Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lime Ridge, via Meadow Mtn, Fire Mtn, & NW Ridge 8/18 – 8/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Aug 26, 2013 11:35 pm 
Party: Matt, mtnmike, (plus a surprise guest and dog) Itinerary: Day 1: Hike Meadow Mtn trail to base of Meadow Mtn. Side trip to Meadow Mtn. Camp at headwater basin of Owl Creek. Day 2: Continue trail to Fire Mountain. Carry over Fire Mtn true summit. Traverse to meet PCT at col above Mica Lake. Camp at Mica Lake. Day 3: Lime Ridge High Route to Lime, Milk, & Twin Lakes. Side trip to Lime Ridge Point 6662. Camp at Lower Twin Lake. Day 4: Lime Ridge High Route to Rivord Lake, Lake 5698, & Upper Box Mtn Lake. Side trips to Lime & Box Mtns. Go over Point 6409. Descend basin northwest to camp at Lake 5108. Day 5: Descend ridge northwest to switchbacks of Lime Creek Road. Hike South Suiattle Road to car at Circle Creek.
Our route goes across the back side of Meadow, Fire & Lime Mountains
Our route goes across the back side of Meadow, Fire & Lime Mountains
Route Track (courtesy of mtnmike)
Route Track (courtesy of mtnmike)
I'll fill in the report later this week, but a friend has requested to see some of the photos sooner, so here they are: The Lakes:
Emerald Lake
Emerald Lake
Fire Mtn Lake
Fire Mtn Lake
Mica Lake from above
Mica Lake from above
Mica Lake
Mica Lake
Lime Lake
Lime Lake
Junction Tarn
Junction Tarn
Milk Lakes from above
Milk Lakes from above
Lower Milk
Lower Milk
Upper Milk
Upper Milk
Lower Twin Lake
Lower Twin Lake
Lower Twin Lake Sunrise
Lower Twin Lake Sunrise
Rivord Lake
Rivord Lake
Rivord Lake from above
Rivord Lake from above
Lake 5698
Lake 5698
Upper Box Mtn Lake
Upper Box Mtn Lake
Box Mtn Lakes from Box Mtn
Box Mtn Lakes from Box Mtn
Lake 5108
Lake 5108
Lower Box Mtn Lake, Lake 5698 & Rivord Lake from Lime Mountain
Lower Box Mtn Lake, Lake 5698 & Rivord Lake from Lime Mountain
Day 1: Meadow Mtn trail & Meadow Mtn Meadow Mtn TH to base of Meadow Mtn We made a car shuttle to place one car where the South Suiattle Road ends at Circle Creek, then drove over Rat Trap Pass to the Meadow Mountain trailhead. We hiked the trail to the base of Meadow Mountain, at the headwaters of Owl Creek. The first five miles of the trial is actually the old road, abandoned at least 25 years ago. The further parts of the trail opened into some fine meadows.
"Trail" that's actually a road (plus grouse)
"Trail" that's actually a road (plus grouse)
Meadows!
Meadows!
Flowers!
Flowers!
Food!
Food!
Mountain!
Mountain!
Meadow Mountain 6324 Meadow Mountain turned out to be a bit of a steep scramble just below the top, but still 3rd class if you look carefully for where to climb. It provided a fine view down toward Emerald lake and way out along the ridges of Meadow, Fire & Lime Mountains, but clouds were hiding the tops of all the higher peaks in the area.
Meadow Mtn summit
Meadow Mtn summit
Steep scramble just below the summit
Steep scramble just below the summit
Mike on Meadow Mtn (with more Meadow Mtn & Fire Mtn behind)
Mike on Meadow Mtn (with more Meadow Mtn & Fire Mtn behind)
Matt on Meadow Mtn (with Lime Ridge behind)
Matt on Meadow Mtn (with Lime Ridge behind)
Emerald Lake & Lime Ridge
Emerald Lake & Lime Ridge
Meadow Mountain Camp It was getting late in the afternoon, and we weren't sure how far it would be to the next water, so we made camp nearby at the Owl Creek headwaters basin. The best camps were on a knoll between above the eastern fork of the stream. Scattered around the crest of the knoll were so many flat grassy patches that you could probably lay out an 8-hole course of putting greens.
Pika near our packs
Pika near our packs
The putting greens of Owl Creek basin
The putting greens of Owl Creek basin
A very green evening
A very green evening
Day 1 stats: Drive & car shuttle: 2:40 hours With packs: 10.2 miles, 3904 gain, 881 loss, 6:30 hours Meadow Mtn side trip: 1.62 miles, 890 gain, 2:00 hours Route Notes: The road was bikable to its end. There was water at about mile 4.5 on the road. If the previous evening hadn't been rainy, it would have made a good head start for the trip. Day 2: Meadow Mtn to Fire Mtn to Mica Lake Meadow Mountain to Fire Mountain The remainder of Meadow Mountain became very meadowy. Under overcast skies, it was a green green world. About 2 miles past our camp, the trail climbed up onto the crest near Point 6023. On the opposite (north) side was a side trail leading down a broad bench toward Diamond Lake. Far below on the south side, the Whitechuck River wound its lonely way past the road and trail that it had destroyed.
