Forum Index > Trip Reports > Scatter Lake 10/17/2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Abert

Abert
PostSat Oct 19, 2013 12:04 am 
My wife and I took advantage of the continued good weather to spend a few days in the Methow Valley this week. Thursday we hiked up to Scatter Lake above the Twisp River. We passed a few hunter's camps on the drive up the Twisp River Road but there was only one vehicle at the Scatter Creek TH when we arrived and we saw no one all day. The trail intersects the Twisp River Trail shortly after leaving the parking lot and jogs left on it before turning right and uphill. It's in excellent shape. The snow didn't start until the flats a few hundred feet below the lake and we didn't walk on any until we reached the immediate vicinity of the lake itself. After lunch I went up the 1000' above the lake to Abernathy Peak. Staying a little to the right and using what few snow patches there were I was able to find fairly decent footing. It was amazing to be comfortable at 8000' in the middle of October wearing a light shirt and no gloves. If this does continue as forecast for another week I may forgive the weather for our dreary September. Trip photos
Gardners
Gardners
Abernathy Ridge
Abernathy Ridge

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSat Oct 19, 2013 12:39 am 
Awesome. Looks like Abernathy may be a good option for this coming week. Thanks for the TR!

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Oct 19, 2013 7:10 am 
Envious of your larch pursuits! Time is running out. Could that be Shuksan in the zoom shot so far away????

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostSat Oct 19, 2013 12:46 pm 
wow..those are 2 awesome ice photos!

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostMon Oct 21, 2013 7:00 am 
Excellent larch bagging. Love the watercolors too.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey