Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goode Mountain - 8/12/2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 11:09 am 
We climbed Goode the easy way, the SW couloir. It wasn't easy, but most ascent parties get kudos for the tougher NE buttress route. At 9200 feet, Goode is the 9th highest peak in Washington state.
Goode seen from Black 2011
Goode seen from Black 2011
approaching Stehekin
approaching Stehekin
Buckner
Buckner
Goode
Goode
We took the fast boat to Stehekin Saturday and hiked as far as we could before the storms hit. We had planned to stay in 5-mile-camp but ran out of time. We pitched our tent off-trail down by the river. The next day Greg and I hiked from the park creek trail to the climbers camp in 2 hours and 45 minutes. We were rushing ahead of Edward and Dave because we wanted to have a shot at Storm King. The boot path is hard to find at first but easy to follow most of the way.
Booker
Booker
Goode
Goode
After pitching our tent at 7380 feet we made the traverse on snow and loose rock over to Storm King. We ascended loose talus/scree and slabs until we reached the base of the nasty loose rotten gully at 8250 feet. We scrambled up about 15 feet. A crack of thunder boomed. We looked at each other. F**k! The rain started. We retreated to the base of the gully over loose wet rock.
Storm King
Storm King
rotten gully
rotten gully
Discussing our options, we decided to wait for awhile and watch the weather. The sky didn't look too bad, just some partial clouds and the dark one passing overhead toward the east. After 15 minutes, the storm passed and the sky looked promising again. We started back up the gully until the scrambling became intimidating. I then belayed Greg while he place a few pieces and climbed up to the col. I heard him say “Oh F**k!” He later explained that he mantled up and came face to face with the abyss. The notch itself was only a foot wide.
Greg near the notch
Greg near the notch
wall of water coming
wall of water coming
Goode
Goode
At this point I heard more thunder. I turned around and saw that the sky had darkened. Then I noticed a wall of falling water coming our way. It was infuriatingly cliche but we were getting stormed-off Storm King. I told Greg that I thought it would be better for him to rap down and clean the route rather than for me to come up to him. That's what he did.
retreat
retreat
injury
injury
We did our best to get back to camp before getting slammed by the storm. There was heavy rain and then hail. While crossing a moat at the edge of a snowfield, Greg fell 5 feet when the snow collapsed below him, softened by the rain. He cut his hand very deeply and there was blood everywhere, on the rocks, and all over his shirt. The gash was half an inched deep and his skin had separated. There was a lot of soft-tissue exposed. I helped bandage him up with gauge and duct tape. I had to use a lot of tape because the rain was so heavy in that moment. He tied a bandana over the whole mess and we kept moving. We got back to camp completely drenched and spent the rest of the day hiding from rain in our tents.
The next day we we were up and moving by 6:15am. Greg said he wasn't even going to think about his hand during the climb. I wondered to myself how he was going to deal with the pain. One thing was for sure, he would lead none of the pitches.
Sinister, Glacier, Dome
Sinister, Glacier, Dome
We scrambled up the moraine and crossed the glacier remnant to reach the small rotten ridge below the SW couloir. A lot of rocks moved around as we were climbing up to reach the crest of the ridge. We scrambled along the crest and we could now see the couloir above us. We found one of two exposed cliffy ramps which allow access into the couloir. The couloir was broad and the scrambling easy. Along the left side we found the mythical “black stairs”, a vein of darker solid rock with step formations.
black stairs
black stairs
Dave leading the slab pitch
Dave leading the slab pitch
Black Tooth Notch
Black Tooth Notch
We ascended the staircase to within 50 vertical feet of the apparent chimney at climbers left. Here we roped up and Dave led the horizontal slab pitch to reach the hidden gully on the right side of the couloir. From there we scrambled up to Black Tooth Notch. Whoa! Suddenly we were high on the northeast face of Goode, with thousands of feet of exposure below. We followed a broad sandy ledge north for 30 feet and then rappelled down 20 feet to another ledge. We followed the ledge north and then scrambled up onto the famed NE buttress.
hidden gully
hidden gully
exposure
exposure
Greg on the NE buttress
Greg on the NE buttress
name those peaks
1 label
name those peaks
Edward leading
Edward leading
Here we roped up again and Edward led a long pitch up to a higher notch at the very top of the NE buttress. We secured both ends of the rope and then Dave and I used prussiks while we simultaneously climbed up to Edward. Greg followed with a belay. Was this good weather going to hold for us? That was the big question.
we have to climb that?
we have to climb that?
Something didn't seem right. The little notch we had reached was terribly exposed and what stood in front of us looked too hard to climb (too hard for us hikers). So we scrambled/belayed/climbed down to another ledge further west. Edward led the last long pitch straight up to the summit. A team of two climbers completing the NE buttress route passed us. Dave and I did the prussik thing again and Greg followed with a belay. I was happy to see the bivy spots on the summit, which I had previously heard about. There was a register from 2011 left by Franklin B and Andy D. This was certainly one of the best views in Washington!
bivy spots
bivy spots
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Forbidden, Eldorado, Baker
Forbidden, Eldorado, Baker
Logan
Logan
We reversed the route using both our 60 meters ropes for long rappels. After the first rap, the rope got stuck. It would not budge. I tied one end of it to my harness while Greg prussiked up the other side to fix it. Then there was one sketchy class 4 traverse which we did un-roped near the top of Black Tooth Notch. It scared the crap out of me.
the unroped 4th class traverse
the unroped 4th class traverse
We spent a second night at high camp and hiked out the following day. Back near Coon Lake, we encountered thousands of tiny toads on the ground. It was difficult to avoid stepping on them but I did my best. Tuesday evening we stayed with our friends Trapper and Roxanne in Stehekin, wonderful generous people. They cooked us pizza from scratch and offered us clean beds and showers, living vicariously through our photos and stories of the climb.
Rainbow Falls
Rainbow Falls
Dave says, "we climbed this one"
Dave says, "we climbed this one"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 11:48 am 
The pictures of your Goode climb and description are so compelling I'm at a loss for words. Don't think you can put yourself in the "hikers" category after this climb! How's Greg's hand? One of my climbing partners died on Storm King so I'm more-than-respectful towards this peak.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 12:12 pm 
Quote:
looked too hard to climb (too hard for us hikers).
lol.gif Great pics, great adventure. I wonder what that summit bivvy would have been like in the big storm.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 12:46 pm 
Epic! up.gif Super glad the storm didn't get you. Hope Greg got it cleaned up after he got back to civilization.

