Forum Index > Gear Talk > Maiden Voyage/Beating of a $705.25 Rain Jacket.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 2:45 pm 
I really enjoyed the site and found it informative even before I made my public debut. This site has lots of information from people with more knowledge than even I have. I'm just more of an entertainer. I understand how some of the seasoned vets here would see me as the Hollywood poser type.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Relax

Relax
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 3:46 pm 
Dane wrote:
IMO if you're working hard for long periods in consistent rain you are going to get wet. Doesn't matter what you are wearing. Staying warm is far more important than staying dry. Fit your outerwear to have a bellows effect and you're opening yourself up to convective heat loss...so you'll be cold AND wet.
1) I have worked Greenhouses/nurseries every day for 5+ years straight outside in the pouring rain and sun. 2) I have worked another 5 years in the logging industry in every inclement weather imaginable. After this I got my Mechanical Engineering degree as I got damned tired of being out in the weather. 3) I go kayaking routinely where I do wear a tight fitting eVent Jacket as it does let me breathe, but likewise the DWR is paramount to keeping said jacket workable. It appears you have never worked consistently in pouring rain for long periods of time. Why do I say that? I have, and No, I do not get soaking wet unless one is wearing gore-tex as most young bucks coming into the industry do. They go OOO shiny, and buy expensive gear. Of course all of the old sweats and grey beards are grinning in their coffee cups at these young whipper snappers who don't know any different and their "great" expensive easily ripped, poked nylon junk, will soon be exchanged for a true water proof garment that isn't dependent on its DWR and will soon buy either urethane coated heavy nylon, or pvc coated cotton, or a few still keep with oiled bibs etc. By the way, the old school heavy dumb "grey beard" stuff is likewise easily pachable and kept waterproof as well unlike gore-tex etc. Triple whammy. 1) Cheap 2) Reliable 3) Patchable You will get humid inside of rubber canvas etc, but soaking wet? No, unless you are an idiot and don't ventilate and regulate your work load to conditions. That is true of any garment. Anyone can sweat buckets drenching their clothes. If you use extra large bibs that bellow, then in most conditions you will stay much drier and warmer over a wider range of conditions. If you get bibs that fit you nice and tight, uh no, this will not help your cause any. Will hurt. Most working conditions in PNW will be light rain and brush that is soaked. In such conditions, bellowing bibs will pump your sweat out while keeping the wet brush at bay. Why I was super skeptical when my brother bought his Filson double tin pants. Doesn't let the sweat out at all. Trapped on all sides. No one wears Rubber canvas into the mountains because it weighs quite a bit more than even "heavy duty" alpinist/ski gear, is ugly, and goes swish, swish, flap, floop, swish on every daw-gone-step! Besides, mountain weather is utterly different than low level to say 4000 feet(depends on season of course). Mountains are far colder and therefore a much higher temperature gradient in your clothing along with the fact that it is generally snow up there and therefore won't be standing liquid water on your garments and therefore eVent, Gore-tex works wonderfully even if the DWR is shot. Why I still use my ancient Gore-tex Marmot Alpinist jacket in the late fall/winter/spring for going into the mountains. It is my GO-TO piece, but close to useless in the rain anymore. It works fine for such mountainous cold snowy conditions even though its original DWR has long since vanished. Like everything in life. My original statement works on a bell curve where the variables are: 1) How warm it is(what your wear underneath) 2) How wet it is(humidity level) 3) How hard is the wind blowing(venting options) 4) How much work you are doing And where do you get off believing any dumb ass, even a dumb ass posting on the internet, would be so stupid as to post a statement that said extra large bibs/jacket would REMAIN OPEN? Like every other piece of rain gear ever used in the HISTORY OF MANKIND, you regulate the ventilation by how much you let it remain open. PS. You GO CRITTER! Coming from a guy who went off trail backpacking for 10 years with a school book bag, a strapped on $10 polyester sleeping bag in doubled black garbage bags with extra garbage bags for rain gear. Rain shelter was a blue tarp + string. I have improved my situation, but not by much. Personally, I am just giving you grief cuz you spent $700! on a jacket when I know damned well it won't last all that long except in snow in which it will still be wonderful.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 4:00 pm 
Relax....relax.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 5:17 pm 
Forgive me if my experiences as an alpine climber aren't relevant to yours as a nursery worker. Perhaps you should ponder the relevance of your nursery work experience to a hiker's and mountaineer's forum.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 5:33 pm 
Critter wrote:
I really enjoyed the site and found it informative even before I made my public debut. This site has lots of information from people with more knowledge than even I have. I'm just more of an entertainer. I understand how some of the seasoned vets here would see me as the Hollywood poser type.
Nah. But why don't expensive coats come with sequins or some kind of bling on them? I'd want that if I got one. That color is pretty close to a Grundens color. It is also a hard color to accessorize with.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 5:53 pm 
Relax wrote:
Anyone can sweat buckets drenching their clothes.
Critter believes that people can stop the sweat process of the body if they work out and are in good condition.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 7:31 pm 
Genuinely interested in how your jacket holds up Critter. Please keep this thread updated over the next year. I once owned an Arc'teryx (sidewinder?) rain jacket but it really didn't meet my expectations for the money spent.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Relax

Relax
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 7:43 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Critter believes that people can stop the sweat process of the body if they work out and are in good condition.
That is true to a certain extent. I ran cross country/track. I could run 3 miles depending on the temperature and speed I ran it and not sweat a single drop. 1 mile under warmer say spring conditions. Under race conditions? Nope, not a chance. But a 7:15 minute mile pace? Sure. If you have a thin body type compared to more compact you will generally sweat less as well as there is far more surface area to radiate heat. Was I expiring lots of water vapor under above conditions? Sure, just not enough for standing water on my skin. I have also been super fat and out of shape and just walking on a flat surface would bead up water on my skin.

