Forum Index > Food & Grub > Dehydrated Eggs, are they all gritty ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Miss Hiker Pants

Miss Hiker Pants
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 7:03 am 
I wanted to try dehydrating ingredients for my famous breakfast burrito, bell peppers, onions, potatoes, sausage etc. I tried dehydrating my own eggs, and they tasted rather gritty. There is so much information on whether you should do it on your own or not. I don't want to spend $30 for a large can of powdered eggs and find that they are just as nasty as the ones I attempted to make. So do all powdered eggs have a gritty flavor? Also, any lunch ideas? I'm going to be on the trail this summer for a 5 day solo trip. I'm trying to come up with food ideas, but I don't think I want to stop in the middle of a hot day & cook. I'm trying to make my meals as light as possible.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 9:49 am 
awaiting reply from the trail cooking diva with breath abate. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 11:47 am 
I'm no diva....but http://www.amazon.com/OvaEasy-Powdered-Whole-Egg-4-5/dp/B00408XID4
They do not have the texture of beach sand. up.gif up.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
l'Emmerdeur

l'Emmerdeur
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 1:17 pm 
I've pretty much given up on the egg options for breakfast. The older I get, the more they tend to sit in my gut like a mixture of cement and semi-dissolved packing peanuts gag.gif Just an oatmeal guy, I guess, although a friend turned me on to mixing in a pouch of Justin's almond or peanut butter to give it a bit more staying power. As far as lunch goes, when I'm solo trekking I usually just nibble throughout the day on trail mix and jerky. Around "lunch time" I'll find a nice spot to kick back for a while and have a Pro Bar, nibble some more trail mix and jerky, maybe a handful of M&M's, wash it all down and be back on my way. Works for me, anyway.

SEMPER IMPROVISIO -or- You can't always get what you want, but if you try some times you just might find that you learn how to Deal...
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 1:19 pm 
l'Emmerdeur wrote:
I've pretty much given up on the egg options for breakfast. The older I get, the more they tend to sit in my gut like a mixture of cement and semi-dissolved packing peanuts gag.gif
Eggs, meat, and dairy make most people sick and they don't even know it, even after they get something like heart disease, erectile dysfunction, or cancer. Consider yourself lucky for not being able to eat them, before they really make you sick.
Hikergirl01 wrote:
Also, any lunch ideas? I'm going to be on the trail this summer for a 5 day solo trip. I'm trying to come up with food ideas, but I don't think I want to stop in the middle of a hot day & cook.
You can just bring lots of trail food. I personally wouldn't even plan a lunch. For breakfast I'd eat one dry cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal, but I've always wanted to do Quinoa flakes for breakfast.
One cup has 36 carbs.  I ate one dry cup of this everyday for a week, for breakfast, on one trip.  Somedays I'd eat it on the go, after breaking camp and while hiking.
One cup has 36 carbs. I ate one dry cup of this everyday for a week, for breakfast, on one trip. Somedays I'd eat it on the go, after breaking camp and while hiking.
Organic Quinoa Flakes
Organic Quinoa Flakes
Easy to cook and easy to add stuff.
Easy to cook and easy to add stuff.
I'd bring some peanut butter and honey sandwiches for the first day or two. I'd bring at least 8 ProBars, a bunch of trail bars and Kind Bars, 2 lbs of prunes, 2 lbs of banana chips, a couple serving a day of protein mix, and that's just for starters.
Kind bars are vegan
Kind bars are vegan
New Larabars
New Larabars
Some vegan options for protein.
Some vegan options for protein.
This is a new plant based protein mix.
This is a new plant based protein mix.
Critter Style Meal in a Bag
Critter Style Meal in a Bag
There are tons of vegan bars available, some are amazing.  Wait till you see the cookies that you can buy.
There are tons of vegan bars available, some are amazing. Wait till you see the cookies that you can buy.
You could make your own apple chips.
This device is a Victorio apple peeler.
This device is a Victorio apple peeler.
When you see apples on sale buy them.  Tart apples in Perfect condition, like yellow apples, work well.
When you see apples on sale buy them. Tart apples in Perfect condition, like yellow apples, work well.
If you hike a lot, you can have a lot of trail food like this.
If you hike a lot, you can have a lot of trail food like this.
Or your own Larabars with cashews, dates, coconut, and lime.
Read the larabar ingredients and mix them up.  Keylime pie flavored Larabars. Grind cashews, dates, unsweetened coconut, and lime juice. The mix should be clumpy but not too crumbly. You'll press it together into a big bar then cut it up. (photo 1 of 3)
Read the larabar ingredients and mix them up. Keylime pie flavored Larabars. Grind cashews, dates, unsweetened coconut, and lime juice. The mix should be clumpy but not too crumbly. You'll press it together into a big bar then cut it up. (photo 1 of 3)
photo 2 of 3
photo 2 of 3
photo 3 of 3
photo 3 of 3
Something like Gatorade mix can add electrolytes and carbs.
Thank you Tad Rex. This really helped.
Thank you Tad Rex. This really helped.

