Forum Index > Gear Talk > ski/splitboard pants?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 31, 2013 1:39 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 31, 2013 2:01 pm 
I have a couple year's back version of Mountain Hardware Mixaction™ Pant soft shell pants that have worked pretty well for me. I like the thigh vents. The ones I have are a little thin for mid-winter days, but using thicker long underwear and/or windbreaker overpants can extend their temp range. The pants I have came with zip in gaiters -- but I've removed those and find that the pants seal up pretty well without them. For lift-skiing I use a pair of snowboarding pants -- The features I like about these are 1) They have a thick piece of fleece built in the butt -- which is nice for riding on the chair. 2) The thigh vents on the inside help keep things from overheating on warmer days. 3) The fabric is thick and durable and is holding up well against ski edge cuts 4) I got them cheap from DogFunk.com 'cause I bought a particularly ugly prior year design.

ScottP

ScottP
PostThu Oct 31, 2013 4:41 pm 
For most conditions (lighter precip days in winter, early spring conditions) I wear a pair of Patagonia Backcountry Guide softshell pants. They're very comfortable, loose enough to allow layering, and they vent well. When it's dumping and/or I am going to be skiing in deeper conditions, I wear a pair of Flylow Chemical pants. They are bombproof pants. The venting is versatile with inner and outer thigh vents. The knees are reinforced and articulated and the waist is adjustable to accomodate layers. The fit is a little looser than I like, but the protection and comfort are undeniably good. (I got both of these in nearly-new used condition off of the TGR gear swap for about half of retail.) In late spring and early summer, I go with a lighter softshell pant made by Mountain Hardwear. (I think the model is the Chockstone.) In t-shirt conditions, I wear a pair of Kuhl Liberator convertible pants.

Relax

Relax
PostThu Oct 31, 2013 8:05 pm 
iron wrote:
is it wrong of me to ask for non-critter responses in this thread? i want information from people that have been in the mountains for more than a few days using brand new clothing that costs more than my entire pile of mountaineering gear.
EDIT: Lol, just reread your post. Had nothing to do with cheap. You wanted feedback on expensive clothing costing more than your entire... Yea.. Oh well may as well leave this response up as a humorous note... You want cheap? Rubber bibs and or polyurethane coated pants. Well under $100. Down around $50. Or, cheaper yet? Value Village, wool dress pants and then seal the outside with diluted silicone rubber and or heavy oil. Today use wash in teflon which is then held in place when placed in a dryer. I have used some of said stuff on my fleece and can say it works pretty darned well and is pretty nice for about a month, but is expensive than the other options. I also did landscaping when I was young and we got all of our clothes from value village. You worked rain or shine. Rubbing up against brush and mud is hell on clothes, knees, ankles, thigh, butt all shredded in short order. Logging is even worse. Mountaineering/skiing is easier on clothing than either of those two professions.

EJ

EJ
PostFri Nov 01, 2013 12:29 am 
For splitboarding, I have a pair of Patagonia Backcountry Guide soft shell pants. I really like them; they've got an internal gaiter that fits over my boots and venting for when I need a bit of cooling. They've been durable. They are, however, expensive if you buy them full retail (I got mine on clearance.) For spring adventures, I might wear my lighter soft shell pants (the PG Alpine Guide) and I've used regular hiking pants for summer and fall snowboarding (the kind with zippers on the legs so I can get them to fit over my boots.) I couldn't imagine touring in a pair of hardshell or insulated pants (hot!). I've never needed super waterproof pants when splitboarding; the softshells have been good enough.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Nov 01, 2013 7:38 am 
EJ wrote:
I couldn't imagine touring in a pair of hardshell . . . . the softshells have been good enough.
Do you stay home on wet pow days? I like softshells most touring days, but IME they get soaking wet on wet pow days. Also, IME hardshell pants with zipped vents over silkweight are not too hot and sufficiently warm for most PNW mid-winter tours. You can use a thicker base layer for cold/dry snow tours, e.g., E of the crest midwinter tours, Wallowa hut tours, although the right softshell also works fine for cold/dry snow tours.

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Nov 01, 2013 10:57 am 
My setup is goretex pro over heavy softshells. Now, I am not a big backcountry skier as you know. I have found the few times I do it, it works okay for me. sometimes I think it is too roomy. It allows for flexibility to take off the goretex. The problem is and will always be going on the uphill when it is wet snow coming down. Too hot! And I get too sweaty! I guess the only answer to that problem is to not cut trail and follow in your path. The other problem is when the softshells get too wet, the fabric expands and droops at my hips no matter how tight I wear a belt and wear suspenders. I wish there was a fabric that was "stretchy" but would NOT get excessively "stretchy" when wet!

Art is an adventure.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Nov 01, 2013 11:14 am 
Stefan wrote:
My setup is goretex pro over heavy softshells.
Yikes
Stefan wrote:
I guess the only answer to that problem. . . .
Actually there are several other, better, answers to that problem, but I do agree that problem (softshells getting saturated in wet pow) is a common one. Most Cascade Crest/W of Crest tourists use light ventable hardshells over silkweight base layer for wet pow touring days. Zip open the vents on the ascent and zip them up for the descent.
Stefan wrote:
Now, I am not a big backcountry skier as you know.
Yeah, we do know that, but that ought to change, Stefan. Get geared up and join us this season, dude! We could use your aerobic capacity to set tracks for we old-timers. biggrin.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 12:45 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Do you stay home on wet pow days?
Hahahahaha..."wet pow". This is the sign of a true Cascade skier: still considers wet snow is "pow". That's awesome!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 1:05 pm 
Do you have another name for it?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 1:53 pm 
When the temps are above 28F, but the snow is untracked and not yet crustified by sun, wind or the dreaded "R" -- I call it "fresh snow". It is a lot more fun to ski than usual PNW breakable crust or glop.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 1:56 pm 
Sure: How about Cascade Concrete? Or Pacific Ready Mix: Starts out soft and sets up fast. Now, let's not get in a big discussion over names for snow. I wasn't criticizing the term "Wet Pow" Steve; I was just noticing that it takes a true Cascade skier to appreciate "wet' snow and still call it powder! More pow(d)er to you Steve

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 1:59 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I call it "fresh snow"
Yeah, but there are several categories of fresh snow, e.g., champagne pow, light pow, wet pow, mash potatoes, graupel. "Wet pow" and "wet powder" are common usage for fresh power with high water content.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 2:03 pm 
Schenk wrote:
How about Cascade Concrete? Or Pacific Ready Mix: Starts out soft and sets up fast.
Some overlap there. Both are subsets of wet pow. But wet pow also includes fresh high moisture content pow, before it sets up. All are skiable with modern rockered tip skis and good form, and usually quite fun. Ah, the old days when we skied that stuff with 68mm waisted traditional camber skis. Looking forward to trying out my Voile V8s
Schenk wrote:
More pow(d)er to you Steve
har har wink.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 2:21 pm 
I have heard the Inuit, and other Natives of the northern lands, have hundreds of words for snow. I believe we could give them a run for their money! BigSteve wrote: Ah, the old days when we skied that stuff with 68mm waisted traditional camber skis. Very few people ever developed the "head" for the speeds required to ski Sierra Cement on those things! It required lots of kinetic energy to blast through and not be deflected on every turn...