Forum Index > Gear Talk > Maiden Voyage/Beating of a $705.25 Rain Jacket.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Sep 25, 2013 10:45 pm 
cairn builder wrote:
Arcteryx is known for their gold plated pricing. What do you get for your money?
Well, a lot of people who own dead bird stuff say it's the best stuff they've ever owned. I wonder how much of that is "I spent a LOT of money on this, so of course it's the best." I'll be waiting to see what Critter thinks of this shell. I had no idea he'd spend that kind of money on something as it seems to run counter to the low-budget aspect of "crittering" that he's played up in other posts. Critter - I hope you get good value out of it. One thing's for sure, you won't be hard to see out there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostWed Sep 25, 2013 11:05 pm 
cairn builder wrote:
My friend bought a rain shell at Costco for about $100. We'll say half of that was the jacket. He's had out a year and a half, with moderate use. When it wears out, he'll buy another one. He could buy 14 of them before he's spent as much as your Arcteryx. Is it 14x as the Costco one? Arcteryx is known for their gold plated pricing. What do you get for your money?
I know that rain gear. Campmor's Storm Venture Rain gear is similar, but I feel better. If your friends jacket is still functional then his results are not typical. My girlfriend and I have used Marmot, Helly Hansen, Stoic, LL Bean, and a couple of Patagonia shells not to mention the less expensive rain gear. They all work well at first but they wear out fast. Your friend couldn't climb halfway up Mt Rose(baby mountain) in moderate rain with out getting soaked. Also, your friend surely can't dry wet items under his jacket while he's walking in the rain. I have lots of experience with inexpensive rain gear and I feel they all are disappointing. I liked my Patagonia Torrentshell, if this jacket is 6 times better I'll be happy. I already love the adjustments on the hood.

soUthinkUcanCamp
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 6:33 am 
ahhh the true inner gear whore comes out in all of us eventually!! lol.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 8:07 am 
Critter wrote:
I have lots of experience with inexpensive rain gear and I feel they all are disappointing.
I've had lots of experience with expensive rain gear and all are disappointing. hockeygrin.gif Re allegedly "waterproof breatheable" rain gear, the key is low expectations but a $700 purchase price makes that impossible.
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Well, a lot of people who own dead bird stuff say it's the best stuff they've ever owned. I wonder how much of that is "I spent a LOT of money on this, so of course it's the best."
Randy likes his Arc'Teryx shell, a piece I'm familiar with cuz I sewed a bunch of patches on it. biggrin.gif AFAICT, Arc'teryx has good quality control, nice patterns, good stitching and good fabric -- on par with Westcomb, Marmot, Rab, Patagucci -- but there's no doubt that part of the purchase price is for the label. Hell, the apostrophe alone is worth $50 to some posers. tongue.gif Per my observations, most Arc'teryx stuff is sold to Vancouver BC area suburban women poser power shoppers. Arc'teryx is the Patagucci of BC, i.e., very uncritterlike.
cairn builder wrote:
My friend bought a rain shell at Costco for about $100. * * * When it wears out, he'll buy another one.
That is a sound strategy. One of our buds -- very experienced, thousands of days in the mountains, summitted Denali 2X, Matterhorn, lots of big alpine routes, expert skier -- uses the same strategy of buying lightweight PU shells on off-season sale for around $100 and then buying a replacement when it starts to leak. Just talking with him about gear purchase priorities last night during a run. His philosophy is to spend top dollar on footwear, packs and technical gear, and dirtbag everything else.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 8:33 am 
I was buying a new Marmot precip jacket every year until last year when to my horror I discovered they had quit seam sealing the sleaves. Now this year the seams are sealed again but too late. I got the half price REI eVent jacket. I expect that jacket to last two years. At half price it was only $110. It does not feel like it will delaminate as quickly as Marmot Jackets. Marmot always sends me a new Jacket for free when they delaminate so I could have gotten away with never buying a new jacket until they made the crappy one with no seam sealing.. it failed well before it delaminated. I have one new men's large Marmot Precip Jacket I got as a factory replacement, it still has the tags on it. It should last at least a year, but I'm kinda sold on the eVent fabric now. Rain pants never last, they wear out in the seat, I just know not to expect to stay dry in rain pants. I'm tempted to get the heavy rainpants that brush pickers wear and pack them along but only wear them at lunch time. They would probably be too warm to hike in. I bet they would last a long time though.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 9:01 am 
That Westcomb stuff looks very nice.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 9:04 am 
Westcomb = ex-Arc'teryx designers. My Neoshell shell is the Westcomb Shift LT. Nice simple design, lightweight. Hope the recently acquired warranty replacement doesn't delam like the original. Preliminary word is that my original was made from a bad batch of fabric that was overcooked during the lamination process. We shall see.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 9:46 am 
My experiences are about the same as BigSteve describes. I've had various GoreTex shells, Precip jackets, other laminate designs. Tried out an eVent jacket (REI Shuksan) but had the zipper fail within a month so I returned that. Nothing has kept me totally dry so I just accept that I'll get damp while hiking and not worry about it. Still keeps me dry enough that I don't run into trouble. Current strategy for me is to hit up the Outdoor Research clearance sale every year or two and get a discounted jacket. I had a Celestial jacket that I loved and used for years but it's no good for real rain anymore. Picked up a Foray jacket last year for $100 and I'm pretty happy with it. Vents reasonably well, keeps me dry. Interesting to hear how the Arc'teryx coat holds up, I've never owned any of their stuff. Do they offer any kind of warranty?

