Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Climbing gyms - Which one is the least crowded?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Nov 05, 2013 7:52 pm 
Hello all, I've been considering joining a climbing gym, and I've read a lot about VW and Stone Gardens, and the impression I've got is that both tend to be fairly busy. Can anyone here give me any insight into which is the least crowded of the two, or perhaps an alternative climbing gym that I am unaware of? I work near South Lake Union but live in Auburn, so any gym in between would be fine.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...
PostWed Nov 06, 2013 9:09 am 
They all have their moments. Since all of them put on some kind of classes, you can get in there between and find a lot of space or during and find yourself waiting. My thoughts are this - you wanna get in to them and look for other features: - When top ropes are busy is there enough bouldering? - Are there other attributes that make it better (fitness gym, etc) - Is it easier to get to for you? The biggest barrier I've found about getting into the climbing gym is whether it's convenient to get to... - Is there instruction that's useful if you want it? (leading training, fitness training, etc) - Finally, are the people who run it friendly? This is a big one for me. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I've gone to each Stone Gardens and 3 of the VW's and have had varying experiences. I'm a big fan of the Seattle Bouldering Project too - never been to any of the Tacoma gyms.

Cale Hoopes caledh@gmail.com
dfp

dfp
PostWed Nov 06, 2013 9:44 am 
I think they are pretty similarly with regards to being busy - so it should come down to what kind of climbing you want to do. VW Seattle kind of stinks for bouldering, but I prefer it to Stone Gardens (Seattle) for roped climbing. I've had memberships at both and am with VW now mostly because it is more convenient for me and because I am bouldering less than I used to. If you are only bouldering, I would highly recommend SBP.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. - Edward Abbey
mhutch

mhutch
PostWed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 am 
Yeah, depends what kind of climbing you're into. Haven't been to VW yet but if you just want to boulder SBP is the best of the bunch, it gets crowded at peak times but they all do... I live in the same area and go to edgeworks in tacoma. It's a little drive south and smaller than the seattle gyms, but they have a pretty nice bouldering setup, autobelays, top roping, lead climbing and all the classes and stuff. Their routesetting is generally good and the staff and regulars are a pretty friendly group...

Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostWed Nov 06, 2013 12:21 pm 
All are crowded 600-900pm, that's rush hour at any gym. We go 430-630ish to beat the rush. VW - great for top rope, autobelays now there, high leading walls, older laid back crowd, 5 locations Stone Gardens - better bouldering, autobelays, shorter top roping, younger aggro crowd, two locations SBP - Best bouldering in Seattle, no top rope, no autobelay, huge, one location A lot of it comes down to convenience and people you like climbing with. B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Nov 06, 2013 7:55 pm 
Thanks for all of the input, everyone. Sounds like I'm just SOL if I go at peak times (which I'd have to).