Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pa say ten! (Black Lake and beyond)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 14, 2013 10:24 pm 
Headed over the North Cascades for my first trip to Winthrop and the Pasayten Wilderness. On the way we encountered a rare sighting....
10-10-13 pasayten 003
10-10-13 pasayten 003
I kept thinking, looking at the east side scenery, this is nice "over on the dry side".....especially after my last outing to the Western Cascades rain forest @ Ashland lakes. We drove over on 10-10-13 and spent the night car camped at the Crystal lake TH. We were packing up the next morning when a ranger truck drove in. We were like Uh-O, we could be in trouble! lol....the only closed sign we saw was on the back side of the outhouse, not visible driving in. She turned out to be super nice, informed us that even though the outhouse was technically closed, we could still use it since they had no way to lock it. I was relieved since I thought I had broken 2 laws, using a closed outhouse that was also signed "women". She said she had been the lead Wilderness Ranger in the area for 15 years and gave us great info on the area and future hiking destinations. So awesome encountering a back country Ranger who was so friendly and informative! It was my first hike into a forest ravaged by a wildfire (2002) and as others have said, it was strange and sad but also cool to see the forest rebuilding itself.
closeed
closeed
rut row!
rut row!
crick below CL TH.
crick below CL TH.
ditto
ditto
So we headed up the lake-creek road to the Black lake TH
ya baby!.....Mt Hardware coat from Opus rocked!
ya baby!.....Mt Hardware coat from Opus rocked!
10-10-13 pasayten 031
10-10-13 pasayten 031
10-10-13 pasayten 032
10-10-13 pasayten 032
don't poke me!
don't poke me!
blackened
blackened
lake
lake
10-10-13 pasayten 046
10-10-13 pasayten 046
10-10-13 pasayten 050
10-10-13 pasayten 050
nice trail
nice trail
10-10-13 pasayten 058
10-10-13 pasayten 058
10-10-13 pasayten 061
10-10-13 pasayten 061
10-10-13 pasayten 066
10-10-13 pasayten 066
So we left the lake and the awesome campsite and headed up trail where we encountered burnt blow down after burnt blow down for nearly 2 miles until we came to a long unused campsite by a very nice waterfall....
10-10-13 pasayten 067
10-10-13 pasayten 067
my tent site
my tent site
10-10-13 pasayten 072
10-10-13 pasayten 072
find the hidden tent
find the hidden tent
10-10-13 pasayten 076
10-10-13 pasayten 076
10-10-13 pasayten 081
10-10-13 pasayten 081
FIRE!
FIRE!
10-10-13 pasayten 089
10-10-13 pasayten 089
gettin' sideways!
gettin' sideways!
burnt leaners w/mts
burnt leaners w/mts
crispy!
crispy!
pasayten '13 028
pasayten '13 028
black lake
black lake
pasayten '13 033
pasayten '13 033
Then we headed home, stopping at the Wa pass lookout for views and pics.....
pasayten '13 044
pasayten '13 044
pasayten '13 051
pasayten '13 051
pasayten '13 053
pasayten '13 053
Awesome trip! PS, lots of hunters around, so wear some bright colors!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Oct 15, 2013 12:07 am 
Wow, what an interesting and awesome choice for a fall color trip! Janet & I did Black Lake not too long after the Lake Creek fire and had a lot of trouble getting around blowdown. It wasn't the prettiest lake we had ever seen, but it was a real nice trail (logged out to the lake, but we couldn't get past the last campsite). Lovely colors!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 15, 2013 1:08 am 
Thanks Kim, yea, gnome knows some cool places. There are about 3-4 sketchy places before Black Lake, but they have detours around now, and not much elevation gain with good terrain....beyond that you might need long legs.
lone larch upon burned out ridge.
lone larch upon burned out ridge.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Oct 15, 2013 7:58 pm 
Great report. up.gif Did you fish? I've been wanting to get over that way before the snow flies and check out the lakes above Black, but looks like I'm not going to pull that off this year. Did you check out any of the camping spots along the Chewuch R.? I did a quicky weekend trip in that area late June expecting it to be mobbed and I was shocked by how few people were in the area. It's one of the most popular deer hunting areas in the State or used to be. I don't know how the fires have affected the deer population, but would think it's doing well with all the new browse and open country now. That's serious horse country, so they do an excellent job taking care of the roads/trails with some of the nicest dispersed camping in the State. up.gif up.gif Thanks for getting the wheels turning, maybe I could sneak in one more trip before NCH gets socked in. The 10 day forecast looks awesome and I haven't done a dedicated Fall color trip yet and bagged my limit of larches.....smile.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
touron

touron
PostTue Oct 15, 2013 8:43 pm 
Nice! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostTue Oct 15, 2013 10:18 pm 
Did you make it up to fawn lake? I've never climbed over so many logs in all my life. Curious how the fishing is. The lake was finally frozen when I made it there.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 15, 2013 10:49 pm 
GeoHiker wrote:
Great report. up.gif Did you fish? I've been wanting to get over that way before the snow flies and check out the lakes above Black, but looks like I'm not going to pull that off this year. Did you check out any of the camping spots along the Chewuch R.?
I fished some but no luck, small fish were on the surface feeding sporadically. I heard there are big fish in there, in retrospect I should have tried a spinner and spoons rather than flies. No, we didn't check out any spots along the Chewuch river but there were plenty of open spots on the road below the Black lake TH, even though there were a lot of hunters in the area.
MLHSN wrote:
Did you make it up to fawn lake? I've never climbed over so many logs in all my life. Curious how the fishing is. The lake was finally frozen when I made it there.
No, we didn't make it to Fawn lake, want to some day. yea, the blow downs were brutal and dirty too with the burn.

Marshall_Dylan

Marshall_Dylan
PostTue Oct 15, 2013 11:12 pm 
Some of the highlights of the trip are Forest Gnome falling in the creek, Old School house brewery in Winthrop, and hitting Bambi on the way over. Hunters and deer everywhere, be prepared to share the wilderness and bring orange.
CJ, FG, AD
CJ, FG, AD
Washington Pass Overlook
Washington Pass Overlook
Washington Pass Overlook
Washington Pass Overlook
Washington Pass Overlook
Washington Pass Overlook
NCH
NCH
Look!
Look!