Forum Index > Food & Grub > Cheese?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 11:50 am 
Cheddar just won't cut it with this hot weather. Any recommendations out there for a warmth-resistant, hard-wearing cheese, not to strong of taste to layer on some tasty biscuits?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cweston

cweston
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 11:59 am 
Aged Gouda. It's pretty mild for the first couple days. Keeps 5 days or more even in summer.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 12:04 pm 
Mmmm...Gouda. I like Gouda. I once carried a 2 lb block of Cheddar to Kahlalau Beach on the Napali Coast. 85 degrees and high humidity. That thing was a melted nasty mess before it ever came out of the pack. A little wisdom..backpacking in Hawaii requires a completely different set of equipment than the PNW.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 12:29 pm 
We've been using string cheese (mozzarella) in the little 1-oz snack packages. Wasteful packaging but it seems to do fine in warm weather, is very convenient and cheap. Of course it's nowhere near as tasty as gouda.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 12:39 pm 
You just need to carry your cheese differently and only buy the real stuff for cheddar (ie..Tillamook). Cheese is fine to carry for days and won't spoil - it does though get soft and oily in hot temps. Still edible. A good cheddar will get limp but won't melt. You can always cut your cheese into 1 or 2 ounce blocks and then dip into paraffin or beeswax to make little cubes to take with you.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 12:41 pm 
That's a Gouda idea!

Canuck

Canuck
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 12:43 pm 
sarbar wrote:
You just need to carry your cheese differently and only buy the real stuff for cheddar (ie..Tillamook). Cheese is fine to carry for days and won't spoil - it does though get soft and oily in hot temps. Still edible. A good cheddar will get limp but won't melt.
We took cheddar cheese with us last weekend (Tillamook) & it melted, separated, and re-hardened. Might have been safe to eat but it looked disgusting & now I'm hesitant to even eat cheese at all, seeing what it looked like with the oil separated out. gag.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 12:51 pm 
The melting is the oil coming out. Sure it doesn't look good but it will eat just fine in dishes. Though..may I suggest shelf stable cheese for you all? http://www.packitgourmet.com/Wisconsin-Cheddar-Cheese-p180.html They sell a Swiss, an Italian and Jalapeno as well. They also carry freeze-dried cheese: http://www.packitgourmet.com/Freeze-Dried-Shredded-Cheddar-Cheese-p446.html

mgd

mgd
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 12:52 pm 
Goldfish Crackers--the cheese, the cracker, and the fish. It is like a miniature food pyramid contained in one cracker. up.gif up.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 12:53 pm 
Quien Sabe wrote:
Goldfish Crackers--the cheese, the cracker, and the fish. It is like a miniature food pyramid contained in one cracker. up.gif up.gif
up.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Sennin

Sennin
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 12:57 pm 
Should this be in the food forum? Parm Mont. Jack Dry Romono Asiago Manchego Mizithra

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 2:01 pm 
I like good Irish cheddar, too – it’s fairly hard, and keeps well. Guyere is another one I like. But just go to the cheese section (the deli cheeses, not where the bologna is) and fondle & squeeze the various cheeses. The hard ones keep best . I’ve had very few problems with regular ole sharp cheddar (I just bought Tillamook cheddar based on Sarbar’s recommendation – perhaps it will keep even better than other brands). Don’t slice it up – keep it in a block. It’s cool enough at nighttime – like a refrigerator – so that it won’t go bad. Might be liquidy each afternoon, but it solids up again at night. I’ve gnawed off the same block of cheddar for up to 4 hot as hell days with no problem. No offense, but I hate those string cheeses, or those in pre-packaged pieces, even the cheddar. There’s something wrong with the way they taste. Sorta like not cheese. Cheese has gotten very expensive the last year or so (or maybe I notice the price now that my income is almost half what it was). Trader Joes has much better prices on the same cheeses that QFC, Safeway, etc. carry.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Man-inna-hillz

Man-inna-hillz
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 2:22 pm 
Manchego French Gruyere Castigliano Sonoma Dry Jack Iberico Aged Goats Milk Gouda Drunken Goat from the Basque region Crotin de Chavignol ...are all excellent hard cheeses that do not sweat excessively, and which go marvelously with bread and salami on a hiking trip.

The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden
touron

touron
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 5:01 pm 
There's a place in Leavenworth that sells cheese and I think makes it too. They have a wide variety... Leavenworth can get really hot in the Summer. I bet they might have some good advice on varieties that can withstand the heat and ways to avoid a meltdown...

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Jul 16, 2009 5:08 pm 
I take hard cheese - parmesian, asagio, romano. They aren't as oily and they have a sharp flavor so a little goes a long way. They're also great for flavoring pasta/couscous at dinner.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone