Forum Index > Gear Talk > Satellite messengers have upgraded!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Feb 05, 2014 9:19 am 
Snoqualmiepete wrote:
Safety plan goes from 9.95 to 11.95 - however..instead of only including 10 preset messages OR 10 custom messages...the new plan will include 10 custom messages AND unlimited pre-set messages. I find this to be a huge added value.
Fantastic!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snoqualmiepete

Snoqualmiepete
PostWed Feb 05, 2014 10:24 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Did they indicate the charges for stopping and starting service or switching plans at will?
The way it will work is this - If you opt in for the "Freedom Plans" then you can sign up on any of the plans (Safety, Recreation, etc.) and your Inreach will be active for 30 days...It WILL auto-renew unless at some point during those thirty days you sign in and put your device into suspend mode (No charge...will suspend automatically after the 30 days and remain in suspend mode until you sign up for a plan again) Or during those thirty days you could sign up for a higher or lower plan for the following 30 days at no convenience charge...just the package rate. It seems very flexible and is not "at will" but allows for changes in service on 30 day increments at no extra charge. There is a one-time fee of $25 to opt for the "Freedom Plans" - however this would replace the $20 activation fee that already existed.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostWed Feb 05, 2014 1:37 pm 
This sounds much better. Will the preset messages deliver your location information to the recieving party?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Feb 05, 2014 1:49 pm 
Ranger Rock wrote:
This sounds much better. Will the preset messages deliver your location information to the recieving party?
A preset message looks just like any other message to the receiver. It has a web link that brings up a map with your location. The only difference to you is that it is real easy to send with no typing on the device. Just hit preset button, select one of the three messages and hit send.

Snoqualmiepete

Snoqualmiepete
PostThu Feb 06, 2014 10:41 pm 
Ranger Rock wrote:
Yes - each preset includes GPS coordinates as well as a URL link to view that location on satellite imagery/topo/roadmap.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Feb 06, 2014 10:57 pm 
Snoqualmiepete wrote:
Ranger Rock wrote:
Yes - each preset includes GPS coordinates as well as a URL link to view that location on satellite imagery/topo/roadmap.
Okay, now I am seriously considering getting this device..

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Feb 06, 2014 10:57 pm 
Snoqualmiepete wrote:
Ranger Rock wrote:
And I don't think that clickable coordinate counts as a waypoint charge, which is a nice bonus. You just need to have 3 messages cover most of your communication for the day, which can be done. The interface is easy enough for the person receiving that message and coord, that even my non-map reading, non-technical, non-hiker wife can just click on the link and see on a map where I am. Downside.....Not good for Faux hikers that are actually heading for a day at the tavern or running around having an affair. clown.gif For me, the main benefit of these devices is to put my stay at home wife at ease. I find this does an excellent job, and my wife likes her side of it better than the PLB. I will undoubtedly be changing to the new basic plan when it comes out.

friluftsliv
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Mar 03, 2014 11:02 am 
My SPOT contract runs out on the 9th and the price for yearly service has increased to $149.00 a year, plus tax, about the same as the Delorme. The new Delorme plans start on March 10th. So now its easy for me to choose. Bye bye SPOT. The basic service for a SPOT 3 is $50 more than for a SPOT 2 but you don't get anything extra for your $50. Basic Delorme Service: http://www.inreachdelorme.com/freedom/index.php $11.95 with annual contract =+ bogus $25.00 set up fee Basic SPOT service: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103 $14.99 with a annual contract and forced auto-renewal Spot is $3.00 a month more and does not include any text messages and is on a piss poor satellite system. With the activation fee included Delorme is $11 per year less than SPOT.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Mar 03, 2014 10:10 pm 
Is any info available on how to switch to the new Delorme plan? I am liking having the delorme. At least it works for me, but I think the new plan would fit even better and I will probably upgrade instead of trying to grandfather through on the older slightly cheaper Delorme plan.

friluftsliv
dla

dla
PostWed Mar 05, 2014 8:39 am 
Ranger Rock wrote:
My SPOT contract runs out on the 9th and the price for yearly service has increased to $149.00 a year, plus tax, about the same as the Delorme. The new Delorme plans start on March 10th. So now its easy for me to choose. Bye bye SPOT. The basic service for a SPOT 3 is $50 more than for a SPOT 2 but you don't get anything extra for your $50. Basic Delorme Service: http://www.inreachdelorme.com/freedom/index.php $11.95 with annual contract =+ bogus $25.00 set up fee Basic SPOT service: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103 $14.99 with a annual contract and forced auto-renewal Spot is $3.00 a month more and does not include any text messages and is on a piss poor satellite system. With the activation fee included Delorme is $11 per year less than SPOT.
Sigh...please try to not post such garbage.... Tracking is no longer optional with SPOT 3 as it was will SPOT 2. Tracking is a very popular feature. So YES you do get something. SPOT has an automatic auto-renewal, as is common with many services (your anti-virus sofware, web-hosting, etc.). Send them an email before your renewal date and they won't renew your service. I've done it and it is pretty simple. How many track and OK messages are included with DeLorme's basic service? That's right - not much. Unlimited with SPOT. The GlobalStar satellite system is not "piss poor" as evidenced by the fact that SPOT is by far the most popular locator service. It just flat works. I'm glad we have more choices today and DeLorme's is definitely the most full-featured, and of course you pay for it. SPOT is second place. And COSPAS-SARSAT is in 3rd. They all work.

Snoqualmiepete

Snoqualmiepete
PostWed Mar 05, 2014 10:43 pm 
dla wrote:
How many track and OK messages are included with DeLorme's basic service? That's right - not much. Unlimited with SPOT.
The 3 distinct preset messages will be Unlimited on all of the Delorme plans including the basic..and you can change who they go to and what they say anytime you have internet access to your account. very awesome value! Tracking is .10 a point on the basic, and unlimited on all other plans. Again - the fact that the plans wont require a contract have me very excited!

Snoqualmiepete

Snoqualmiepete
PostWed Mar 05, 2014 10:44 pm 
boot up wrote:
Is any info available on how to switch to the new Delorme plan? I am liking having the delorme. At least it works for me, but I think the new plan would fit even better and I will probably upgrade instead of trying to grandfather through on the older slightly cheaper Delorme plan.
I think you can just call after march 10th.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 8:38 am 
I changed plans on line, plan to try that when the new plans open up on March 10.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Mar 13, 2014 10:06 pm 
Looks like March 25th for the new plans now. New "safety" plan looks like a mandatory price boost but worth it for unlimited preprogrammed texts for the buck or two extra. I think the new safety plan is a lot more reasonable for normal light duty use. Unless it has some catches I am missing, I can live with the new Safety plan much better than the way it is now.

friluftsliv
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Mar 13, 2014 11:12 pm 
dla wrote:
Tracking is no longer optional with SPOT 3 as it was will SPOT 2. Tracking is a very popular feature. So YES you do get something.
That's terrible. I have no use at all for tracking, that is done with my GPS and I see no mention of tracking being included AND I have a SPOT 3 AND I am not given tracking with it. AND you can not just call up any and cancel your autorenewal with SPOT. Why do you tell such lies?