Forum Index > Trail Talk > Larch hike help (time wise)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolfs

wolfs
PostThu Oct 10, 2013 7:56 pm 
There are at least some larch in Bean Basin proper. In the bowl just under Marys and Judys, within 500 vf of the crest. But it's true that there are not a whole lot of them. Over into the 4th creek or hardscrabble creek sides, on the north, you'd see greater concentrations. Still, all told it's one of the shorter trailhead drives to somewhere that you can see larch, and might be a little less snow than Ingalls.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nojack

nojack
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 7:09 am 
Are the 4th creek larch stands 'more easily' accessed from Beverley (as compared to Bean)? I love that drainage and vista, but don't relish the idea of slip-sliding up the Bean basin with 'in-between' snow levels.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 7:13 am 
The Teanaway will be a zoo this weekend - hunting opens Saturday.

JPH

JPH
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 7:24 am 
Is the cutthroat pass a hunting area? Just wondering what level of flagging to put on my dog.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 9:09 am 
Any thoughts on Iron/Bear Creek up to Teanaway Ridge and that knoll? You access it from a very short dirt road off 97, north of Mineral Springs. I did it in June of last year and saw a lot of larches from the top of the knoll. Not sure how much snow is out there, it could be bad avalanche country.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 9:21 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Any thoughts on Iron/Bear Creek up to Teanaway Ridge and that knoll?
See this trip report JPH - everything's open & you could run into hunters but probably not a high likelihood there.

JPH

JPH
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 9:34 am 
Thanks!

JimK

JimK
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 9:46 am 
If you go up to Iron Bear Pass/Peak you will see a number of hunters. Most use motorcycles. There are several big hunters camps along the Iron Creek Road. Wear lots of orange and you should be fine. There are larch trees along the trail beyond Iron Bear Peak under Jester Mountain. There is a whole forest of larch seen at a distance from Iron Bear Peak. Not a great larch hike but you will see them.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 11:15 am 
I'm not in love with the idea of hiking around a bunch of motorcycles. It looks like I'll probably have social obligations Sunday evenings. Are there any shorter larch hikes? I can probably camp Saturday night to get an earlier start on the trail.

n16ht5

n16ht5
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 1:53 pm 
Any recommendations for a short jaunt in the Entiat for Larches? I can think of plenty of places that are full day hikes in like Pyramid, Duncan, Larch Lake, etc. but I am going to take my daughter and don't want to get too far in with the colder weather. Was thinking of heading up to Crow Hill or up the N Fork trail. I'll be camped there for the weekend.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 3:19 pm 
Entiat has lots of larches but you have to get up high or you'll be spying them at a distance. Not sure how limited you are distance/elevation gain-wise with your daughter along but generally the larches don't appear 'til you're getting close to the ridgetops.

JPH

JPH
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 7:36 pm 
Yana wrote:
Not planning on going to Granite Pass, so that shouldn't be an issue. Snowshoes or no?
So did you go?

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostSat Oct 12, 2013 6:56 pm 
Where along 4th Creek are the golden trees? Anybody know the miles and elevation?

silence

silence
PostSun Oct 13, 2013 7:49 am 
RE: deer, elk and bear season I did some research after finding out that our planned backpack was going to be in the thick of it. While we've backpacked before during hunting season, these articles about it being a record year and recent TRs saying hunters were showing up in droves as early as last Thurs made us think it's not too safe to be out there right now, at least in the more heavily hunted zones ... like the Methow, Pasayten, Entiat and Teanaways Here's a list of dates and zones: http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/summary_hunting_dates.html Not knowing the first thing about hunting I can't comment on how high they wander ... maybe someone else can? Plus with the FS campgrounds closed they might be forced to move higher along the trails just to camp. http://methowvalleynews.com/2013/10/09/small-staff-left-to-oversee-shuttered-usfs-facilities/ http://methowvalleynews.com/2013/10/09/buck-numbers-best-in-decades-for-season-opener-but-local-campsites-limited-by-government-shutdown/ BTW: WA hunters are REQUIRED to wear full orange garments ... so obviously hikers in some of these areas best do that too for their safety's sake. Anyhow, we decided it wasn't worth the risk, nor the loss of piece of mind. A minimum of 400 square inches of fluorescent hunter orange exterior clothing is required. It must be worn above the waist and be visible from all sides. A hat, by itself, does not meet this requirement.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Snowday

Snowday
PostSun Oct 13, 2013 9:36 am 
cairn builder wrote:
Where along 4th Creek are the golden trees? Anybody know the miles and elevation?
Here they are seen from the pass at Iron Peak on Friday:
Beverly Creek Drainage from Iron Peak Pass
Beverly Creek Drainage from Iron Peak Pass
Fourth Creek Basin is in the upper left. You could get there from the Iron Peak trail, but the most expedient way is from the Beverly trail head (elev. 3650') taking the Beverly-Turnpike trail to the Fourth Creek trail and then the county line trail into the upper basin (elev. aprox. 5600'). It's about 4 miles from the trail head into the basin. You could also come in from Ingall's Creek, but that would be the long way. It was pretty gloomy on Friday. Snow shoes were helpful over Iron Peak. It should be much prettier in the sunshine.
Vocanic Neck & Fourth Creek Basin
Vocanic Neck & Fourth Creek Basin
Upper Fourth Creek Basin
Upper Fourth Creek Basin