Forum Index > Trip Reports > Airplane Lake - Indian Creek 9/19-20/2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Sep 21, 2013 6:49 am 
When my buddy and I day hiked into Airplane Lake (three years ago) we hit deep snow and found the lake iced over. On the way down we vowed to go back for an overnighter. He worked it into this years’ vacation the day after my wife and I came back from our Moab trip to do Arches and Canyonlands. We agreed to leave one day later and I was in. We were also accompanied by one of his friends who went along as a day hiker.
Airplane Lk
Airplane Lk
Starting
Starting
Indian Head
Indian Head
Most people just pass by this lake on the way to summit Mt. Saul. But summiting peaks is so yesterday. We decided to spend some time around the lake explore the basin below Saul and the overlook to the White River(much more interesting).
morning reflection
morning reflection
From above
From above
Basin above the lake
Basin above the lake
Basin above lake
Basin above lake
From above
From above
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Back side of Clark Mt and Lahuna
Back side of Clark Mt and Lahuna
White River valley
White River valley
Me in red and yellow because it's hunting season
Me in red and yellow because it's hunting season
There is a rather sad epilogue to this great hike. On most well marked and well-traveled hikes I go on I find the campsites trash free or almost pristine except for signs of usage. Some of you might know the steep primitive boot path to Airplane Lake has a history of people marking the trail and other people removing the markings. I find it ironic that this difficult unmarked path had campsites at both ends of the lake completely trashed out with cans in the fire pits and shelters built with branches cut off the surrounding trees. Do people feel they can do anything they want at seldom visited spots because there is little chance of getting caught?
Do not mark boot path
Do not mark boot path
Camp Trash
Camp Trash
trash in second campsite
trash in second campsite
Gimmie shelter
Gimmie shelter
Another shelter with trash
Another shelter with trash

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Sep 21, 2013 7:39 pm 
Hope I can get in there one of these years. Looks really nice, Lloyd. smile.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Sep 21, 2013 9:40 pm 
Maybe some kids reading a 40 year out-of-date scouting manual? I'll bet infrequent hikers/campers think they're almost the only ones that every go to these places.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Sep 22, 2013 9:21 am 
up.gif Great views, terrain, and some pitch and catch fishing. We had great colors one year by October 2nd.

Living in the Anthropocene
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 1:55 am 
Nice; always wanted to get up there. Any fish??

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 7:29 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
Nice; always wanted to get up there. Any fish??
Of the three of us the only one with a pole was day hiking it. By the time we got to the lake he was already getting apprehensive about making it back to his truck before dark. After banging off a few photos of the lake he headed back down that so-called trail without taking time to fish. I have been told by several people the fishing isn't bad, especially at the deeper NW end near the boulder field.

contour5

contour5
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 1:46 pm 
Nice pictures, HTT. Bummer about the trash. I found similar levels of trash at Thornton Lakes and then at Anderson Lakes recently. Even the upper Anderson tarn was festooned with juice bottles and candy wrappers. I extinguished a burning campfire at lower Anderson. Just as well I didn't catch up with the dayhiker in the blue shirt who built it and left it burning. I think I might have caught him in a photo, however...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 2:53 pm 
Is there a fishermans trail up there?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 4:18 pm 
Airplane used to have phenomenal fishing, but the word got out and a lot of people have been going up there lately. Fish the area of the boulders and outlet stream with a 1/8 oz black Roostertail, 4 lb line, and no weights. Or flyfish, if that's your bag. I first went close to 40 years ago, and the inlet peninsula was MUCH smaller, and the lake quite a bit deeper. It's a beautiful area, and a shame to see that idiots have found this place too.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 4:49 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Is there a fishermans trail up there?
Fisherman's trail, boot path, primitive scramble route...call it what you like. We would lose it and re-find it every few minutes. It is one of those things that is not necessarily easy to hike but not that hard to follow if you keep your eyes open.
kbatku wrote:
It's a beautiful area, and a shame to see that idiots have found this place too.
There is a remote chance this may have been an isolated incident by a couple of isolated idiots(that we may have met on the trail). I did not give all the details but this could be the case. I hope so.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSun Aug 17, 2014 9:59 pm 
Thanks for the TR. More reliably helpful beta. It seems like anytime I think of somewhere to go and search nwhikers, HTT and/or wildernessed have already been, and made a comprehensive report. ++ I did not find the "marking routes is prohibited" sign at the bottom. Most of the path up is flagged though, and pretty easy to follow. Had to pay more attention going down, but still stayed on track. Except for fire rings, all the campsites I saw by the lake looked nice and clean. Too tired to climb Saul, but at least made it to the ridge above the lake and got to look down on White River. Great views. Fun spot.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Aug 18, 2014 9:04 am 
FiveNines wrote:
Except for fire rings, all the campsites I saw by the lake looked nice and clean.
Glad to see it has been cleaned up. Such a pleasant little basin.