Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Do you know how to sew?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Do you know how to sew?
Yes, I can operate a sewing machine and am pretty good
20%
 20%  [ 14 ]
Yes, I can operate a sewing machine and am ok at sewing
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Yes, I can operate a sewing machine but am not great at it
16%
 16%  [ 11 ]
I don't operate a sewing machine, but I have hand-stitched things
25%
 25%  [ 17 ]
No, no, I cannot sew. Sew what?
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
La, a note to follow sew
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Ti a drink with jam and bread
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
And that brings us back to sew
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 67

touron

touron
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 9:03 pm 
The seamstress thread got me wondering...how many people know how to sew?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 9:31 pm 
Sew what?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 9:33 pm 
I can operate a sewing machine, but not with any degree of proficiency. My grandmother taught me how to use a needle and thread when I was four. I made tiny pillows for my sisters' dolls.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 10:14 pm 
big red tent with a big red dog
big red tent with a big red dog
If a big red tent counts. Then yes. lots of fix and repair stuff.

hikes and climbs with malamute
touron

touron
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 10:42 pm 
People who are growing this thread, don't ferget to vote in it! As for myself, I do not know how to sew. I had a aunt who was a good seamstress and actually had a curtain making business in her basement. She and her sister also made beautiful afghans. And whenever I got a new pair of pants, as a kid, the legs would always be hemmed to the proper length. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Nov 08, 2013 6:23 am 
I learned to sew as a kid as my Mom sewed all our clothes. It was a natural thing to learn and then I took sewing in school , like all girls back in the day that sort of killed the fun

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 08, 2013 9:41 am 
When a button pops off a shirt or britches, I use a paperclip or safety pin; when that fails on constant basis (adjusting once an hour or so is still good), then I go buy a new shirt or britches. Unfortunately, I hate to shop, so I could go for years with clothes hitched with safety pins and paper clips. I never really considered by self a slob until the internet came about; seeing this stuff in writing is disconcerting. frown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Nov 08, 2013 9:45 am 
I learned how from my Home Ec teacher in Jr High. I was a natural at it. Sewed on a vintage Singer Treadle machine for years. Sewed professionally for years, still do, although I outsourced my FBC Cozies - Ldyblade sews them now for me biggrin.gif lol.gif Too many kids don't leave me much sewing time anymore. I used to make the most amazing medieval and renaissance dresses...sigh. I loved making them in a way outdoor gear has never done it for me.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 08, 2013 10:51 am 
I sewed an outfit once for a Home Ec class in Jr. High. For some reason, I chose a striped material for the blouse; it was like -- well, you know that I Love Lucy episode when Lucy tries to wallpaper their bedroom with striped wallpaper? Nothing was aligned. The pants I made were crooked, and when I put them on, I walked funny. Funnier than usual, that is. I can't recall if I got a good grade in that class, but I suspect most girls' moms sewed their projects for them. We also had to create our own cake recipe, and I did that, all on my own. Final product was more like a gigantic, 2-layer biscuit than a cake; every other girls' product was a wonderful cake --- right from the pages of the Betty Crocker cookbook (I recognized them because my mom, sisters and I always baked from that cookbook - it was a Saturday night thing with us). So though it looks like I was a failure in Home Ec, I was probably the only one who actually did the assignments. At any rate; I don't sew - I buy new.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Nov 08, 2013 3:58 pm 
Home Ec pretty much ruined any fun about sewing. I got assigned a machine that only had one speed, it broke the sound barrier and that was a problem. Years later, I taught myself how to sew. So I guess I can but it takes a lot of thinking and consulting a book. I got pretty good at making shirts and made a shirt with bosummy cowgirls on it for a guy friend to wear. It even had "french seams". eek.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Nov 08, 2013 4:35 pm 
Hell yeah, I sew
Kim Brown wrote:
well, you know that I Love Lucy episode when Lucy tries to wallpaper their bedroom with striped wallpaper?
lol.gif lol.gif

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Nov 08, 2013 5:57 pm 
Isn't a spool of dental floss with a sewing needle tucked inside part of everybody's emergency kit? Ranks right up there with duct tape when it comes to patching up gear or, (heck forbid), damaged body parts.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostFri Nov 08, 2013 7:28 pm 
I've made several full suits (women) and two coats including a camelhair coat with toggle buttons. I got pretty good at doing bound buttonholes too.

JPH

JPH
PostFri Nov 08, 2013 8:39 pm 
Does anyone have a recommendation for a simple sewing machine? we have a hand stitcher that's like a mini sewing machine, but it's not good for much outside of making Halloween costumes and snuggies. I'd like something that's simple and not to expensive. It seems like most sewing machines are pretty pricey, which makes me nervous about ones that are less expensive.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Nov 08, 2013 9:43 pm 
If all you want to do is sew basic things, just get an entry level Singer. Sure, I sew on a Pfaff now, but I sewed on a $100 Singer for a decade+ just as good. As long as you buy good thread, good needles, brush out lint often and regularly oil, it will serve you well.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.