there much snow in the Goat Rocks yet?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Nov 07, 2014 6:26 pm 
I'm planning a trip to Snowgrass Flats sometime in the next few days. Any idea how much snow I might find there?

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostFri Nov 07, 2014 7:22 pm 
Try calling the Cowlitz Valley Ranger District, 360-497-1100. They may or may not know. (the front desk can oftentimes be frustrating to talk to). The trick is to know who to ask but this late in the year they probably have not been up the trail.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Nov 08, 2014 1:15 am 
Nac: CVRD is short staffed and the people you want to talk to might be on another assignment elsewhere or out in the field. You may have to leave a message on a voice mail and wait for a call back. Trail conditions/road conditions for that area: White Pass Shopper can sometimes be your best source.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Nov 08, 2014 1:41 am 
Well, thanks for the tips! I've never had much luck with the ranger district, I remember one year I called and asked what the snow level was in the area and they didn't have a clue! I think there must be so few people working there that none of them have time to get out on the trails. Thanks for the link to White Pass Shopper Ski, if it is correct the trail should be mostly snow free up until the lower meadows. I'll have to write up a trip report for this one, a task I have sorely neglected over the last several months!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSat Nov 08, 2014 7:33 am 
There are SNOTELs in the surrounding area that might provide you with some guidance as to how much snow may be in the area.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Nov 08, 2014 11:35 am 
Nac, it's a big district, and there's only so many staff people up there, and they're not out wandering around on trails all the time so that people here can have the latest info on blowdowns or snow levels. White Pass Shopper is usually good info for the most part. Sometimes it can be way out of date.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 08, 2014 12:23 pm 
There was no snow to be seen on top of Burley Mtn. The first big dump of snow is usually next week.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
drm

drm
PostSat Nov 08, 2014 5:23 pm 
Now and in the next few days, you should be fine. I was up to nearly 6000' on Mt Hood today and not a hint of snow and short sleeve temps. But temps are plummeting around here by later in the week. We are supposed to have some snow here at 600' by Thursday, so all best are off for next weekend.