Forum Index > Gear Talk > Maiden Voyage/Beating of a $705.25 Rain Jacket.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 12:59 pm 
Thank God that Critter posted this. Now I can put my pants on like a real expert does. It is nice having an independent expert on just about anything in our midst. How do you wear your hat Critter; is there a way I can adjust it for different conditions? Right now on my day trips I carry 23 hats for varying conditions and I think that with some advice I can pare that down to 15 hats. Please post a video on how an expert wears hats. I need to know how to put them on, adjust my hats, take off, clean and store hats. How do you keep your hats dry inside your pack? I hate pulling out a wet sun hat after a rainstorm.. I was going to re-purpose a bread bag but maybe there is a better way? maybe a sheep's bladder?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 1:03 pm 
Critter is inexperienced, but I'm sure he doesn't feel that way. He'll learn.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 1:03 pm 
no thanks. actually I was thinking about driving up to that place on Perimeter Road and taking a look at the Swedish pants cited in your pants thread but then, you know... those silly Scandinavians.... what do they know? smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 1:14 pm 
That's fine if you want 7 lb pants and don't mind the constant care. Those pants have to be rubbed with an oily, sappy, waxy compound before every trip. That's those pants that loggers wear. There is a reason people are switching from those to modern day rain pants. I didn't mean to make this a pants thread but those are better for hardcore work than hardcore climbing and bushwhacking.

soUthinkUcanCamp
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 1:14 pm 
summithound wrote:
Sounds like Critter is saying he rarely sweats, that's why he needs a breathable shell. Makes sense huh? dizzy.gif
makes 100% perfect sense, it is the profuse sweaters who are wrong if they think GTX will keep up.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 1:28 pm 
Critter wrote:
That's fine if you want 7 lb pants
Wow it's just like Big Steve said -- even when confronted with facts, he still has true belief!! Weight: 17.8oz

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 1:31 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Critter wrote:
That's fine if you want 7 lb pants
Wow it's just like Big Steve said -- even when confronted with facts, he still has true belief!! Weight: 17.8oz
That weight is before the 5-6 lbs of oil treatment required. I can understand your confusion. Those pants can seriously weigh much more than you think.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 2:34 pm 
Critter, you are confusing Fjällrävan with Filson. The net weight on those Keb trousers is, as Randy stated, 17.8 ounces. The amount of the Greenland Wax applied is up to the end user, but it does not appear to me from the photo on their website that little bar of wax would add four or five pounds of weight to the garment. You may have been confused by a previous post of mine where I made a wild guess of "about four or five pounds" on an old Filson model #150 Tin Cruiser size XL that I bought in 1994 or 1995. Last week I used almost an entire 3.5 ounce can of Filson Oil Wax on it, double-coating the yoke in front, over the shoulders, and across the upper back- that part of it most susceptible to penetration by water. I'll see if I can get it on a scale to get an accurate weight. The difference is: The "maiden voyage" of that Filson Tin Cruiser was a walk out to Cape Alava during a mid-February storm. The rain was literally coming in sideways- I could not see the breakers while standing on the beach. I really kind of doubt anything short of a full scuba outfit would have kept me totally dry in those conditions. But, when I crashed through the ten-foot-tall evergreen huckleberry to get to the Roose homestead, the jacket suffered no ill effects. I've worn it for almost 20 years now, mostly doing work outdoors. It is absolutely bullet proof- threw the chain on my Stihl and it bounced off the sleeve. There simply is nothing that can compare to it for durability, unless you consider chain mail. It's kind of amusing reading these "gear" threads of yours. I remember when "GoreTex" first came out. A friend of mine was a climbing and ski instructor for the US Army at the time, and his wife was making garments for him out of this new wonder material. I listened to the same kind of stories from him that Steve has repeatedly cited: GoreTex simply has no kind of longevity, is outrageously overpriced, and has little to no resistance to abrasion (read: Devils Club, Vine Maple, Evergreen Huckleberry, or any number of indigenous plants.) To date I have owned exactly one item that used "GoreTex": that pair of Timberland boots that a friend gave to me after finding them on a close-out for ten dollars. I have no idea whether or not the GoreTex lining inside the boots will keep out water, because I doped them up with Obenauf's LP, and I already know that Obenauf's will keep water out of leather boots- I've been using it for over 30 years. Just as it is not necessary to apply Obenauf's to my boots after every outing, it is not necessary to re-wax the Filson every time, and I would seriously doubt the Fjällräven gear requires continual re-waxing. As to the weight: I understand you are obsessed with the weight of your gear. I am not. I am about 6'4", weigh about 175#, and wear a size 13 boot. What my clothes weigh is what they weigh- I move at the same speed wearing the Galibiers and Filson Mackinaw Field Pants as I do wearing a pair of cotton shorts and Tevas. The difference is: I don't have to baby my gear. I beat the hell out of it. And most of it's been around now over twenty years and is still in great condition. As Steve has repeatedly said: come back in a couple years and give us a report on "the best rain jacket in the galaxy." I can't wait for the report.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 2:34 pm 
Critter wrote:
My mom is very sick right now or I'd be out there proving you wrong.
frown.gif I'm sorry, Critter. I hope she recovers quickly.

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 2:40 pm 
I can also attest to the durability of Filson gear. To date I have a tin jacket, wallet, belt, wool socks and two canvas duffels from the company. Great stuff. up.gif I haven't heard of Obenauf's before but it looks like something that may be useful for my aging hikers.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 3:47 pm 
I may try bike riding wearing my Tin Pants. Walking is out. The old Plantar Faschist has returned with a vengeance. Tin Pants could be the new style for bicycle riders? smile.gif Or the Anti-Christ of Lycra? We'll see. Not sure if I used Obenaufs on the pants. I did use boot grease, and it worked fine. It might have been Camp Dry boot grease.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Edgewood

Edgewood
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 5:28 pm 
Critter, sending positive energy to your mom.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 pm 
the Filson Tin Cruiser (after re-waxing) comes in at 4.16 pounds on Mike's scale up at Albertsons.

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 8:19 pm 
My mom is passing, but her and I are going to do some hardcore hikes. I've been by my mom's side since Sunday. My dad is with her nonstop. Yesterday she only really said a couple of things. She's been very confused since Sunday, and keeps saying things like "What's going on." We give her medicine to relax her and keep her out of pain. She keeps trying to get up and go but she has cancer, can't eat anymore, and is too weak. Hospice workers are checking to make sure she's not being neglected. She likes to hold our hands and we try to comfort her. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers as my mom moves on. Don't be sad for her. She is growing and doing what we all will do. I'll be sad that I can't see her anymore, but soon my mom will be closer than ever to me and I'll have a new partner on my solo hikes. Look for some seriously beefed up adventures from Critter and his mom, coming soon.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Oct 08, 2013 8:33 pm 
Sorry to hear this news. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman