Forum Index > Partners > Late Fall Backpackin Trip Plans
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Out'Squatchin

Out'Squatchin
PostFri Oct 18, 2013 1:42 pm 
My brother and I are planning on a mid-late November 3 backpacking trip to get our toes wet for winter backpacking. Neither of us haven ever been late fall/winter backpacking, but we both go a few times a year during the summer. Any advice ya'll can give us on gear (what else other than summer gear), food, techniques, and more importantly locations. We don't have snowshoes, but have gaiters and microspikes so not looking to mush through waist deep snow haha. Thanks in advance!

"I wish I knew where I was going. Doomed to be 'carried of the spirit into the wilderness', I suppose" - John Muir 1887
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Oct 18, 2013 4:32 pm 
Welcome to the site. Wow, hugh question. While Im not suggesting you decide against going, if youve never done winter overnighters before there is a LOT to consider. While the Cascades arent known for extreme temperatures it can get very cold out there. Certainly there are avalanche issues that come and go throughout the winter season. If you dont have the gear (read larger pack, cold sleeping bag, four season tent) you can rent them at Marmot (and other places) in Bellevue. I might suggest starting small. Drive to the Alpental parking lot (Snoqualmie Pass) and hike a few hundred yards up the Snow lake trail and set up your tent. If things get cold/uncomfortable you can easily pack up and head back to the car. Depending when you go snowshoes may or may not be necessary.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 18, 2013 10:17 pm 
I recently took 2 down bags for overnight....BRING extra long bottoms and tops...make sure u hav insul.pads...INTERESTING thing about that was I put my thin foam pad on top of my air mattress, wiith an auto window-shade from shuks underneath for insul.... I fell in the creek, but changed into dry clothes and began drying out my boots and pants...then it started to snow...sigh...

Out'Squatchin

Out'Squatchin
PostSat Oct 19, 2013 8:11 am 
Thanks!!! Yeah honestly I didn't even know that there was this forum for NW folks who enjoy getting outdoors. I usually just stick to WTA but I was in need of some advice. And they only have trip reports no forums where I can get info from more experienced people. I've done winter hiking before just simple day trips no snow too incredibly deep. I guess I just really wanted to know if I could get buy with most of my summer gear. I know I'll need a few more things but just wanted to see what the general consensus on the priorities were. And like I said we're going to be trying fall first to see if we're man enough for winter haha.

"I wish I knew where I was going. Doomed to be 'carried of the spirit into the wilderness', I suppose" - John Muir 1887
graffiti

graffiti
PostSat Oct 19, 2013 10:07 am 
And you may want to take an alcohol stove. The gas ones don't work very well in really cold temps. Sucks not having coffee in the morning. biggrin.gif

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
Out'Squatchin

Out'Squatchin
PostSat Oct 19, 2013 3:03 pm 
HAHA yeah no I HAVE to have the coffee in the morning. I currently have the MSR Pocket Rocket, just screws into the top of the fuel cylinder, been looking into maybe getting the MSR Reactor. I know the Pocket Rocket doesn't use liquid fuel, its like pressurized propane I think. I mean when we head out its oatmeal and coffee for breakfast, walk and eat for lunch, and Mountain House freeze-dried food for dinner. So all you need is some boiling water for those. From what reading and whatnot that I've done, I know you need to bring extra food because you burn more calories while you're in the cold. Plus from the reviews I've read the reactor works better in windy conditions, where as the Pocket Rocket can get blown out. Another thing would be my boots, I have a pair of Merrell Continuum hiking boots, I've sprayed waterproofer on them, but I'm not 100% if I'd need something a little more insulated. They seem to do well enough on winter day hikes, but I'm not sure about extended winter exposure.

graffiti

graffiti
PostSat Oct 19, 2013 7:19 pm 
Toss your tanks into the sleeping bag with you if it's going to get too cold. That way they'll work in the morning. One time I was fortunate enough to have an alcohol ring with me. It wouldn't boil water worth a dang but it would warm it up enough to put the propane tank into it so I could get it working.

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Oct 19, 2013 10:08 pm 
Out'Squatchin wrote:
Any advice ya'll can give us on gear?
Bring bomb proof rain gear. Poncho, extra tarp, boot care, etc..

