Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > World Cup 2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Oarboar
Comically unhip

Oarboar
Comically unhip
PostFri Dec 06, 2013 1:35 pm 
FIFA held the draw this morning for Brasil 2014, and, yeah, the US has a tough group: USA vs. Ghana, June 16, 3 pm PDT USA vs. Portugal, June 22, 3 pm PDT USA vs. Germany, June 26, 9 am PDT The USA beat Portugal in 2002, then lost to Germany in a close one to the eventual champions in the quarterfinals, and Ghana beat the USA in 2006 and 2010. Now, there are two ways to look at this. We can look at it as being trapped in this group with a bunch of tough teams, or, like Rorschach from Watchmen, we can look at it as they're trapped in the group with us. Guess which I prefer? If we're in a Group of Death, then it's time to make sure we're the ones wielding the scythe. Load up the bandoliers, clean the rifles, sharpen the knives, fix the bayonets, and make sure the lasers are properly mounted on the velociraptors. You can find the rest of the draw right here.

Sadly, right now I'm a poseur. Sigh.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Dec 07, 2013 4:05 am 
Yikes! That sorta ruined my weekend. We are in a world of hurt.

lostintheforest

lostintheforest
PostSat Dec 07, 2013 12:13 pm 
Some days the US looks like it could beat all of those teams and some days it looks like it couldn't beat any of them. Kind of depends on which team shows up. If they can at least beat Ghana in the opener, might have a chance.

fjoro

fjoro
PostSat Dec 07, 2013 7:33 pm 
There can't be too many groups that people are happy about. It's a strong field this time around. Then again, it's the World Cup. It oughta be. Group E looks pretty sweet, though.

How would Horatio Alger have handled this situation?
Oarboar
Comically unhip

Oarboar
Comically unhip
PostWed Jun 11, 2014 9:43 pm 
Bump. It starts tomorrow, and the United States has its first game Monday. I would've left Davis at home and taken Donovan, but Jurgen Klinsmann has still put together a solid squad outside of a shaky back line that gave up two late penalties in the last two tuneup matches. However, the US did with both games 2-1, so I'll take that scoreline anytime. Clint Dempsey and DeAndre Yedlin of Seattle are both with the national squad. I'm hoping to see Dempsey's goal face a lot, and I'm hoping the young Yedlin lives up to Klinsy's opinion of him. The streaky Jozy Alitdore seems to have found the on switch with two goals against Nigeria, and the second one on the assist from Michael Bradley was a beauty:
New to all of this? Here's a good guide for newbies. It's like Christmas morning, although I don't know if we're going to get a lump of coal or a pony. As always, the United States needs to be the windshield, or it's going to be the bug.

Sadly, right now I'm a poseur. Sigh.
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jun 11, 2014 10:08 pm 
The teams I'm most interested in watching are; Argentina, Uruguay and Germany.

touron

touron
PostWed Jun 11, 2014 10:16 pm 

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jun 12, 2014 9:18 am 
Germany

Art is an adventure.
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu Jun 12, 2014 12:35 pm 
What do you think of Klinsmann's comments regarding the USA not having a chance? Was he just being a realist? Or was he just trying to cover his behind in case the USA does not get out of the group stage? Or was he trying to get his team a little loose prior to the tournament, making them think they have nothing to lose?

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jun 12, 2014 12:57 pm 
Redwic wrote:
What do you think of Klinsmann's comments regarding the USA not having a chance?
realist. Like thinking the mariners are going to win the World Series this year. If everything goes just exactly right they have a chance, but odds are not in their favor. US "soccer" is still at a triple A level compared to Europe and South America. Our best athletes still go to football or baseball. In Germany the best athlete plays "soccer". In Brazil, the guy as fast a Percy Harvin is playing "soccer". In Argentina the best cover guy is a defender on the national "soccer" team, not hassling Crabtree in the endzone. If we would field a "soccer" team with athletes the likes of Adrain Peterson, Percy Harvin, Lebron James or Derek Jeter we would be more competitive. But athletes of that ilk get paid much better in the US playing the other sports. That is the reason our women's team kicks butt, the best all-around female athletes are playing "soccer".

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 2:59 pm 
One of the best things about immigrating to America was to leave soccer behind. What a worthless game!! Why would anybody in their right mind watch soccer during baseball season??? I know most of the world is so poor they cannot not afford a bat or glove, just a ball. Them I can excuse. But for a native born American to watch soccer is just wrong.....your better than that.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Jun 13, 2014 1:07 pm 
Watching baseball is like watching hiking...

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostFri Jun 13, 2014 1:51 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Watching baseball is like watching hiking...
Or watching golf redface.gif I'm not fond of watching junior league soccer and such but c'mon it's the world cup. It doesn't get any better than this. And I love the fluid style of play that the South American teams use - lots of running, passing and ball movement. Fun to watch. I'm rooting for Argentina. ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jun 13, 2014 1:52 pm 
A soccer vs baseball debate.. lol.gif

mike

mike
PostFri Jun 13, 2014 3:37 pm 
Slim wrote:
It doesn't get any better than this.