Forum Index > Gear Talk > Maiden Voyage/Beating of a $705.25 Rain Jacket.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 12:25 pm 
I've also owned most of the popular shells out there -- cheap coated nylon through a few GoreTex models, including much in between like PreCip, eVent, and a couple of other proprietary fabrics. Current favorite is my Westcomb Shift LT made with NeoShell that I got last year. Lightweight, waterproof, reasonably durable, a little fabric stretch, and it breathes better than anything I ever used. For my needs, IMO, the best hardshell available. Arc'teryx makes excellent stuff, but that Alpha SV will probably be less breathable than NeoShell, and over the course of a long day, less comfortable. That said, I'm sure you'll get a lot of good use from it. In any case, it's fun to occasionally blow some cash on a piece of overpriced outdoor gear.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 12:30 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
it's fun to occasionally blow some cash on a piece of overpriced outdoor gear.
We skiers got that covered biggrin.gif I really like my Shift LT notwithstanding that my first one went into full delam mode within a couple months. Damn, I hope the replacement holds up.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 12:32 pm 
nahhhh.... I'd have gone to Hawaii. where you gonna find decent poke on the Olympic Peninsula?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Blue Dome wrote:
it's fun to occasionally blow some cash on a piece of overpriced outdoor gear.
We skiers got that covered biggrin.gif I really like my Shift LT notwithstanding that my first one went into full delam mode within a couple months. Damn, I hope the replacement holds up.
Yeah, I've got a randonnee ski set-up (that I've only used a few times), in addition to classic cross country and skate set-ups, and a lift skiing set-up, so I hear you... up.gif I picked up my Shift LT last year. No delam issues so far, but I've noted your comments and successful return/exchange, so I'll be keeping a watch on my jacket.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 1:27 pm 
I've found our solution for dry hiking in pouring rain.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 1:34 pm 
What is the male equivelent of a maiden? There is none..

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 8:13 pm 
If you're trying to beat it up I'm sure you'll succeed...thin nylon, WP/B membranes and DWR are all fragile in their own ways (no more devil's club dude!). Rain jackets and bushwacking just don't mix...you might get away with it for several trips, or a whole season - maybe two, but eventually the abuse will catch up to you. Staying dry is of course paramount in winter...discount/used jackets may be the better choice for your demands. Maybe it'll be worth every penny...the few arc'teryx pieces I've had have been. All gear has it's limitations though...it's up to the user to understand them and treat the gear accordingly.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostThu Sep 26, 2013 10:34 pm 
Thanks for the expert advice, Dane. I feel that you are correct. I don't want to kill my jacket. I will switch it up for bushwhacking and save my serious jacket for serious situations. I'll reread this thread to get ideas for a jacket to bushwhack in and save my Alpha SV for serious outings. If anyone is interested here's the "Arc'teryx naming system", straight from Arc'teryx. SV: Severe Weather LT: Lightweight AR: All Around SL: Superlight MX: Mixed Conditions/Use FL: Fast & Light

soUthinkUcanCamp
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 1:46 am 
You could always wear a garbage bag over it when you get into difficult terrain. hockeygrin.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 6:50 am 
Dane wrote:
Rain jackets and bushwacking just don't mix...you might get away with it for several trips, or a whole season - maybe two, but eventually the abuse will catch up to you.
ditto.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 7:53 am 
I'm not sure about the change in direction in this thread. If you'd like to destroy your expensive new jacket for our amusement and in the name of testing, you should do self-arrest drills in it. Practice all day long. Film it for us! Feathered Friends says you shouldn't do this in their jackets out-of-the-box, but that they can make one for you with a stronger shell fabric if you need to, so you'll really be putting the jacket to the test. Obviously you should only do this if you know how to self arrest, and only in places with a safe runout.

Relax

Relax
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 1:36 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Dane wrote:
Rain jackets and bushwacking just don't mix...you might get away with it for several trips, or a whole season - maybe two, but eventually the abuse will catch up to you.
ditto.gif
Unless it is the old style 2+ lb cordura covered Rain Jackets. tongue.gif I have an old Marmot Alpinist Jacket that I was a fool and bought when I was young and dumb and went, OOOO shiny! Gotta HAVE! I have bashed a TON of brush in it and it is just fine. Use it cutting trees up and other heavy duty WET, muddy jobs. Its 20 years old and going strong.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 1:55 pm 
Interesting. My c. 1997 Marmot Alpinist pants leaked like a screen door after one hard ski (lift/tour) season. Heavier duty shell fabric is no doubt tougher, but that doesn't completely make up for the fragility of the ePTFE membrane nor the inevitable delam under hard use. Pretty sure Marmot Alpinist jacket was never cordura and never heavier than 400D, half the weight of cordura, though nonetheless tougher shell fabric than Critter's new VanBC power shopper poser piece.

monorail

monorail
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 2:00 pm 
Critter wrote:
I will switch it up for bushwhacking and save my serious jacket for serious situations. I'll reread this thread to get ideas for a jacket to bushwhack in and save my Alpha SV for serious outings.
The OR Rampart is good for bushwhacking, and also for multi-day rainforest treks in monsoon conditions. The fabric is totally waterproof, non-breathable, so there's no fragile DWR to worry about. It has full-side/pit zips for ventilation, so you can practically turn it into a poncho when conditions permit. And it doesn't weigh much. Of course you get some condensation, even with the side zips open, but I've generally found it to be pretty comfortable with wool layers underneath. It's cheap (retails for $80, but I got mine for $40) and durable, so you can wade through devil's club to your heart's content, free of anxiety (at least, free of anxiety about the jacket). Another option: when I'm packrafting, and wearing a drysuit, and have to portage through dense/thorny brush, I always bring along a cheap nylon poncho that I can wrap around the drysuit like a cape, to protect it from devil's club and the like. The poncho is nice to have anyway, as an impromptu lunch shelter in the rain. Anyway, something like that might help protect your jacket.

Relax

Relax
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 2:35 pm 
The alpinist jacket has a fleece liner in it. I finally have a bit of a leak under pack straps on the shoulders after 20 years of use to hard use. No it is not continuous, but, you get the drift. The biggest problem is that it is old style Gore-Tex and doesn't breathe all that well. Its pit zips wide open or bust. It is wonderful as a winter snow jacket and has seen more winter and spring use than anything else.