Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Sep 18, 2013 12:10 pm 
fox212 wrote:
I'm a bit concerned that it isn't attached very securely. Seems like it might want to shift around with the pack loaded up.
I have the same question, which is chiefly why I made the distinction. A full-wrap belt is a proven way to load the pelvis -- and it's a big reason that external frame packs (on trail) and McHale's CM belt (anywhere) carry large loads so well. Getting a lumbar pad/belt combo to serve the same function seems more complicated than, say, a Kelty EF full-wrap belt.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fox212
lost in the woods...

fox212
lost in the woods...
PostWed Sep 18, 2013 12:20 pm 
Good points, BS. Improved load transfer, stability, and comfort are what I'd be looking for. A lumbar pad/belt combo could add unnecessary complication compared to just a full wrap belt. I'd bet ZPacks would be willing to accommodate a custom request of that nature. Hmmm....

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Sep 19, 2013 10:43 am 
IMO, the Gossamer Gear Mariposa carries 30lbs quite well, as GG claims on its website. Can't speak to its durability yet. Haven't had it long enough. You can always purchase one, load it up and see what you think. Then return it within 30 days if it doesn't feel right. Keep in mind the hip belt must be purchased separately.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Sep 19, 2013 2:31 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
IMO, the Gossamer Gear Mariposa carries 30lbs quite well, as GG claims on its website. Can't speak to its durability yet. Haven't had it long enough. You can always purchase one, load it up and see what you think. Then return it within 30 days if it doesn't feel right. Keep in mind the hip belt must be purchased separately.
My doubts about the Mariposa revolve aroud the attachment of the hip belt to the pack, or non attachment in my mind. According to the video, the hip belt just slides through a sleeve and nis not secured to the pack in any other way. Maybe it is just me, but I wish there were more of a connection betwen the hip belt and the U-shaped stay for a more robust weight transfer. As a pack for a thru-hike, the maximum weight will be reached at each resupply. Additionally I would have to add in a bear can on some stretches as well as microspikes and ice axe for the High Sierra. Also some sections require carring large supplies of water. These are the situations I would wonder whether the Mariposa would be feasible. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
longhair27

longhair27
PostThu Sep 19, 2013 10:16 pm 
McHale offers a single buckle on his hip-belts verses the traditional twin buckle setup with is superb. I really need to weigh my Merke Benier sometime that thing is way light, the body is 140D with a double layer 420D packcloth bottom/side wall. No top pocket, full height stretch cord verses his Kangaroo front pocket. From the front profile someone would mistake it for one of those sh##ty Gust Golite Packs. LOL I got the double buckle and no zipper access to the main sack. I wanted just a big sack to stuff it, mine doesn't have any compression straps all further weight savings. How much is that UL wonder pack anyhow? It's not about the pack weight it's what goes in it. Much better to have a Frame than none.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Sep 20, 2013 12:25 am 
Look close, the pack has a carbon external frame, did you even read the post? Did I write about the system, the interchangeability, my low base weights and my usage just so you could take a look at pictures and slam it?

I desire medium danger williswall.com
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Sep 20, 2013 8:08 am 
I think I hav the gg what-ever pack...rumidude is correct that the belt just slides through a flap, this allows the bag to sag down with weight.... MAJOR DESIGN FLAW...but with some sewing I may fix it.....it just doesn't carry correctly, and I hav been meaning to take pict. and ask the maker what the hell? thanks to kite, he gave it away to me, but it hasn't worked out yet..... sctueally its the six moon desigs pack I think....

kite

kite
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 10:18 am 
williswall, how is your Zpack holding up and are you still using it? I have been eyeing the ZPacks™ "Arc Blast" Backpack and was wondering if anyone else has used it?

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 12:02 pm 
there's a nice one in their bargain bin

SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 4:03 pm 
kite wrote:
I have been eyeing the ZPacks™ "Arc Blast" Backpack and was wondering if anyone else has used it?
I've had mine for over a year now, and I really like it. I've used Osprey packs in the past because of their suspension frame. The Arc Blast feels similar and a great U.L. upgrade. I got mine in orange, now I am looking at a Arc Zip in Camo. There are several people on this forum that have Arc Blast packs, And 3 of them I backpack with that's all I ever see them use.

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 4:33 pm 
kite wrote:
williswall, how is your Zpack holding up and are you still using it? I have been eyeing the ZPacks™ "Arc Blast" Backpack and was wondering if anyone else has used it?
In short, the Arc Slim is the most comfortable pack I've used. On my recent 60 miler I never noticed the pack on my back, plus I can trot/run with it. Keep in mind my weights have been well under 20 lbs and usually under 15, including food and water. I can't say I don't get sweaty back syndrome with it, but it is not nearly as pronounced as a foam backed frameless pack. I am considering one of the Arc larger packs for extended trips where I have to carry more weight.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
kite

kite
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 6:11 pm 
Thanks for the replys, going to order one I think. my average pack weight for a weekend is about 12 lbs now w/o the camera so I think it should work well.