Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Who remembers Buckhorn Beer?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
contour5

contour5
PostThu Nov 14, 2013 4:23 pm 
In the early 70s, we thought Coors was something special. It was unavailable in Wa, so we'd pool our money and somebody would make the long drive to Montana to fill a car with 10 or 20 cases of the precious nectar. It would invariably arrive back at the Matthews beach parking lot warm as bathwater, but we didn't mind; we were drinking the good stuff!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Nov 18, 2013 6:04 pm 
Coors was 5.2 and with Washington beer all 3.2, Coors was some serious intoxication material. Remember the round push - down tabs, err...holes? But who can forget Billy Beer? We got a bunch on closeout for about a buck a sixer - now THAT was some foul stuff.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 5:52 pm 
Seen on an obscure Idaho summit.
This beer can is on the summit of 4060. I saw they sell for 10- 15 bucks on Ebay.
This beer can is on the summit of 4060. I saw they sell for 10- 15 bucks on Ebay.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 6:31 pm 
Ah Buckhorn nasty stuff from the 70s also Schmit, and Rheinlander. In college we were on the Blitz ski team which only participated in beer slaloms. But the granddaddy of all headache beers was Rainier Ale aka green death 6% and sticky. Later to become a NW institution. You did not have to go all the way to Montana to get Curs anyone from Wazzu could tell you it was available in Moscow, ID.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Damian

Damian
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 7:32 pm 
I'd been loosing faith in humanity until I saw this thread. Buckhorn was the runoff from the runoff. I drank plenty of it at WSU in the 70's. I wonder if today's expensive craft beers provide as much pleasure.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 7:43 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
But the granddaddy of all headache beers was Rainier Ale aka green death 6% and sticky. Later to become a NW institution.
I think you're thinking of Mickey's. They came in wide mouth green bottles and were higher alcohol then normal beers of the time. Rainier was lower alcohol and came in brown bottles. I think Mickey's had to be labelled malt liquor and not beer. By today's standard it wouldn't even be high in alcohol.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 7:57 pm 
No not Mickeys although it was nasty also. Green Death was around until 2016 apparently usually in 40 Oz bombers a favorite bum beer along with Old English.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Damian

Damian
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 8:01 pm 
I remember Green Death well. But 2016? Wow. Speaks to the marketing power of nostalgia. Even as it relates to barfing.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 8:31 pm 
Rainier Ale came in 6-packs of 16oz cans before it was discontinued in 2016. It was really cheap (and strong) but probably one of the nastiest beers I've ever tried. A friend described it as tasting like "a can of regular Rainier with a shot of cheap vodka in it" which is pretty accurate to my memory...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 1:11 pm 
A friend of mine said he could name the animal or fish or foul that was on a can of Schmidt AKA animal beer by the taste. We would start out with a good beer and then switch over to animal beer. Empty animal beer cans were often found around areas of cedar and firewood thefts. Now it is Busch Light. Guess the thieves are on a diet.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
glenoid

glenoid
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 2:01 pm 
We couldn’t afford to buy a “Bucko” in those days. We preferred generic “Beer”, beer. (Did find a full Rainier beer can on the flanks of St. Helens before she blew. Unfortunately when I opened the can with my ice axe on the summit, the beer blew up!)

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Dec 05, 2019 11:36 pm 
At 6.0% your gettin' into the ice beer scene. Natty Ice, et al. Ya see guys investing in a few 30 bombs at the grocery stores just after 5 PM most days. Mickeys is ice beer but it's better than some of its competitors. Probably cause the green bottle!! Makes it taste crisper and classy almost like enjoyin a nice classic Europe style beer. North of 8.2 you're into HIGH GRAV territory. Talkin 24 oz cans where the ABV% is in bigger font than anything else. But if you're goin HIGH GRAV you need to be flauntin' 9.2 or above to appear competitive. Don't want to appear weak at an upper tier high gravity party.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Dec 06, 2019 12:52 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Empty animal beer cans were often found around areas of cedar and firewood thefts. Now it is Busch Light. Guess the thieves are on a diet.
Can't buy Schmitty in WA any more. It's my favorite camping beer. It's surprisingly drinkable when ice-cold from the bottom of the cooler and with its low alcohol content you can drink them all day long without getting falling down drunk. One of my camping buddies went on a road trip with his family. He found Schmidt in Montana and called us to let us know. We told him to buy as much as would fit in his car and we had Schmidt again at our last annual camp-out extravaganza. Rainier is 4.6% ABV, not 3.2. I don't know of any commonly available beer that is only 3.2%.

neek

neek
PostFri Dec 06, 2019 1:18 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
I don't know of any commonly available beer that is only 3.2%.
I was going to ask if you've ever been to Utah, but see that they now allow up to 5%. Progress!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 06, 2019 1:53 pm 
There is a 80% difference between ABV and ABW as alcohol is considerably less dense than water. 3.2 beer is ABW or about 4 ABV. Green Death was 6% ABW or 7.2 ABV.