Forum Index > Gear Talk > Satellite messengers have upgraded!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dla

dla
PostFri Mar 14, 2014 8:59 am 
You are obviously a test case.... Unless you got a special deal, you CANNOT have a SPOT Gen 3 without tracking. Your basic plan is $149.99 before taxes and it includes basic tracking. Push and hold the TRACK button until the function light blinks green and your tracking is enabled. Have you set up a shared page? Do you know how to log into your account and view your track messages? Do you have SPOT GEN 3? Or do you have SPOT GEN 2? If you don't want to pay for tracking, then you MUST use SPOT GEN 2. By the way, I sent an EMAIL to cancel service and guess what? They cancelled the service and didn't bill me for an extra year or give me any grief. They have a procedure that works if you follow it. I'm not endorsing their approach to renewals, but it isn't any different than the renewals on other services I use.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Mar 14, 2014 10:51 am 
I have a SPOT 3 I don't get tracking or if I do then it must be free. You can't cancel your autorenew or even opt out of autorenew unless you call during a specific time period before you autorenewal. Unless you work for SPOT, I've been a Spot customer far longer than you and have far more exprience with spot than you do. If you call within a set time of your autorenew they will cancel. I have called three times to have it cancelled and they refused everytime. So I have no choice but to put in an expired credit card number. Raising myprice by $50 just because I bought the SPOT 3 is the final straw. I'm so glad that they could not use the credit card. SPOT is crap and it's tracking is worthless. I did have a year of tracking with my SPOT 1. My GPS does a good job of tracking for free. My SPOT is for sale.. perhaps you want to buy it since you think it is so wonderful.. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8009716 My friend is going to try to cancel too.. let's see if they actually let him do it.

dla

dla
PostFri Mar 14, 2014 12:57 pm 
Wow! You are incredible. You're the outlier that product designers have to consider - and I feel sorry for them and the poor customer service people who have to deal with you. Yes, please sell your SPOT. No, I don't want yours - you've broken enough of them and I can imagine you've already dropped this one in your outhouse.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Mar 14, 2014 1:17 pm 
dla wrote:
Wow! You are incredible. You're the outlier that product designers have to consider - and I feel sorry for them and the poor customer service people who have to deal with you. Yes, please sell your SPOT. No, I don't want yours - you've broken enough of them and I can imagine you've already dropped this one in your outhouse.
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Mar 14, 2014 1:40 pm 
dla wrote:
You're the outlier
Hardly.. "a good idea, but flaky support and terrible business behavior, February 26, 2014" http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Satellite-Messenger-Orange-Black/product-reviews/B002PHRDO2/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_recent?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending There are MANY negative reviews of your beloved SPOT device that you now admit is totally unreliable, so much so, that you would never buy a used one. http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Satellite-Messenger-Orange-Black/product-reviews/B002PHRDO2/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0 "BEWARE! UNETHICAL AUTO-BILLING! RIP OFF!, September 7, 2010 " "One of the Worst Purchases I've Ever Made, January 4, 2012 " "Failure after 2 months, no customer service at all., February 28, 2011 " "Faulty device, poor support., November 28, 2011" "Unreliable with poor customer service, June 20, 2012 " "Defective Product and Horrible Customer Service, February 26, 2010 " "No Customer Support, September 4, 2011" "Very, very disappointed, November 17, 2011 " http://www.amazon.com/review/R16EI00KD7EQ5O/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002PHRDQU&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag= "Unreliable performance, Adhesion Contract for Service, October 31, 2013 " "HORRIBLE DEVICE, SERVICE, WEBSITE, BUSINESS., June 25, 2013 " "Expensive annual fee, $150, January 16, 2013 By Christof Stork (Denver, CO) - See all my reviewsAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?) This review is from: SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger unit (Sports) Besides the basic annual fee of $100, they tack on a hidden fee of $50. They force you to use automatic credit card deduction, so it will be 2 years before you catch on. " "Spot beacon worked only intermittently, and customer service refused to refund my money despite 17 emails and phone calls., December 6, 2012 " "Beware the billing process, September 28, 2012" "Undependable product, abysmal customer service, December 6, 2012 " "You are signing up for forever billing !, May 11, 2012 " "Don't Sign Up Unless You Want It For Life - Horrible Customer Service, January 25, 2013 " "Innovative but unreliable product, company is horrible to deal with., November 8, 2013" 53 reviews like this.. see for yourself: http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Satellite-Messenger-Orange-Black/product-reviews/B002PHRDO2/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_recent?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

