Forum Index > Gear Talk > Can you solve this sleeping pad mystery?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
huron

huron
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 1:02 pm 
Exped Synmat UL deflates in 20 minutes while attempting to sleep at 7,500 feet on snow. When back home, a bathtub test and valve inspection show no leaks or damage. Inflated and left some heavy boxes on top. No deflation overnight. Figured I had some sand or something in the valve while on first trip. Next trip, same thing. Now at home, have had two heavy boxes on this pad for 48 hours and no leaks. Could the valves be shrinking in the cold or something?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 1:16 pm 
To test your theory, try placing some ice packs on the valve.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 1:54 pm 
Frost/ice build up on the valve?

Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 1:58 pm 
cold air is less dense.

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 2:16 pm 
cold air compresses, so if you blow it up with warm air from your lungs, as it cools at altitude the pad deflates. if you re-inflate a second time, does it stay that way through the night?

dennyt

dennyt
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 2:23 pm 
Ranger Smith wrote:
cold air is less dense.
Actually it's more dense... smaller volume for the same mass. Check the flapper parts (red or green) inside the valve. If they get messed up, it will hold air for a while with the plug, but not for long with weight on it. These could be messed up one time you close the valve, then fine the next.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 2:27 pm 
I'm pretty sure cold air is more dense, by the gas temperature/volume principle plus the fact that cold air sinks. When it deflates on snow, does it deflate totally and repeatedly, i.e. you pump in some more air and it all leaks out again in 20 minutes? I imagine you're saying it does, but just checking. If it's emptying at the valve in :20, that's fast enough that you should be able to see bubbling by spreading spit on the valve. But you'd have to take it camping again to test again. Perhaps 2 boxes != a human, e.g. different shape to the weight, although I admit that's a long shot. But you could lay on it for 20 minutes to be sure.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 2:56 pm 
I suppose in theory the the male valve plug might contract in the cold. We had a leaky Exped UL7 valve that would not fully seal, leaked air very slowly, took a few hours to deflate. That pad also had a twist in it. REI took it back but advised that next time I should deal directly with Exped. Have you carefully cleaned both valves? Tomlike's explanation is sound and verified by experience. I surmise that RS intended to say "more dense." Conrad asks the right questions.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 3:25 pm 
Do you hike with practical jokers?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 3:32 pm 
One more idea: Do you use a Schnozzel to pump up your pad? If not, maybe water vapor from your breath is freezing and fouling your valve. I give a hardy thumbs up up.gif to the Schnozzel

iron

iron
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 3:58 pm 
our synmats would deflate too. enough to warrant reblowing up. no such problems with the much better neoair xtherm. it's a game changer for warmth!

huron

huron
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 5:04 pm 
Thanks for all the good theories. Dennyt, your guess on a funky flapper is a good one. I just checked it and it was a bit wrinkled. If that got caught in the valve, it could explain the problem. By the way, I asked Exped for help and they got back to me in a hurry with a response and offer to help. That's a company I'd buy from again.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 5:42 pm 
We have noticed that our neo airs lose volume when they cool. I could not say they deflate as the loss is not total like a leak and stops when the air inside reaches equilibrium. This is an example of Charles Law which holds that the volume of a perfect gas decided by the temperature is a constant I.e. V/T=k. Note the T must be in degrees Kelvin the most I get is if you fill the pad with hot air of 40 C = 313 K then cools to freezing 273 K would decrease the volume about 87% of original volume. Note the pressure is constant so can be ignored in an inflatable pad. This complies,with experience. In practice the loss is smaller as we normally use an inflator bag.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
christensent

christensent
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 6:44 pm 
I've definitely been sleeping on the ground from the gas cooling down in my neoair xtherm in extreme conditions. I'd bet it's that, especially if you're sleeping on snow! Get in the habit of filling it, setting it on the snow for 5 minutes, then filling it again. Never had it not stay super firm all night once I started doing that. I imagine it might take longer if there's no snow to set it on.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
huron

huron
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 6:55 pm 
I'm talking fill, deflate, fill, deflate, fill, deflate, give up and put my pack under me.