Forum Index > Trip Reports > California Coast part 5: Lost Coast and Redwoods
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:45 pm 
I'm kinda cramming these together, gotta wrap it up. Lost Coast is a pain in the ass to get to, but cool once you're there. I only did a short jaunt on the northern end of it, to the abandoned Punta Gorda lighthouse and a little further to Sea Lion Gulch. Although it's totally different, it felt to me like it has a bit of a kinship with our Olympic coastal strip. Something unique about a stretch of true wilderness beach. I can definitely see the alure of doing a backpacking trip here.
I didn't doing anything in the National Park, I didn't see the world's tallest tree. Unfortunately this area is plagued by some kitschy commercialization. But I did a loop dayhike in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park that was wonderful. Got to see some big trees, a short jaunt along the beach, and experienced the fantastic Fern Canyon! I don't get pseudo religious when talking about hiking, but the short walk thru this canyon felt like entering some kind of cathedral. It was wonderful.
Lucky frog to be living in the canyon.
Hulksmash would be proud of me. I picked up a half full pop can and a receipt/scrap of paper in the canyon and carried it the rest of the hike so I could dispose of it properly. It was beyond disappointing that anyone could enter a place so beautiful, and then go ahead and litter there. Sad. It was foggy again, but I got to see 2 nice bull elk grazing on dune grass less than 100 feet from the tide line. Pretty cool.
I probably covered too much ground too quickly, couldn't do this long section of coastline justice, but I'm really glad I worked this into my return trip.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Sep 05, 2013 6:30 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Got to see some big trees, a short jaunt along the beach, and experienced the fantastic Fern Canyon! I don't get pseudo religious when talking about hiking, but the short walk thru this canyon felt like entering some kind of cathedral. It was wonderful.
That was what I experienced as well, when I visited Redwoods National and State Parks, both in Fern Canyon and when walking amongst the redwoods. Similar to you, I had come down from the high country (Crater Lake National Park for me), which sported more in-your-face spectacular scenery, in comparison to the enclosed feeling of the redwoods. However, the redwoods affected me more; even now I get all "pseudo religious" when I think back to my time there. I believe this was because they were living, breathing things, while the rocks, lakes and mountains weren't.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 05, 2013 8:36 am 
There's something about looking at trees that are 1,000 years old or more that gives you a bit of perspective. Us humans are here for a blink of an eye by comparison.