Forum Index > Food & Grub > Fancy/Cheap Gizmo for Dehydrating Apples (Video by Critter)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostWed Dec 04, 2013 7:32 pm 
Here's the latest video by Critter. This was my first serious attempt at shooting a video after the passing of my cinematographer, who was also my father. I did this quickly so please excuse things like how boring it is (when I'm not talking) and the lighting. My dad would have showed me how to shoot this, step-by-step, so feel free to chime in with your audio/visual suggestions.
My dad in the sound room.  He was a camera man, editor, and executive producer
My dad in the sound room. He was a camera man, editor, and executive producer
In this photo my dad is the camera man.
In this photo my dad is the camera man.
Below is my video. I didn't include info like using lime juice, citric acid, or sodium whatever for preservation but, hey, your in the food section now and in good hands with true experts like Sarbar, so ask away. Be sure to see the bonus footage at the end.
Here's the link to the Victorio Apple Peeler. It's $24.22 on amazon.com, at the top of this page.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostWed Dec 04, 2013 9:36 pm 
Cool gizmo and nice video. One small tip: if you dip the apple slices in the cinnamon sugar you will achieve greater efficiency. Sprinkling the sugar/cinnamon ends up with quite a bit of it on the tray instead of the apples. More important in oven cooking, perhaps, where it would cook onto the tray... Looked for the bonus, but found none. Some secret technique for shutting off lights or cameras? The real bonus here was the pics of your dad with all that cool vintage studio gear...

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostThu Dec 05, 2013 8:22 am 
That was a bonus camera angle at the end. My dad would have done that part. Your reward for watching the whole thing. Thank you. I'll put the cinnamon/sugar on a plate next time, my reward.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Dec 08, 2013 12:58 pm 
I've had one of these apple peeler/slicer things for a long time. It's very high-quality and one of those rare devices that is designed to LAST.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Dec 08, 2013 9:57 pm 
I scored one of those peelers at a fall blowout a year or two ago for $10, it is my BFF now in fall :-D Best of all, my 3.5 year old loves doing all the peeling. Hah!!!!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSun Dec 08, 2013 10:43 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Best of all, my 3.5 year old loves doing all the peeling. Hah!!!!
up.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Dec 08, 2013 10:45 pm 
Bonus points when a kid thinks chores are play lol.gif lol.gif up.gif

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Dec 09, 2013 2:57 pm 
Yeah, you wanna keep that going as long as you can! PS Critter -- was that video shot from your house? Killer view in the back. Is that view across from Mercer island?

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Dec 09, 2013 3:00 pm 
Yeah, cause their 16 year old brother is all mad.gif mad.gif when I ask him to do anything lol.gif

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostTue Dec 17, 2013 4:23 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
PS Critter -- was that video shot from your house? Killer view in the back. Is that view across from Mercer island?
Thank you. That was shot from my house on Hood Canal.

soUthinkUcanCamp

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 pm 
Critter said....." I buy apples when on sale. I got them 3lbs for a dollar if you can believe that." That's pretty funny. Reminds way back in the 1970's when Americans noticed that I drank wine always asked...."Oh, which do you prefer the red, white or rose??". So it is with apples. I did extensive testing on different apple varieties for drying. This was over 20 years ago, so I did not get to test many of the newer varietals that have come out since that time. By far the best for drying at that time was Fuji's that were just starting to water core. I would just drive past an orchard and pick them off the ground after asking. I think some of the newer varietals would dry very well and might actually be better than water cored Fuji's but at my advanced age I am no longer that curious. Oh forget sugar. Causes all sorts of problems. Use Splenda for drying.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostThu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 pm 
For 509 - the best apples we've found so far are Aztec Fuji's. They are a late season fuji, and they are, hands down, the best apple we've found so far. Honeycrisps are good, but these have a great combination of flavor and texture. The local produce market near us gets them and when they close their open air market for the year, we go stock up - we've purchased about 200lbs of apples to cold-storage in our spare fridge (which is entirely filled with apples and 25-lb bags of gluten free flours) and garage. (Well, that's how many we purchased... we're probably down to 120lbs or so by now - two months later.)

Sean T

Sean T
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 10:45 am 
Mcintosh. The best apple ever. I've noticed WA hates on NY apples. I rarely find them here...

"he is one of those wolf lovers and hides in the shadows". 32 Predators

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 11:06 am 
nuclear_eggset wrote:
For 509 - the best apples we've found so far are Aztec Fuji's. They are a late season fuji, and they are, hands down, the best apple we've found so far. Honeycrisps are good, but these have a great combination of flavor and texture. The local produce market near us gets them and when they close their open air market for the year, we go stock up - we've purchased about 200lbs of apples to cold-storage in our spare fridge (which is entirely filled with apples and 25-lb bags of gluten free flours) and garage. (Well, that's how many we purchased... we're probably down to 120lbs or so by now - two months later.)
Is that what you use for drying?? The newer varieties Pink Ladies, Cameo's, and Jazz are tasty apples for eating. Honeycrisps are great, but really expensive. I have not tried drying these new varieties. Maybe next summer. The Splenda instead of sugar for drying really does improve the storage and taste of dried apples.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 1:49 pm 
Nobody has mentioned Winesap apples...the best tasting apple on Earth! (IMO) We have a couple orchards up at Greenbluff that grow them. Yummmmmmmm

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.