Arete

Arete
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 1:46 pm 
Great climb, description, and pictures! It has been more than 30 years since I did this route on a typically stormy Labor Day. We have few pictures from that trip and these bring back so many great memories of things I'd forgotten. Thanks!

iron

iron
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 1:55 pm 
glad the hand injury wasn't worse. question: why do people approach via stehekin? it seems up and over cascade pass would be easier/faster if coming from the W side. i mapped it out not long ago. i think it came out to a push, mileage wise, if not for the advantage of the CP route.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 2:03 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
Yikes! That looks ominous eek.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 2:53 pm 
Gnarly up.gif up.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 3:16 pm 
Awesome adventure!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 6:15 pm 
I am awed every time I hear serious thunderstorm accounts in the WA Cascades. I have always told myself "I can climb all day in WA...thunderstorms are a Colorado problem" This is a mindset I need to change...I am shocked at what happened there last weekend...truly shocked. I didn't think thunderstorms were ever an issue there but I am glad everyone made it safely...though not getting Storm King really, really sucks! I know how badly you wanted Storm King Adam...as I can scarcely imagine not getting it and being forced to go back up there for it. In light of all that, you are an excellent climber for making that dreadful decision despite the desire to make that summit. Congrats on Goode though! I am very excited for that one...that buttress thingy is calling my name.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
gb

gb
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 6:24 pm 
Matt Lemke wrote:
Congrats on Goode though! I am very excited for that one...that buttress thingy is calling my name.
The buttress is almost certainly the best route on the mountain. (The foot of the glacier can be 45-50 degree ice for a pitch or so). After a messy bit getting onto the buttress, the rock is quite good, even 3rd class scrambling on clean rock for around 1000'. There are only a couple of 5.5 moves about 2/3 of the way up but 8-9 total pitches of 5th class on good rock. The last 400' is not as solid but is only 4th class. The NE face is not nearly as good. I thought the standard route (descent gully - be sure not to descend the box-shaped one) was solid, too. When we were on the mountain we had thunderstorms, too. We had to get into our bivy sacks and wait overnight on a broad ledge 400-600' below the summit. Luckily, the storm passed east of us about 5 miles. I watched Black get lit up several times. Had the storm come over us we could easily have gotten electrocuted as the ledge we were on was kind of damp dirt and would have held water, hence ground shock. As it was, our storm lasted 12 hours. It was hot, like lately with a SE flow and at Stehekin I asked about T-storms, but none were in the forecast.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 6:50 pm 
up.gif Nice !

Living in the Anthropocene
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 9:27 pm 
Congratulations on a major peak. That your friend was able to climb Goode after a nasty injury speaks volumes for his fortitude: I wish him speedy recovery. >hiked as far as we could before the storms hit. I assume you took the shuttle and then hiked: is the road after High Bridge open? Can you ride a bike to Park TH? Thanks. N

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostFri Aug 16, 2013 1:18 pm 
Really enjoyed the video addition! Was the log bridge you crossed the one just past two mile camp? If so, it was higher and a trickier proposition last year in July. Glad to see footage of the black rock stairway and ensuing slab traverse.

Spotly

Spotly
PostFri Aug 16, 2013 6:14 pm 
Very nice TR! Congrats.