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 10:24 am 
Critter wrote:
My girlfriend and I have used Marmot, Helly Hansen, Stoic, LL Bean, and a couple of Patagonia shells not to mention the less expensive rain gear. They all work well at first but they wear out fast.
Of course they'll wear out faster, that isn't the point. The jacket you bought costs 14x more, does it last 14x longer? I understand the appeal of buying pricy new gear, it's a lot of fun. I guess my pal is just going Critter style instead of what you're doing. wink.gif

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 11:14 am 
Critter style is a little different. I don't expect everyone(or anyone) to understand. I've been buying and replacing inexpensive rain gear for years, even using tyvek. I just think it would be awesome to hike all day in driving rain and arrive at camp dry. My goal is to be able to leave behind my sleeping bag, pad, and tent, as usual, but now also extra clothes. I have no problem hiking while soaked and changing into fresh clothes at camp. I just need to see if I can save the step of having to dry my clothes at camp.

soUthinkUcanCamp
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 11:19 am 
Critter wrote:
it would be awesome to hike all day in driving rain and arrive at camp dry.
Dream on, Critter
cairn builder wrote:
Of course they'll wear out faster
IME, expensive ePTFE shells usually start to leak sooner than far less expensive decent quality PU coated shells.

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 11:24 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Critter wrote:
it would be awesome to hike all day in driving rain and arrive at camp dry.
Dream on, Critter
At least I know you will be really impressed if I pull it off. I think we're all gonna have a good time testing this jacket.

soUthinkUcanCamp
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 11:32 am 
Critter wrote:
if I pull it off
Or if you tell yourself you've pulled it off. A $700 purchase price can have a strong influence on one's mind. See Post-purchase rationalization tongue.gif Anyway, I've got hundreds of days in driving rain in expensive rain shells so I already know. ETA: Gotta tellya Critter, I just can't figure out a critter style guy buying a poser Van BC suburban woman power shopper rain shell bart.gif

iron

iron
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 11:46 am 
Critter wrote:
My goal is to be able to leave behind my sleeping bag, pad, and tent, as usual, but now also extra clothes.
you could just leave behind the extra 6lbs + 6lbs of food you carry and bring the stuff that weighs 2lbs and be safer, more comfortable, etc... $700... dizzy.gif ETA: not sure about all this jacket replacement going on. i've had my crappy montbell jacket for 5 years. it's not perfect, but it's not broken. i'm sure it's performance is on par with other jackets. pretty sure i get out often enough to know what's up...

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 11:53 am 
Big Steve,iIf being comfortable in the rain is all in my mind because I spent $700, I'm okay with that. Anyways, relax you have nothing to lose. I was going to buy two tickets for a Hawaii backpacking trip, but my girlfriend of ten years and I are temporarly separated. I spent the money on this jacket and a cuben fiber tarp, to step up my game. I figure it's a much more long term investment than Hawaii.
Quote:
you could just leave behind the extra 6lbs + 6lbs of food you carry and bring the stuff that weighs 2lbs and be safer, more comfortable, etc...
This video may help you understand. I have a much different style and go lighter than you think.
----------- This message has been Critter approved. I feel this message is honest, helpful, and not hurtful.

soUthinkUcanCamp