Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Site Moderation?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 23, 2012 1:00 pm 
I've gotten some feedback, some of which I will take with a grain of salt, that the moderation on this site is overly lax, and as a result this forum is heading south. I haven't been as active as I was in the past so can't say I've been following things as closely, but from what I've seen things don't seem horribly out of whack, and the community has been capable of self moderating without much assistance. That said, feel free to chime in if you disagree. It does feel to me that participation is down, but I attribute that to social media trends, with folks balancing their participation here with facebook and other social media outlets, not necessarily because they are dissatisfied with NWH or the moderation. My perspective on moderation has always been that less is more. We started out without any specific rules, other than to play nice, but over time we've implemented some hard and fast rules like no politics, limiting gun discussion to specific threads, and keeping spray / drama out of TRs. Not everyone has agreed with this, but I think it has helped maintain more focus on hiking and less on non-value added drama, albeit limiting entertainment value. There will always be a some posters on any internet forum that rub others in the community the wrong way. Similarly, there will always be some who are just too thin skinned for the internet. This can be difficult to deal with, and micro managing can lead a forum with limited diversity or spice of life. My perspective is that people ultimately fit in here or they don't. Those that don't eventually fade away, but in some cases it is necessary to force the issue for the good of the community. There are some who have left because they didn't think certain personalities were being dealt with quickly or harshly enough. Some chose to pull their content when leaving, which doesn't make sense to me, particularly if they have the community's best interests in mind, but perhaps they feel it serves as a more visible protest if they do. I would say that if anyone has issues with the moderation here, the best thing to do is contact the moderator team, but we do need to be fair with all parties involved and it can be very difficult in situations when there is shared blame. This community is what each of us makes it, not necessarily what the moderators make it. The moderators can help shape things to some extent, but shared responsibility falls on the community and it goes without saying the ideal situation is a community that can self moderate. That said, if things do start to fall out of balance feel free to provide the moderator team that nudge.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostThu Aug 23, 2012 2:11 pm 
Thanks for your hard work Tom. Your point is well taken. The moderation style suits me just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 23, 2012 2:27 pm 
I agree that less moderation equals more and I am fine with the site as it is. It is a great resource for info, meeting new people and learning from the mistakes and experiences of others. Thanks Tom and the other Moderators for doing the best you can to keep this site a valuable asset as well as a place where one feels comfortable and welcome. up.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 23, 2012 2:35 pm 
Thanks, I would really encourage anyone with an alternate opinion as to the state of moderation to speak up. If you don't feel comfortable posting here, feel free to PM me.

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostThu Aug 23, 2012 3:57 pm 
My only beef is I wish we had a LIKE button so I could like Tom's post. clown.gif I agree with most of what you have said Tom, I am guilty of spending more time on other social sites for short term sharing (creating TRs can very time consuming) but it doesn't mean I don't visit frequently and eventually share my stories. I think this is true of many people. Out of all the boards out there this one still remains my favourite. There is such a wealth of knowledge and basically a fine bunch of human beings Even though it has grown much larger than anyone could have imagined, I think there is still a nice sense of community. Thanks to all who contribute!

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostFri Aug 24, 2012 9:39 am 
What K2 said- could not agree more up.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
BirdDog

BirdDog
PostFri Aug 24, 2012 11:39 am 
Tom, I think you and the mods do a great job. In general, this board doesn't need much moderating; it's a great group for the most part. On the occassion when things IMO need moderating; it's done well. As far as participation, I probably don't participate quite as much as I used to; mostly due to the fact I don't need read yet another TR from Mt Si. or Granite (unless the Angry Hiker is involved), and some of the more "whiney" posts that seem to pop fairly regularly these days. Keep up the good work and thanks for your efforts.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 24, 2012 4:32 pm 
Don't post many TR's here anymore but that is because folks here are not too interested in out of state or country locations, also Lynda post most of our trips to FB. Moderation is the same as it always was some folks are favorites but that is Toms privilege. This site is quite a bit more "brown" than most. But it is what it is, still the best NW site. up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostTue Aug 28, 2012 10:54 am 
Well said, Tom. I think you've struck a good balance between no moderation and too much moderation. Your post does a good job of explaining that philosophy. Edit: I also don't post as much as I did when I was living in WA. Been in AZ since early 2008.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
iron

iron
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 11:00 am 
being a 4-year veteran now (long enough to know some things, but not all), i started to become discouraged with the general trending of the site about a year+ ago during the height of the flow-saga and the spray and the bickering. i think some spray is good; i think too much is bad. obviously a tough line to establish and maintain. it seemed to me during that time period that a lot of the frequent posters of truly amazing TRs disappeared. i am unsure why, but they just vanished. there are other veterans that are out doing some really cool things, but never post anymore. i don't understand that very much either. i can understand not writing TRs about the same old hike that everyone's done, but sometimes they're nice --- and certainly very nice for newbies that are just starting to hike or getting involved with NWH. but, i do realize there are time constraints and putting the effort into reports does take time. i wish we could all sing kumbaya abd get all the old-timers posting again. but, those days might truly be over. i think there have been a few bad apples that really affected the quality of the site, but some are now gone, so that's helped. newbies tend to come in, say a few things that aren't necessarily inline with the general NWH trends, but they find their place. it's a constant growing pain that also constantly corrects. i think, in the end, it's about ebbing and flowing. NWH might not have the warm fuzzy feel it did in 2009 (at least for me), but it's still by far the best site in the PNW. i assume in a year or so, things will be humming along strongly again. i doubt it'll ever reach the zone of death like CC.com or the layer of secrecy like TAY, so that makes me happy. as mentioned above, the wealth of knowledge on this site is an amazing resource that we all should be thankful for.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:26 pm 
I have noticed a HUGE improvement lately. up.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:28 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
I have noticed a HUGE improvement lately. up.gif
Probably just the weather.....how many days without rain now, must be approaching the record?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Damian

Damian
PostTue Sep 04, 2012 9:32 pm 
The level of moderation is at an all time low. Quality is at an all time high IMO. I have not personally seen significant input suggesting moderation has been lax, with perhaps an exception or two. Many of those committed to maintaining the high quality of this site are helping with the moderation by providing immediate feedback to posters who skirt the very few rules. Many others simply set an excellent example with their constructive and positive contributions. Their work is contagious. Making the formal job of moderating even easier. Thanks to the many contributors and their positive contributions to this great site!

touron

touron
PostWed Sep 05, 2012 6:26 pm 
Any year when there are not zero, not one, but count them, two (1, 2) Turqoise Lake trip reports, not to mention all the regular splendid trip reports, mountain, valley, lake, and beach, from our fair state, including some pretty exotic ones that you can't reach without several days of provisions and maybe accidentally dropping your compass, as well as the reports from outside the state, outside the country, and outside the continent (although none outside the globe [though I may have missed one of forest gnome's trip reports)]--yes any year where such a wealth of writing and photos has graced the forums of nwhikers, any such year must be a good year. Heck even some of the purple prose has got me choked up and nearly shedding a tear a time or two. There is a perponderance of incontrovertable evidence--incontrovertable evidence that one does not have to dig far for, placer gold, as they call it--that the state of the union is good. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Sep 05, 2012 7:34 pm 
Daffish has a quote ayt the end of his posts: "Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter