Forum Index > Gear Talk > Maiden Voyage/Beating of a $705.25 Rain Jacket.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 9:49 am 
Relax wrote:
Gore-tex, Event etc are not waterproof. They are water resistant where they are "waterproof" if DWR is applied religiously and water rolls off and is not allowed to "stand". IE if water can "breathe" THROUGH one direction, it can "breathe" through the other direction as well. It is all dependent on temperature gradients. A low temperature gradient and your clothes will get SOAKED.
Wait, are you suggesting that Goretex and eVent are not MAGICAL? No no no no, it can't be!!! Please say it isn't so!!! clown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 11:15 am 
Relax wrote:
A low temperature gradient and your clothes will get SOAKED. Guaranteed.
As long as the temp gradient is in your favor shouldn't the net water transfer also be in your favor? Water transfer may not be fast enough to handle your sweat output, but it's got to be better than rubberized canvas. IMO if you're working hard for long periods in consistent rain you are going to get wet. Doesn't matter what you are wearing. Staying warm is far more important than staying dry. Fit your outerwear to have a bellows effect and you're opening yourself up to convective heat loss...so you'll be cold AND wet. Ultralight means being flexible and bending to the conditions the wilderness greets you with. Bomber gear is for the mindset of "standing up" to what nature throws at you, but that's futile hubris. Nature will always be more powerful than man...if you can't accept that then at some point you're going to be in deep sh##. Good decisions are better than the best gear.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 11:27 am 
I'm an individual who prefers to get up close and personal with nature. I love to watch your planet's fury first hand. As a hands on storm watcher, I can assure you this jacket has kept me dry, all day, in severe weather.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 11:37 am 
Critter wrote:
I'm an individual who prefers to get up close and personal with nature.
So was Timothy Treadwell clown.gif

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 12:01 pm 
It's not fair to say that what I'm doing is more dangerous than staying home. I could have come home and my house could have been smashed by a tree. The severe weather in Washington is lacking in my opinion. I've been outdoors through tornadoes, ice storms, and 100+ mph winds in other states(KS & TX). I've hiked in winds you wouldn't believe. I've had to crawl and find hand holds on the ground. I've seen a one inch wide ribbon of lightning strike a fence right in front of me. The city is far more dangerous than the backcountry for many reasons. You can't live your life in fear. Mt Rainier is the most severe weather I've found in Washington. Here's an old video. I was trying to make it sound like things were out of control, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the other guy in the video thought it was.
------------- This message has been Critter approved. I feel this post is honest, helpful, and not hurtful.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:02 pm 
Critter wrote:
I love to watch your planet's fury first hand.
How's the weather on your planet? wink.gif
Dane wrote:
Ultralight means being flexible and bending to the conditions the wilderness greets you with. Bomber gear is for the mindset of "standing up" to what nature throws at you, but that's futile hubris. Nature will always be more powerful than man...if you can't accept that then at some point you're going to be in deep sh##. Good decisions are better than the best gear.
up.gif up.gif Though I think good gear gives you more flexibility in how you deal with whatever the wilderness throws at you.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:06 pm 
I guess it's hard to show humility and respect when you feel you have something to prove.

trestle

trestle
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:13 pm 
The man is just wearing his new jacket in a rainstorm, trying to enjoy his time off and pass on what he learns. Why has he been placed in the middle of a metaphorical battle? Has he been cast in a remake of a B-movie from the 70s? What is he trying to prove? Did I miss something?

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:13 pm 
This one is brutal. It's from before I had my Alpha SV.
Edit: I like Johnson37's reply. We posted at the same time. I go out there to enjoy and witness nature. I come here to share the outdoors. I'm actually flattered that the big name guys, like Dane, are saying I'm bragging.

soUthinkUcanCamp
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:40 pm 
Critter wrote:
You can't live your life in fear.
Critter saying this to Dane is teh funneez

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:45 pm 
I've seen a lot of people come down hard on Critter and I've avoided jumping into the pile-on. Whatever you think of him you can't deny he's a passionate hiker...and generates actual content to boot, as opposed to many who just snipe from the sidelines. The point I was trying to make is that his pride and confidence would be well balanced with some humility and respect for the forces of nature he enjoys throwing himself into. I'm not too worried about him...I tuck my tail and head for shelter in the kind of weather he seems to thrive in. But respect for the dangers of our mountains is at the core of my outdoor pursuits, so his apparently cavalier attitude is something I take note of and felt a desire to respond to.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:48 pm 
rainsaw
rainsaw
This was not a nice day. It was maybe nicer than a few days earlier, when things were worse. I had to clamber up with this hooktender and check out tail trees up on a ridge. It was before I got my tin pants. We both had on the rubber overalls, which do not pump air as stated in another thread, and rubber rain coats. On the way up, I listened to the hooktender lecture about the need to embrace the weather this time of year. They were shorthanded because a crewmember could not embrace the weather. I should look up at the way the trees were swaying. I answered that it was too scary to look up and if I did, I might be inclined to run back down and leave. We hurried up and did our work, then came back down to the landing. I was soaked from rain going down my neck, both front and back. I get too warm to wear raingear snapped/zippered all the way up, especially when going up a steep hill. The rain was horizontal. At the landing, the loader operator, who was dry and in a T-shirt and regular pants opened his door and yelled, "You look like you been swimmin'." Then leaned back in and closed the door. There's just no way to keep dry on such days. No way would I wear a $700 jacket to work! But, if you want to, there's nothing wrong with that. up.gif Anyway, to make things worse, I left to go to another job and there was a tree across the road that I had to cut out. Whaaaaah. waah.gif That was a very memorable fine and miserable day.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 2:14 pm 
Dane, I generally agree with you re Critter. He manifests a genuine passion for hiking and has breathed some new life into NWH, and those are good things. He does make some bold statements that invite counterpunching, but AFAICT he's game to mix it up. Anyway, you gotta give it up that his selection of an uberposer $$$hell is quite amusing. tongue.gif

trestle

trestle
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 2:32 pm 
Every brand is for posers. We're all posers of one sort or another lol.gif Given the amount of thought he puts into his efforts, I'd say that Critter is far less cavalier than he might appear. One man's storm to avoid is another man's best choice for fulfilling his passion.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 2:39 pm 
Admit it, this place is pretty much dead without Critter here to liven things up. Critter, I hope you get a SPOT Messenger, it's a good idea since you travel alone off trail. SAR won't know where to begin to search if you're off trail.