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
hikerdan3369
Slave to The Gear

hikerdan3369
Slave to The Gear
PostMon Oct 21, 2013 10:33 am 
Skyline might be an option for you.......TH is in the parking lot at Stevens Pass (the north side lot) and goes up up up to Skyline Lake. not a long hike, great views on clear days and def snow experience to be had up there. If you're using a cannister stove as well as sleeping with your cannister put them in a bowl of warm water while cooking. just a little bit of warm water will help immensely. I find that my buff (neck gaiter) is one of my favorite pieces of winter gear. Many uses. Enjoy!

If it were easy everybody would do it.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Oct 21, 2013 3:08 pm 
hikerdan3369 wrote:
and def snow experience to be had up there.
Yes, be prepared for wet and heavy snowfall and bring a 4 season tent. I usually call it a hiking season around the 1st of November when I start waxing my ski's (Not really). I hear that winter hiking is wonderful if you don't freeze to death. Good luck. Don't forget to bring your cell phone just in case you have some last words to your worried mother. biggrin.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostMon Oct 21, 2013 10:58 pm 
I can't offer experienced advise, but one of my most important items in cold weather is a pair of cheap, small gloves. All of the fiddling with cold zippers and what not will leave your fingers numb. We occasionally camp in river valleys down to single digits with a 3 season tent. So, our experience starts there. I'm still experimenting with high altitude camping. I've only camped at Paradise in Mt Rainier NP four times in the winter. I like it since it is similar to Backpacker Joe's suggestion. Plus I get to leave the food in the parking lot (no canister to pack in) with 2.5 gal of water. I also learned that a JetBoil sucks at that altitude in the cold. I had to put the canister on the car vent to warm it up enough to boil water. I have a Reactor now and I'm looking forward to testing it out. I only like (at this point in our experiment) it when the avalanche danger is next to nil and the weather is nice. Unfortunately, sunny winter days lead to cold winter nights.

Out'Squatchin

Out'Squatchin
PostFri Dec 06, 2013 12:31 pm 
As far as shelters are concerned any of ya'll have any experience using a hammock with like an underquilt/spaceblanket/insulator and a tarp for spending the night out in the cold? I've used it a few times back in October, but never really tested it in anything below like 40 degrees. The underside gets a little cold (obviously) from the air underneath you, all i did is wrap my space blanket underneath my back and it reflected most of my heat back and I stayed really warm all night. Its just that it packs up SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than my REI Halfdome, and I don't even have a 4-season tent, so I don't know if I could get away with that, plus its SOO much more comfortable hockeygrin.gif , and set up is a breeze with the straps I have for it. And boots is probably the other question I have. such as would I be able to get away without getting a pair of insulated ones if I just layer up the socks or would it be a smart investment to get the insulated boots?

renegadepilgrim

renegadepilgrim
PostThu Dec 19, 2013 7:22 am 
I hammock year round with a 20F setup...I use TQ and UQ, only had one situation with CBS because I didn't have my UQ secured right and there was a huge air pocket underneath me. It's so much nicer hanging in the winter!

_____________________________ Travel Blog: http://renegadepilgrim.com Trail Reports: http://wenthiking.com/renegadepilgrim Instagram: renegadepilgrim
ADAHY

ADAHY
PostSat Jan 04, 2014 2:45 pm 
I often hammock down to single digits in winter, have played around with UQ's without satisfaction. Finally I just seam taped a half again piece of blue cell foam to an original giving me the extra width to surround me. That with my 20 deg in my 15 deg bag leaves me toasty warm.

" The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".
Out'Squatchin

Out'Squatchin
PostMon Jan 06, 2014 10:37 am 
Awesome, yeah when I was researching it seemed like it was hit and miss for UQ for people, like you either love it or hate it. It seems like more often than not most people tend to just use some sort of foam as some sort of wind break to keep the conductino from the wind and your body down. One guy even just went to the hardware store and got some ducting wrap and cut it to the size of his body and used that. Or you just basically make a pod with your hammock and yourself inside the sleeping bag.