Forum Index > Partners > Late Fall Backpackin Trip Plans
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jan 07, 2014 1:59 am 
Admittedly i have found an underquilt on a gathered end type hammock fussy. On the other hand i find an underquilt on a bridge type hammock a completely different animal. There is little chance for air gaps to form....than alone makes them warmer. Add a hammock sock as a wind break

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Out'Squatchin

Out'Squatchin
PostTue Jan 07, 2014 1:51 pm 
Yeah see i have a gathered end type hammock, its the Kammock Roo...really nice and suuuuper comfortable. I've used it thus far in some lower elevation outings, nothing too incredibly cold so it isn't that bad, but lord knows what its gonna be like when I'm a few thousand feet up a mountain side or up in a high mountain lake/valley.. paranoid.gif

"I wish I knew where I was going. Doomed to be 'carried of the spirit into the wilderness', I suppose" - John Muir 1887
Wolfman

Wolfman
PostWed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 am 
Hi Squatchin, I to am working on a winter setup for a hammock. I am using a WBBB XLC. So this is what I have come up with so far. And I am still in the testing stage. Layer 1: (From out to in) Mylar coated foam. 36 x 78. I got this off Amazon for like $5 plus shipping, total was less then $10. It's a GREAT wind break and good at heat reflection. Layer 2: Foam sleeping pad. I use a combination of two pads. The first one is the a closed cell roll up pad that goes under my feet and most of my core. It's 20 x 66. Next is a thin (3/16) blue pad with open cell foam that is about 1/2" thick, this pad was about 6' long but is cut in half and taped together to make it extra wide, about 48" wide. This goes under me from my shoulders to my butt, so I end up with two layers under my hips. As I turn a lot and side sleep, I am still working on a way to keep all this secure. Layer 3: 20 degree down sleeping bag. Which keeps me warm as long as the wind does not get to me, and I have some insulation on the sides. I normally get the chills where the bag touches the sides of the hammock and there is no insulation to buffer the cold air. I have been down to freezing with this, I could probably go colder one I figure out a way to secure it all in between the hammock layers. Although the pads are bulky they are very light, and are easy to attach to the outside of the pack. My air pad, is a big Expite SDLX that is almost 2 lbs, it works great on the ground, but moves to much in the hammock. I also like the idea of the Mylar blanket outside the hammock to reflect heat and stop the wind. Wind seems to be the biggest issue for me in the cold. It sometimes feels like it goes right through the down bag. I also have a 0 degree bag that is not down, it's warm, but big and heavy. I have not tried out in the hammock, but I am thinking about using it to see how well it works with the hammock and if it blocks the wind better. Wolfman

Out'Squatchin

Out'Squatchin
PostWed Jan 08, 2014 1:30 pm 
Wolfman, nice to meet your acquaintance! I've heard of doubling up on the foam pads, specifically the closed cell pad. I have one (old thermarest), and have used it a few times but like you I'm a side sleeper and I roll around a lot and what I noticed was that the pad would slide all over the place and I would have to sorta pull it back under myself in the middle of the night. shakehead.gif I also have a 20 degree Kelty bag, and honestly its done fine, I've spent some cold ass nights, but I handle the cold pretty well. Honestly as long as I'm not freezing cold, I'm fine just staying warm. I have an insert for the bag if the need ever arose, but have yet to use it. Yeah the wind is the biggest complaint I've seen from more experienced "hammockers" cause it flows right under you and sucks the warmth right out. I have managed a way to set up my Kelty Noah Tarp to sorta create doors on either end of the hammock and that stops mooooost of the wind coming in length wise, so it isn't too too bad, but isn't perfect either. agree.gif

"I wish I knew where I was going. Doomed to be 'carried of the spirit into the wilderness', I suppose" - John Muir 1887
Wolfman

Wolfman
PostWed Jan 08, 2014 10:29 pm 
Thanks and Nice to meet you too. smile.gif I have a Sol survival bivy(sp?) that was a big sack. I cut one side open to allow the condensation to leave and I think I will cut the foot side open too to make a large rectangle that I could wrap under the hammock. I am thinking that this will stop and wind form penetrating from the bottom and help reflect some heat. Maybe on the heat, but it's very light and small. I just need to figure out an easy light way to attach it to the hammock. Maybe some coated large paper clips? I think I'll try it out in the back yard this weekend. Easy to bail that way. Wolfman

Out'Squatchin

Out'Squatchin
PostThu Jan 09, 2014 10:23 am 
Yeah, I have the SOL space blanket, things seems pretty rugged, haven't fooled around with it too too much though. Maybe if you were thread come 550 cord through the end and then use a biner to attach it to the hammock near the feet that'd work, kinda like a mini hammock that you'd just suck up underneath the one you're actually going to be sleeping in? Yeah, if only I had trees in my back yard, unfortunately all I have is friggin sub-station for Puget Sound elec and a forest of weeds. Otherwise I'd be sleeping outside more often especially in the summer?! Ohh wee, that'd be nice to get out under the stars even though you gotta work in the morning haha. winksmile.gif Happy 'Squatchin!