Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Blender Recommendations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Badger

Badger
PostMon Sep 23, 2013 2:11 pm 
Looking to buy a blender that can handle turning veggies- carrots, cukes, broccoli, etc.. into puree. Went by a restaurant supply store but cheapest they had was 600 bucks. I figured a budget of 200-300. Sears didn't have anything sturdy enough. Well, that was the clerks opinion.... Thanks in Advance. side note: would like to pick up today/tomorrow.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Sep 23, 2013 2:26 pm 
1(tie): Vitamix, Blendtec Costco usually sells Vitamix or Blendtec

Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostMon Sep 23, 2013 2:44 pm 
Buy an old one from the 50's or 60's when they were made to last and do their job.

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 23, 2013 2:44 pm 
We have the Vitamix. I would probably get the Blendtec as it's a little cheaper. One thing that annoys me with the Vitamix is the plunger doesn't really work as well as advertised to break up the air bubble for smoothies. Also, it's a royal PITA to remove the plunger to pour without the plunger dripping everywhere.

Snowday

Snowday
PostTue Sep 24, 2013 8:35 am 
Consumer Reports (Sep. 2012) has a lab test on blenders. They rate the Vitamix ($450) as the best. In second place was the Ninja Master Prep Professional QB1004 (only $60); its the CR best buy.
Quote:
Smooth, icy drinks helped keep the Vita-Mix at the top of our Ratings. Powerful ice crushing and a generous 8-cup capacity are other perks. But the smaller Ninja, CR Best Buy at just $60, did nearly as well with less noise. The Cuisinart SmartPower, $70, was also impressive, though it's a bit noisier and gives up some ice-crushing and chopping performance.
My brother bought a Vitamix after seeing an impressive demonstration in the store, but he couldn't make it work like that. He took it back and got a Ninja.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 24, 2013 9:26 am 
I hope that holds up for him. Every non-VM/BT blender I've had through the years broke within a year or two. Blendtec and Vitamix are commercial quality, high horsepower, good bearings, stout construction, lifetime purchases. I haven't see the CR tests but most tests rate the Blendtec and Vitamix as 1 and 2 or vice versa and everything else miles behind. Your brother might have fared better with the Blendtec, which has programmed settings for numerous functions, e.g., puree, chop, ice crush, smoothie, etc., etc. Push the button, walk away and the Blendtec changes speeds at the right time. Ours works great. OTOH, the Vitamix requires more operator control, and that's why it works great for the trained demo guy in the store but not for the consumer until he or she gets trained via lots of trial and error. Craigslist is your friend.

Bogart

Bogart
PostTue Sep 24, 2013 12:10 pm 
Have the new generation Vitamix. Very nice, very powerful, and easy to clean. Take a look at the Vitamix web site for refurb units to save some $$$ if you decide to go the VM route.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Sep 24, 2013 2:01 pm 
When faced with this question as I killed another motor coupler on my 12-yr-old KitchenAid (which I did like!), I went with the Ninja. The Blendtec and VitaMix would have been my preference, but they were out of budget. I should be receiving it tomorrow, and I'll let you know how I like it.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Sep 24, 2013 5:44 pm 
Check out Goodwill and the Thrift stores. I see old blenders(heavy duty), juicers etc all the time for less than $20. My mom bought several expensive juicers about 20-25 years ago that were all the rage. She paid like $300 for it. Those are probably the ones I see at Goodwill. I'm still looking for a meat grinder attachment, so my search continues.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Sep 24, 2013 6:13 pm 
I have an Oster blender that purees and that I've had for a number of years. Nice six-cup glass container. Probably paid less than $50. Works like the day I bought it. up.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
LewisGoes

LewisGoes
PostTue Sep 24, 2013 9:53 pm 
Vitamix!

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Sep 25, 2013 4:55 pm 
What's red and white and green and red and white and green and red and white and green and red and white and green and red and white and green? .rednelb a ni gorf A

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Treehugger5

Treehugger5
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 8:14 am 
Bass-O-Matic.

Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell~ hiker and runner extraordinaire
kingtermite
Termite King

kingtermite
Termite King
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 8:59 am 
+100000 to Vitamix or Blendtec (they are about a tie). I've had a Vitamix for about 8 years. I puree veggies/fruit every day for a daily juice/smoothie.

Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 9:57 am 
I just bought a Blendtec on the Costco website. It came with an extra pitcher for free and the shipping was free too!! It was a lot cheaper than the Vitamix and made in the USA.

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.