soUthinkUcanCamp
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 1:24 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
I'm no diva....but http://www.amazon.com/OvaEasy-Powdered-Whole-Egg-4-5/dp/B00408XID4
Seriously, they are THAT good. They live up to it!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 3:18 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Seriously, they are THAT good. They live up to it!
If the diva speaks - believe it.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 3:22 pm 
Lol...all I am saying is after I had the Ova's years ago, you'd have to had bribed me hard to say anything nice about freeze-dried MH eggs ;-)

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 4:55 pm 
well... if sarbar says they're okay, I might want to give 'em a whirl. anybody sell them retail? or do they have to be ordered online?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 5:01 pm 
I want to say they have been seen in person at REI but don't quote me tongue.gif

Miss Hiker Pants

Miss Hiker Pants
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 5:02 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
I will give it a try. I make my own granola cereal, which is rather delicious , but not 5 days in a row. I like variety. As for lunches, I'm still working on that. I like to stop mid hike and take a break and "re-fuel" I don't like protein bars as meals. I use those to keep me going between breaks.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 5:04 pm 
If anyone is looking for ideas...I recently revamped the Trailcooking website http://www.trailcooking.com/recipe-home/ It has a handy list of ALL the recipes, by section smile.gif

renegadepilgrim

renegadepilgrim
PostFri Nov 08, 2013 3:49 am 
I love OvaEasy eggs. My latest egg breakfast using them is the following: 2T OvaEasy Egg Crystals 1-2T Freeze Dried Chicken (Mountain House #10 can) 1-2T Dried Hashbrowns (comes in carton, got at Winco, I think) 1T Whole Milk Powder 1T Butter Powder (I use stuff from Thrive) 1 Tillamook Cheese Snacker (they sell 2/.88 at Safeway) I put everything in a zip lock bag, add enough water to get a decent consistency, let it sit for about 10 minutes to reconstitute the chicken and hashbrowns. Then I stick the contents of the zip lock bag in my one egg wonder pan and scramble it. I just got a cookset with a small frying pan, so I will be trying that on the next backpack this winter. When I am going out for shorter periods of time I tend to get more creative with meals and don't mind carry the small frying pan (it's so much fun to cook in!) I'm getting good at steam baking cheddar bacon biscuits too... smile.gif

_____________________________ Travel Blog: http://renegadepilgrim.com Trail Reports: http://wenthiking.com/renegadepilgrim Instagram: renegadepilgrim
Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostThu Nov 14, 2013 12:49 am 
Ova Easy eggs rock! We took a chance and just bought a huge #10 can and it turns out that I use them for everything. They work great in baking, in pre-made baking mixes and I honestly can't tell the difference between Ova Easy scrambled eggs and regular scrambled eggs.

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Nov 15, 2013 12:45 am 
I have a long history with the lunch dilemma, especially for multi-day trips. Last go around I finally settled on bars after acknowledging that when I was solo, I tended not to kick back for very long during the lunch stop. Prior to that I took bagels (because they stand up well to being shoved around in a food bag) with PB (Jif singles for the ease of it) and J (in a squeeze tube). It was fine for about 4 days, after that, I didn't really want PB&J on a bagel anymore. Tortillas and dehydrated hummous are good for getting carbs and protein. For breakfast, I'm happy with oatmeal, though I add dried fruit (usually cherries and ginger) and nuts to add more flavor and texture. I've also added a protein smoothie to breakfast every now and again. Most of my variety comes at dinnertime when I make sure I have something different for each night of the trip. Top it off with some good chocolate for dessert and a hot cuppa with a nip and it's all good!

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin