Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Mozilla Firefox problems ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Aug 21, 2013 5:22 am 
Anybody else having a problem with Mozilla Firefox? or is it just something in my system? Starting sometime yesterday (Tuesday, August 20), my Mozilla Firefox connection went into total freeze-up. When I attempt to use it, I get a blank screen and the rotating 'connecting' symbol is stopped dead. Firefox is my main browser and includes my links to Adobe, Flickr, and nwhikers, not to mention my bookmarks, so losing it is a real pain. Is it a pain anybody else has got ..... meaning Firefox is probably working on it ..... or is it a personal problem ...... meaning I've got to do something about it, myself? irked.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Aug 21, 2013 6:19 am 
I use Firefox (version 23.0.1) as my main browser. I haven't noticed anything strange (yet anyway), lol.gif

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Aug 21, 2013 6:28 am 
Mine locks up on me sometimes when searching for or installing updates. It seems to have been doing that a lot lately.

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Aug 21, 2013 6:43 am 
Well I have had it lock up/get lost on occasion, but it always has resolved itself by shutting it down and restarting. It is working now and has been pretty consistently. I didn't gather your problem was NOT some kind of one time issue. It sounds more permanent. If all else fails try uninstall/reinstall. I am not sure, but I don't think you would lose your bookmarks.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Aug 21, 2013 8:00 am 
Thanks. That's enough to tell me it's a personal problem. ..... Funny thing is, Firefox apparently expects that individuals will have problems. There's a whole section on, 'What to do, if .....' And tigermn, I hate uninstall/reinstall. You do lose your bookmarks, and I've got an awful lot of them. frown.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
mike

mike
PostWed Aug 21, 2013 8:48 am 
Scrooge wrote:
You do lose your bookmarks, and I've got an awful lot of them.
No you don't. They're still there. Import them back when up and running. Firefox has a backup and restore feature since way back.
Quote:
Creating bookmark backups Firefox automatically creates daily rotating backups of your bookmarks. The most recent bookmark backup files are stored in the bookmarkbackups folder, located in the Firefox profile folder. You can also create your own bookmark backups, by opening the Library window, clicking the "Import and Backup" button (button with a star icon on Mac OS) and selecting "Backup...". The Backup feature allows you to save a bookmark backup file (e.g., "bookmarks-2010-12-03.json") to the location of your choice. Bookmark backup files are stored in JSON format and can be restored from the Library window of any Firefox installation, as shown below. Restoring bookmarks from backup You can replace your current bookmarks with a backup from the Firefox Library window. Click the "Import and Backup" button or the button with a star icon (on Mac OS) and then select the "Restore" option. You can select one of the dated backups that Firefox automatically creates or you can use the "Choose File..." option to select another bookmark backup, such as a backup you created yourself or one from the bookmarkbackups folder of another profile (see Profile folder - Firefox for profile location). If you see the error, Unable to process the backup file, read Unable to process the backup file - Firefox. If you choose to restore your own bookmark backup file, it must be in JSON format. Any bookmarks saved in HTML format, such as exported bookmarks, must be imported (see below)

contour5

contour5
PostFri Aug 23, 2013 11:34 pm 
Not sure which OS you're using... On a Mac, make sure you don't have it set to "work offline"- under the File menu. Might be your internet connection. Try unplugging and re-connecting your ethernet/cable connection. Turn the modem/router off and then back on. I periodically make a copy of my bookmarks from a command under the bookmarks menu- it makes an html file that can be opened by any browser. Sometimes a re-install is necessary...no need to uninstall- I just rename the old version by appending the version number, so the 2 versions can co-exist happily.