Meadow hiking
Meadow hiking
The bench back to Diamond Lake
The bench back to Diamond Lake
A bit of blue sky appears
A bit of blue sky appears
Whitechuck River far below
Whitechuck River far below
The meadows provided flowers to delight the eyes and fruit to delight the tongue. The flowers and berries were at all different stages of ripeness, probably based on how recently they had melted out of the snow. I saw lupine ranging from bright flowers to finished seed pods, and blueberries ranging from tiny green ones to bright blue ones. There were some flowers that appeared to be a type of paintbrush, but had an unusual pale yellow color with a rosy core, which I havent' seen before. Did I mention that the meadows were very green?
Lupine & bistort
Lupine & bistort
Fireweed & columbine
Fireweed & columbine
Paintbrush?
Paintbrush?
Berries
Berries
Green, green, green, with a bit of blue & white
Green, green, green, with a bit of blue & white
Fire Mountain 6702 To reach Fire Mountain, we departed the trail when it had dropped to about 5300 feet, and then followed the crest upward to the lower, named summit.
The ridge running up to False Fire
The ridge running up to False Fire
Mike looking from False Fire toward True Fire
Mike looking from False Fire toward True Fire
Clouds were rapidly closing off our views, but there was a fine surprise on the back side of the summit, a bright jade colored lake nestled in the glacier carved rock, plus another mostly snow-covered lake higher up.
Me on False Fire with Fire Mtn Lakes
Me on False Fire with Fire Mtn Lakes
Clouds lift for a view of Lime Ridge
Clouds lift for a view of Lime Ridge
We continued along the crest to the true summit at 6702. Clouds completely covered the summit, but very briefly provided a glimpse of a third, snow-covered lake below.
Mike traveling the crest between False & True Fire
Mike traveling the crest between False & True Fire
Brief glimpse of another lake in the basin north of True Fire
Brief glimpse of another lake in the basin north of True Fire
Fire Mountain to Mica Col Now we needed to get to the PCT above Mica Lake. We angled down staying a couple hundred feet below the crest of Fire's southeast ridge, in order to get past the sharp outcrop that blocks the ridge midway, and then came up onto the ridge crest at the col before Point 6326. The final meadow was very steep, and my worn out boot edges were slipping, so I barely made it up by stabbing in my ice axe pick with one hand and grabbing grass and heather with the other hand.
The outcrop blocking the ridge to Fire Creek Pass
The outcrop blocking the ridge to Fire Creek Pass
Decorated rocks
Decorated rocks
Three Marmots in the Rocks
Three Marmots in the Rocks
PCT to Mica Lake Mica Lake was a blue gem below, with Grassy Point a green crest across from us. After all the steep side-hilling, my feet were very relieved to walk on flat trail bed down to the lake.
Mica Lake
Mica Lake
PCT descending to Mica Lake
PCT descending to Mica Lake
Tarn above Mica Lake
Tarn above Mica Lake
Evening at Mica Lake We were surprised that no through-hikers came through while we were camped at Mica. It was getting late in the day, but a quick swim felt great for rinsing off the trail grime. After dark, moonlight lit the clouds above and below us.
Camp at Mica Lake
Camp at Mica Lake
Swimming with the fishes
Swimming with the fishes
Moonlit clouds above and below us
Moonlit clouds above and below us
Day 2 Stats: 10 miles, 3460 gain, 3310 loss, 10:30 hours (includes 1:45 on summits) Route Notes: On the east half of the Meadow Mtn trail, there was water for camping on the bench leading down to Diamond Lake and at the stream with elevation marker 5344 on the map. For the Fire Mountain High Route, Tabor & Crowder recommend traversing below the peak circa 5500 feet and coming up to the PCT col from directly below, which would have avoided the steep meadows, but missed the summits. They also mention that there are camps on benches in the basin.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Aug 27, 2013 12:15 am 
Matt youre an animal. What a fantastic trip. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
contour5

