Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > TYSON FOODS abusing and dismembering animals
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostSat Nov 30, 2013 11:39 am 
i saw the new video about how TYSON FOODS abusing and dismembering animals. now i am not against eating meat but i think animals should be dealt with in a humane way. i found an article about how TYSON FOODS did not do much but tell people they did not like the way the animals were treated. that pissed me off, so i called TYSON FOODS and told them i would not be buy from them again. if you have the time i would look up the video and think about calling them too. here is the number to TYSON customer service- 1 (800) 233-6332 if you would like the article here it is- http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-pig-abuse-video-20131120,0,2935374.story

"the mountains are calling and i must go" - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostSun Dec 01, 2013 8:32 am 
I'm not interested in watching the video, but as a meat eater I think it only fair to point out that most people call dismembering an animal "butchering" and appreciate the convenience of buying meat in consumer size portions. Many grocery stores, probably some in your neighborhood, employ butchers and the craft is not considered disreputable by most people.

PostSun Dec 01, 2013 9:48 am 
Butchering is AFTER the animal is dead. There is no excuse at a factory farm for inhumane killing of animals. I hunt. We owe it to the animals we eat for a quick humane death.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Dec 01, 2013 9:50 am 
dave allyn wrote:
most people call dismembering an animal "butchering"
It's quite apparent you didn't watch the video because it has absolutely nothing to do with butchering. Not sure why those fools were doing some of that stuff in the videos. Whipping the piglets' heads into concrete to kill them makes zero sense. That's not how farmers nor industrial kill operations kill stock. There are a few ways to do it, all swift and efficient. I've seen a kill operation -- it's not fun to watch, but it's not anything like the bizarre and brutal stuff going on in that video. The stock is killed very quickly, often knocked out with a blow to the forehead with a pneumatic captive bolt gun (like in No Country for Old Men) followed by slashing the jugular vein. FTR, those idiots did not work for Tyson. They worked for contractor of Tyson, and Tyson has discontinued working with that contractor. AFAIK, Tyson does not directly raise stock. Tyson's uses contractors, to whom Tyson supplies feed, drugs, etc., and Tyson pays on a per head basis when the stock is delivered. There are plenty of rational reasons to not eat industrial meat. But that video does not address those reasons and is an inaccurate representation of how the industry works.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostSun Dec 01, 2013 11:06 am 
Big Steve, probably a better response than mine. Your last sentence describes what I knew was coming so I did not bother to watch. I've worked on some construction projects at a Tyson plant that goes through 20,000 head of cattle a day. At no time did I see any torture or abuse and I was in that section of the plant. Even if Tyson really didn't care about the ethical aspects any employee who took time to torture an animal would be fired for interrupting the process.

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostSun Dec 01, 2013 12:57 pm 
dave allyn wrote:
I'm not interested in watching the video, but as a meat eater I think it only fair to point out that most people call dismembering an animal "butchering" and appreciate the convenience of buying meat in consumer size portions. Many grocery stores, probably some in your neighborhood, employ butchers and the craft is not considered disreputable by most people.
That didn't take long.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSun Dec 01, 2013 9:00 pm 
I'll be sure to pick up some extra Tyson at the grocery store to offset the lack of Tyson purchase by the OP.

trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostSun Dec 01, 2013 9:34 pm 
i know that there are probably a million people who work for tyson that are innocent, but they are not the problem its company policy. i am sheer if they were a little more strict about who takes care of animals and how they take care of them this could have not been a problem. i eat meat, this is not about eating meat or or killing animals. its about the mistreatment during there life before they are killed and processed. i am pissed that their company policy is so laps this could go on for so long.

trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostSun Dec 01, 2013 9:38 pm 
Layback wrote:
I'll be sure to pick up some extra Tyson at the grocery store to offset the lack of Tyson purchase by the OP.
hay man( or lady), i know you mite be joking around but i think its a little rude to antagonize me when i am trying to be serious.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Dec 02, 2013 11:31 am 
I see no evidence that Tyson's corporate policies condone or allow that kind of thing. Looks like exactly the opposite to me. But hey, I've got a pitchfork and some torches ready to go!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 02, 2013 11:53 am 
Right. Tyson discontinued using that contractor. I've done biz deals with Tyson. Tyson, like any other huge corporation, is in the business of making money. Whipping piglets to smash their skulls is not a profitable endeavor, and Tyson doesn't want this kind of publicity, so of course Tyson stopped doing biz with that contractor. There are plenty of reasons to not like Tyson and other megacorporate factory meat producers, but this video of some idiots working for an independent contractor is not one of those reasons.

markod72

markod72
PostMon Dec 02, 2013 12:49 pm 
Tyson is huge in my Iowan hometown... An old train track turned bike trail runs right behind the plant. When they do their venting of whatever the **** it is they're incinerating, it creates a mist that falls right onto the bike trail. It stings your eyes and skin, smells so bad. When the air is stagnant, all their exhaust flows right into town. It'll make you gag, it's so thick and pungent. I don't know what they're funneling into the North Raccoon River, but their little outflow creek is completely covered in algae and absolutely stinks. I just call it as I see it. Won't go into their treatment of the animals, haven't heard anything of it. Not a whole lot of regard for anything surrounding their property though.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 02, 2013 1:07 pm 
^ ^ ^ See, I told y'all there were reasons to not like Tyson Foods. Not surprised to hear that. Tyson has been nailed for numerous violations of the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act.

trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostMon Dec 02, 2013 1:45 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Right. Tyson discontinued using that contractor. I've done biz deals with Tyson. Tyson, like any other huge corporation, is in the business of making money. Whipping piglets to smash their skulls is not a profitable endeavor, and Tyson doesn't want this kind of publicity, so of course Tyson stopped doing biz with that contractor.
i read they discontinued the contract, but the amount of film was collected over the course of 2 months(i think). you know i just wonder how long it was going on before that undercover guy started collecting the film..... so how long has it been going on behind tyson foods back, and if they had a more strict policy about inspection would it have been stopped before it reached this level of unacceptable behavior. well that what i am trying to say bigsteve is that not all dealings with them are bad but in this situation it would have been beneficial to keep on top of there business dealings with contracted farmers.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 02, 2013 2:17 pm 
backpackingnut wrote:
if they had a more strict policy about inspection
Independent contractors are called "independent" for a reason. I'm no fan of Tyson Foods, but I acknowledge that it cannot be expected to keep a close eye on the everyday operations of each of its thousands of ICs.