Forum Index > Gear Talk > Need some advice on building my ski touring set up
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 4:09 pm 
I have decided to pull the trigger this year and switch from split boarding to skiing. I bought a pair of BD Carbon Converts with skins. Now all I need are bindings and boots. I think what I want to do is score a good deal on some sort of Dynafit bindings and some La Sportiva boots. I use other La Sportiva footwear for mountaineering and trail running and really like the way they fit my feet. Thoughts? Also, any recommendations on where to go to get my bindings mounted and all that? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 4:46 pm 
Yup, best to buy AT boots from a local retailer, e.g., Pro Ski in North Bend. Be frank with them re your skiing ability and style. I'm fortunate that my skiing style allows me to use uberlight/ubertourable boots. YMMV Best deal on Dynafit bindings is the Speed Turn 2.0, available from snowinn (Europe) for <$220. Ship time from Europe is usually a week or two, so order early. Speed Turn 2.0 is a nice lightweight reliable tech binding. I mount my own bindings. If you don't, use the shop where you buy your boots.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 5:17 pm 
Second the rec on the Dynafit Speed Turns as an excellent deal. FWIW: I've been enjoying my La Sportiva Syborg boots. They are quite light without being ridiculously expensive. I find them stiff enough for touring where I ski more slowly than I do at the resort. I'm not sure whom carries them locally. I've actually had good results buying boots online. Most online retailers offer returns on boots that don't fit -- so you can return/exchange if they don't (of course that is more hassle than trying on several pairs in a local store).

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Oct 07, 2016 9:58 pm 
I have been using some old dynamite racing boots for several years since I gave my asolomon hit hots to my daughter. They work fine for most any lift serviced terrain in north America' have used them on Spamkys Ladder at Whistler. Measly peasy in Us areas. Dynamite bindings on old K2 Shuksan Skis I got at Marmot a couple years ago.work fine for Double Diamond runs most places and non extrem AT runs. Pay your money and take your chances,😈

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
christensent

christensent
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 9:35 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Best deal on Dynafit bindings is the Speed Turn 2.0, available from snowinn (Europe) for <$220. Ship time from Europe is usually a week or two, so order early. Speed Turn 2.0 is a nice lightweight reliable tech binding.
Since I've never used snowinn, I won't say any specific bad things. But I do suggest spending some time reading reviews and familiarizing yourself with the company before making a decision on that one. Regarding bindings, not sure why frame bindings haven't come up. Dynafit's are not for everyone. If you want a light weight dedicated touring setup, Dynafits are the thing to go with (or any other competitor tech binding, some companies actually have much more durable tech bindings for a slight weight penalty). If you want to mostly use the skis in resort (I use my Dynafit's in resort, but I've also broken them twice in the last year), tour occasionally, and/or charge big lines at absurd DIN settings with confidence that your skis will never come off or break, then frame bindings might actually be a better choice and accept the weight sacrifice.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 11:41 am 
christensent wrote:
not sure why frame bindings haven't come up. Dynafit's are not for everyone.
For touring, frame bindings :P They typically weigh two-three times as much. You spend 95% of the day heading uphill, so weight is important, particularly with the very light ski that the OP mentioned. For "side country" (using lifts for most of the vert and touring just to access the goods easier than boot packing) these can make sense -- particulary if you already have alpine boots and don't want to spend a wad of cash for new alpine touring boots with the fittings. But those considerations would make no sense paired with the ski listed in the OP, which is very light and according to reviews a bit squirrelly as speed and on hard snow.
christensent wrote:
charge big lines at absurd DIN settings
Doing this away from a resort with it's ski patrol seems like Darwin award material. I guess you've never experienced the joy of a ride in a rescue sled.

christensent

christensent
PostSun Oct 09, 2016 7:29 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
For touring, frame bindings :P
There was some confusion in my post. For light weight touring I suggested Dynafits. Edited my post to be more clear. Most people don't ski in a manner that would require frame bindings outside resort, but some do. Point is without knowing what type of skiing and what environment, there's no confident way to suggest going one way or the other.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Oct 09, 2016 9:18 am 
+1 to Randy's comments re matching bindings to OP's skis. If one cannot learn to quickly get in tech bindings (e.g., Dynafit), he or she should not be backcountry skiing. There are other good lighter weight tech bindings, e.g., G3 Ion, although they are a bit heavier than the Turn 2.0.
christensent wrote:
Since I've never used snowinn, I won't say any specific bad things. But I do suggest spending some time reading reviews and familiarizing yourself with the company before making a decision on that one.
I have ordered 3 times from SnowInn. No problems, got my stuff within a couple weeks. My most recent snowinn order was for a pair of TLT6 CL liners (unavailable in U.S.) for a screaming deal. Got 'em in 2 weeks. Telemark-Pyrenees, another Euro source, has a better rep. I have ordered T-P several times and had good experiences. If you want to buy domestic, REI, Skimo and others sell the Turn 2.0, although for a higher price.