dla

dla
PostSun Mar 16, 2014 2:50 pm 
I just upgraded from Gen 1 to Gen 3 SPOT. Very easy. Since I already had an active account, it was out with the old and in with the new - no charges, fees or hassle. Took about 5 minutes until the new Gen 3 was enabled. Then I did a firmware upgrade, which took another 5 minutes. I got the new Gen 3 with a 100% rebate - part of a grand opening event for Sportsman Warehouse. Had a nice long chat with a SPOT rep while I was there - very straight-forward, no BS, and knowledgeable. I love the button layout and overall mechanical design of the Gen 3. It is able to get a GPS fix from inside my house - impressive.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Mar 30, 2014 6:16 pm 
News release says March 25th the new Delorme InReach plans took affect. The "new" basic Safety plan includes unlimited preset message messaging. And a new price. I received no notice of my plan changing in either features or price. I am trying to figure out if I am granfathered in on price and or features. I thought I would see if anyone has checked this out yet, or I will check with customer service. The new unlimited presets I can send out would really be nice. I am liking my Delorme Inreach more all the time. It is exactly what I need. Sure it would be nice to be able to get free tracking points for the base subscriiption, and have it cook pancakes for me, but I can work with the Safety plan with the update and be happy.

friluftsliv
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Mar 30, 2014 6:51 pm 
For me getting unlimited preset messages pretty much takes care of everything I need. I see very little reason to send a freeform message if I can have a ton of presets to choose from. And if I do need to be more specific there are always the 10 messages per month. Since we are going into summer I will probably stick with the safety monthly plan at least until fall and let things shake out a bit before deciding to change plans.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Mar 30, 2014 7:13 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
I see very little reason to send a freeform message if I can have a ton of presets to choose from
You do understand that you still only get 3 Preset messages at any one time? But in the new Safety plan you can send them as often as you want. i.e. you can send "just checking in" a number of times during the hike, without eating into your 10 message allocation. This means, for instance, that you can save the freeform for emergencies, or for someone replying or giving you a message, or for unanticipated unusual events that require a custom message. And once back in computer/phone range you can change any or all of the 3 preset messages anytime. Now I have to figure if that is what is in effect for ongoing subscribers.

friluftsliv
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Mar 30, 2014 8:01 pm 
boot up wrote:
You do understand that you still only get 3 Preset messages at any one time?
No I was not aware that was the case. Guess I jumped the gun with my excitement. Thanks for pointing that out. Also, keep us informed as you learn more. Still, it serves my needs and I in my opinion is the best device to carry.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Mar 30, 2014 8:10 pm 
Well duh, something just occurred to me. You could have a code arrangement with your spouse. One 'checking in' means just that. Two 'checking in's in quick sequence means I am camping here. Three real quick 'checking in's means I am heading back, etc. The possibilities are unlimited. Did you happen to learn Morse Code in the past?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Mar 30, 2014 9:00 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Well duh, something just occurred to me. You could have a code arrangement with your spouse. One 'checking in' means just that. Two 'checking in's in quick sequence means I am camping here. Three real quick 'checking in's means I am heading back, etc. The possibilities are unlimited. Did you happen to learn Morse Code in the past?
Yes, the unlimited presets makes this a much more viable option for those on a limited budget. You just have to get creative. I sent in an account question on the function and cost impact of the recent changes to my ongoing account. Best of all, my wife really likes the Delorme and is able to pop up the map to see where I am, without any technical expertise required. And its nice not having to play "where do I first get phone reception, so I can pull over and phone my wife that I am ok, on the way home".

friluftsliv
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Mar 31, 2014 7:53 am 
I signed up for the Freedom Safety Plan. My current presets are (a) at camp, all OK; (b) all OK but running late and might be coming out late; (c) back at car, all OK. I will likely change (c) for some trips. I went with Freedom because I might upgrade to the Recreation Plan a couple months a year.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Mar 31, 2014 9:46 am 
As soon as I get my tax return I'm going to buy the Delorme and go with the yearly plan.. I hike all year so the Freedom plan won't save me any money.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Apr 02, 2014 8:24 pm 
I heard back from Delorme about my continuing Safety plan. Tough decision maybe, I can continue on at the same price and same coverage, or spend an extra $3 or so a month and get the unlimited preset sends. I can't really see not upgrading from the Safety plan to the new Safety plan. They did not tell me if I would be hit with the $25 plan switch fee, which they say only applies to stepping down in plans. Their policies don't really account for changing to the same plan. dizzy.gif I will say it is nice of them to give me the option though! Here is (most) of what they replied : "Thank you for contacting DeLorme Customer Care. At this time nothing about your plan will change as you are "grandfathered" in with your ongoing Annual Safety Plan at 9.95 per month, this would also apply to your message count. If you would like to take advantage of the new plans, you are able to make the change to the new plan structure by logging on to your explore.delorme.com site and changing your plan there. Once the change has been made to the new plans you then would have all of the benefits that are included..."

friluftsliv