Forum Index > Food & Grub > Looking for a wild food survival guide - specific to PNW
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zschwarzmiller

zschwarzmiller
PostThu Oct 03, 2013 9:33 am 
Hello! Anyone have a recommendation for a wild food survival guide which is specific to our region here in the Pacific Northwest? I seem to be having trouble locating one on google! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostThu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am 
I have been looking for one myself but the only thing i found was a flower guide book that just stated edible or nonedible.

"the mountains are calling and i must go" - John Muir
evergreen199

evergreen199
PostThu Oct 03, 2013 10:04 am 
The two on my bookshelf that I've found helpful are (1) Northwest Foraging by Doug Benoliel (ISBN 9781594853661), and (2) Food Plants of Coastal First Peoples by Nancy J. Turner (ISBN 0772656274). Neither is a complete guide to edibles, but they highlight the plants that I'd consider most easily identified and desireable. Mushrooms aren't covered well and algae is only briefly mentioned, so you'd want other guides for those.

zschwarzmiller

zschwarzmiller
PostThu Oct 03, 2013 10:12 am 
Thank You, Evergreen199. If no one else has a complete guide that works well I will look into both of those!

Frosty

Frosty
PostFri Oct 04, 2013 8:35 am 
Nancy also has the Food plants of Interior First Peoples (the companion book for food Plants of Coastal First Peoples), ISBN 9780772658463. The book covers the interior regions of northern Washington and B.C. I was lucky enough to take an Ethnobotany course this summer and learned so much about using native plants. Nancy was one of the instructors, her knowledge of plants and their historical uses was shared along with that of Nisga'a elders. It was a very remarkable experience- heartily recommended for anyone with an interest in the plant life surrounding them! You could also check your local college/ university listings for ethnobotany courses in your area. smile.gif

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostFri Oct 18, 2013 5:20 pm 
I don't own this book yet, but I've seen Jennifer Hahn speak and when it comes to foraging she knows her stuff. Here's the link: Pacific Feast: A Cook's Guide to West Coast Foraging and Cuisine Given that she does a lot of kayaking, I think you'll find lots of info on intertidal foraging, not just foraging in the woods.

zschwarzmiller

zschwarzmiller
PostTue Oct 22, 2013 8:55 am 
Thank You!

vibramhead

vibramhead
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 6:07 pm 
Check out Edible Wild Plants by John Kallas. He's based in Portland, and leads wild food hikes. I've taken one, and he really knows his stuff.