contour5
PostTue Aug 27, 2013 8:29 am 
Nice pictures, Matt. I've been looking at this area; looking forward to the rest of the report!

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Aug 27, 2013 8:33 am 
Wowza! Among others, the photo of Fire Mountain Lake is amazing!

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostTue Aug 27, 2013 12:12 pm 
up.gif up.gif Your exit ridge route is interesting. I have been considering some variants accessed from FS road 25 using ridges east of your route. This could be a good option after they close FS 26 for construction.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 pm 
up.gif up.gif great trip

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Aug 27, 2013 2:02 pm 
Love it! Can't wait for details, Matt. up.gif up.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Aug 27, 2013 3:08 pm 
Such rich colors in the photos. Waiting for more ...

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Aug 27, 2013 5:15 pm 
Nice up.gif

Eric Eames
hikapath

hikapath
PostTue Aug 27, 2013 6:57 pm 
wow--favorite place wish I could still get there--by the way there are two Rivord lakes--the highest lake under Lime Mt is upper Rivord--Bill would probably would not make too big an issue--

hikapath

hikapath
PostTue Aug 27, 2013 9:06 pm 
As for the name of the upper lake--go to Tabor and Crowder--probably not official but does have history. Second go to the Lakes of Western Washington published by the state--lots of confirmation in there. I have noticed that some recent maps do not label Upper Rivord, and I do find that a bit disturbing. I consider it lack of research on recent creators of these maps--not the first time. Inspiration--good grief that is the same name they have now hung on Talisman in the Enchantments--wonder if it is the same person. Bill was a pretty inspiring person that did a lot for the wilderness there--the decision to name the lakes for him (technically for his father since he was still alive at the time) should not be cast off on a whim or lack of research.--sorry about the rant. By the way those are great photos, bring back some really great memories--would really love to go back there again--thank you from an old man.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Aug 27, 2013 10:25 pm 
For now, I'm going to stay with the neutral reference to Lake 5698, just using it's elevation number. I have seen maps with Indigo Lake, but that's clearly wrong, because there's another Indigo Lake named on USGS maps near Circle Peak. I can see "Upper Rivord" as a possibility, since it's drainage stream merges with Rivord. However, Tabor & Crowder don't name it, even though they refer to all of the other lakes by name. They refer to it as "the lake close below Lime Mountain." The also refer to the route as the "Rivord Lake High Route," with Rivord lake singular, not plural, so I don't think they intended to apply the "Rivord" name to the 5698-foot lake. Of course, anyone can personally use whatever name they like.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Aug 27, 2013 10:25 pm 
Something for the fishermen:

KarlK

KarlK
PostWed Aug 28, 2013 9:06 pm 
Matt wrote:
For now, I'm going to stay with the neutral reference to Lake 5698, just using it's elevation number.
Big Frank and I hiked to this lake many times in the early '80s; I'm pretty sure it was known as Upper Rivord in that timeframe. It's certainly Upper Rivord in my mindframe. It's a magical place. Question: how was the ridge decent from Lime Ridge on the hike out? I've considered this as an interesting possibility many a time.

Karl J Kaiyala
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Aug 28, 2013 9:27 pm 
Beautiful. Thanks for the report, Matt.