Relax

Relax
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 7:47 pm 
Dane wrote:
Forgive me if my experiences as an alpine climber aren't relevant to yours as a nursery worker. Perhaps you should ponder the relevance of your nursery work experience to a hiker's and mountaineer's forum.
I notice you tried to disregard my experience as a logger, bushwacker, and climber thinking that somehow working in a nursery in the rain with a shovel in your hand and trees/bushes brushing, smashing, whipping against your clothing all day long is somehow "less" than alpine mountaineering where there is very little of such objects. Perhaps you should think about the subject? Critter going OFF TRAIL bushwacking wishing for clothes that don't get shredded, remaining waterproof and then contemplate how the wide open alpine environment without sharp branches and devils club everywhere have ANY bearing on the subject at hand. Without branches/leaves/mud to abrade away DWR coatings super fast. You may have noticed, but Critter likes the obscure. You know, no trail to the alpine thing... Might want to contemplate the difference. Critter style and nursery work/Logging have a lot in common. Mountaineering on the other hand does not.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 7:57 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
ahhh the true inner gear whore comes out in all of us eventually!! lol.gif
Ya, just shoot me Bro' if I ever get that sick. I bought a used Arc'teryx raincoat from a member here for $40, but I sweat a lot so I will get wet anyway while hiking. I like it to wear at my property in Verlot since it rains about 150" there. shakehead.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
trestle

trestle
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 8:24 pm 
I didn't read all of the links posted by others but there seems to be (at least on this forum) some commonality; heavy sweaters are typically disappointed by ePFTE garments (gore-tex et al) and those who naturally sweat less (for a variety of reasons) find them acceptable. Disregarding the wear of the DWR and avoiding some sort of bio-mechanical argument, of course. YMMFV. I'm typically not a heavy sweater and have owned several ePFTE garments that offered satisfactory performance. But I've watched co-workers struggle with identical garments in identical conditions so I can easily accept the testimony of others who abhor the products de Gore. There are plenty of obvious similarities between nursery/greenhouse/logging work and hiking/backpacking/climbing and both tend to draw the same kinds of people; adventurists. We're all looking down our nose in this thread and no one can see anything.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
trestle

trestle
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 8:39 pm 
Frankly this is great: Critter has a Gore-tex Pro Shell jacket from a top manufacturer and is willing to use it hard and post about it. BigSteve has a NeoShell jacket from a top manufacturer and is willing to use it hard and post about it. No winners, no losers, no right or wrong. Just some hearty bros using their gear and telling us about it. Freaking awesome.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 10:10 pm 
People sweat, some more than others but we all sweat. There is no magic to get around that. Being fit helps reduce the need to sweat but it does not eliminate it. Sweating helps regulate body temperature. In the middle o summer with a nice cool steady breeze, I sweat and get my nice technical shirt wet with sweat. So telling uis that anyone who gets wet wearing waterproof rain gear is an idiot is a non-starter. There is no way to walk up a slope without exerting oneself at least a bit. That is going to cause most people to sweat. Ventilation and breathable garments can only mitigate the effects of sweating. And in addition to what is happening inside the waterproof clothing, there is the rain on the outside getting in. It gets in through the vents, zippers, and all the holes that your body parts stick out through. And yes, I have worked for extended periods of time in the rain in many different situations. When the work needs to get done, you work, sometimes strenuously. When the trail turns up, you have to hike up, sometimes strenuously. Generally, if one is bushwhacking up a steep slope, they are exerting much more than they would on a trail. My strategy in cool and cold temps is to have a wicking layer which transports and condensed sweat away from the body while at the same time not trapping the water vapor making the close in environment too warm. I use a waterproof/breathable shell to keep most of the rain and vent as much as is feasible dependent on the rain and wind. In warmer temps, my strategy is to vent as much as possible. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 10:19 pm 
Relax, what you have to say is irrelevant to me...we can agree on that.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 am 
The only and I do mean the only thing that will keep you clothes dry is.... Carrying spare dry clothes. When I know it is going to rain and I go cross country, I will bring 2 extra jackets and 2 extra undergarments. Most of the time, the cross country occurs at the beginning of the trip and you are going uphill. As long as you are generating heat, live with the wetnss. Then you get higher, and you experience less brush....that is where you change. It may be snowing or it may be slightly raining. You then eventually will get wet, and head back...into the brush. Then about 1/2 way through the brush you change again. Then you change again when you get back to the car. All the time, you are only changing the top. The bottom....well, your legs and feet can handle wetness a lot longer than your top and I never change anything below the hip.

Art is an adventure.