Forum Index > Trip Reports > I hate to make you all jealous...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostFri Oct 04, 2013 12:06 pm 
...but click here if you want to read my story and see pics of my 3 day hike in the Dolomites. (that would be in Italy, baby cool.gif ) http://kellbell-whywouldanyonereadthis.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-dolomites-part-one-hike-to-rifugio.html The best hiking I have ever experienced; it was just surreal. I'm still pinching myself. Oh, and if you go to part 2, I tell the story of how I got the tent poles back that I left behind on my Spider Gap/Buck Creek pass loop. You won't believe it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostFri Oct 04, 2013 12:41 pm 
Awesome experience. Thanks for sharing. up.gif up.gif up.gif I'm jealous... slobber.gif ... but I will leave the pinching to yourself. clown.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 04, 2013 2:29 pm 
wait ther's pinching goin on .....!!??...gnomee likee pinches....OMG i SLPEKLLT THAT!!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Oct 04, 2013 3:40 pm 
Great stuff Kellbell. up.gif Love the part about the poles.

jcocci

jcocci
PostFri Oct 04, 2013 4:11 pm 
Wow, great photos. Looks like an amazing trip. This place was on my list already.

mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostFri Oct 04, 2013 4:23 pm 
I suspect that "Hating to make us all jealous" is a lie.

touron

touron
PostFri Oct 04, 2013 7:05 pm 
Quote:
Providence did seem to be on our side when we narrowly avoided heading out in the wrong direction.
This reminds me of the guy in the movie The Way who starts out on the Camino de Santiago the wrong way. Looks like a nice trip. up.gif up.gif up.gif I like the style of huts. If we do something similar in the U.S., I hope the huts have a similar appearance and décor.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Oct 04, 2013 7:26 pm 
i am envious! the plan was to do the Dolomites 2014 then i got talked into New Zealand, december 2015. i wish i had $$$ don't you just love hiking in europe? i did Mont Blanc in 2010 mt. blanc, pt. 1 mt. blanc, pt. 2 the refugios or huts are just awesome! made carrying a pack so much easier! i totally enjoyed reading your blog and seeing your photos. you are so giddy with excitement! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostFri Oct 04, 2013 8:39 pm 
Hate to make YOU jealous but we got to spend 2 weeks wandering around in the Dolomites a couple years ago! hockeygrin.gif Glad you had such a great time! It's a hikers paradise over there. Soooo beautiful. I enjoyed your pics...great memories.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
wakerobin

wakerobin
PostFri Oct 04, 2013 10:07 pm 
So Jealous.

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostSat Oct 05, 2013 9:10 am 
bobbi wrote:
don't you just love hiking in europe?
I'm in love the Rifugios...makes me want to build one here in Washington state. You would all visit it, right? Hope you all like mac and cheese. wink.gif Loved looking at your pictures. With all that amazing scenery, I'm embarrassed to say the toilet paper holder was one of my favorites. Those ladders looked INTENSE. No protection, right? Did you get freaked out at all?

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostSat Oct 05, 2013 9:12 am 
the Zachster wrote:
Hate to make YOU jealous but we got to spend 2 weeks wandering around in the Dolomites a couple years ago!
Wow! When you say "we", who do you mean? Do you have pics? I'd love to see them.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Oct 06, 2013 11:13 am 
Kellbell wrote:
bobbi wrote:
don't you just love hiking in europe?
I'm in love the Rifugios...makes me want to build one here in Washington state. You would all visit it, right? Hope you all like mac and cheese. wink.gif Loved looking at your pictures. With all that amazing scenery, I'm embarrassed to say the toilet paper holder was one of my favorites. Those ladders looked INTENSE. No protection, right? Did you get freaked out at all?
too funny that the toilet paper holder is one of your favorites! nope, didn't freak out......the ladders were a bit sketchy but best NOT to look down, 3 points before taking the next rung...no protection! since most of our trails in washington are in national or forest land....good luck in building a rifugio! well, TR - Torres del Paine in Chile also has refugios - i was a bit late to make reservations at the refugios so ended having to tent it 4 of the 5 nights, that meant i carried my tent making my pack a bit heavier. you can rent a tent and from what i saw, their tents were in pretty good condition.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Oct 06, 2013 12:10 pm 
Did Mt Pez dispense candy?? Great photos. How were the bunkrooms? How many people in there with you, and how were the snoring and noisy-early-riser factors? We did some hut skiing near Disentis/Sedrun in Switzerlland back around April 2006 and it was mostly uncrowded enough that the bunkrooms were quite calm (in fact on one night, our group of 6 had a whole hut to ourselves, along with the 2 staffers), but I could imagine if the ones we stayed in had been packed-to-capacity it would have been a little tough on light sleepers. We did this trip with some Germans who said that their favorite huts for hiking were in the Dolomites, and that the Italian huts also had the best food in the Alps. One of these Septembers I will be there. Sitting down to a hearty and tasty meal and a good bottle of wine way up in the middle of nowhere after a hard day of travel is quite a treat, and that terrain does look spectacular.

Kellbell

Kellbell
PostSun Oct 06, 2013 3:07 pm 
joker wrote:
How were the bunkrooms? How many people in there with you, and how were the snoring and noisy-early-riser factors?
We had a private room both nights. The first one had two single beds, and the other had bunk beds. We slept like rocks. I like the Mt Pez joke. smile.gif