Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Have you ever seen a ghost?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSat Dec 07, 2013 5:56 am 
Have you ever seen a ghost? When I was a kid I saw a line of people walking out of my closet, on more than one occasion. The people didn't notice me, and I didn't want them to. I would tell my parents but they didn't believe me. They thought I was sleeping but I wasn't sleeping, I was petrified with fear. This was an upstairs bedroom and we were the first family to live in that house. The people would leave the closet at different distances from each other and they would all be dressed differently. I remember one guy was dressed like a swimmer and another like a businessman. They would walk across the room at slightly different speeds and fade away in the corner behind the dresser. One night, as I sat terrified in bed watching them file out of the closet, I waited for a gap between people and ran into my parents room and jumped in their bed. They said I was dreaming but I wasn't. I don't know if I ever saw them after that, but I've seen other unexplainable events. Consequently, I find these types of experiences very interesting and I've done some research to learn more about them.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostSat Dec 07, 2013 5:02 pm 
Quote:
Have you ever seen a ghost?
Certainly not. And if I did, I would probably keep it to myself, for fear of being involuntarily committed or drugged out into some kind of netherworld state equivalent to an emotional dial tone. That said, I have experienced phenomena that were largely unexplainable. Deep meditation can result in vivid hallucinations similar to those experienced by some users of entheogenic compounds. These states of consciousness bear a sometimes frightening similarity to various mind disorders such as shizophrenia and should not be toyed with. The human mind can sometimes prove a fragile thing indeed. I also experienced night terror as a child, in the form of lucid dreaming followed by sleepwalking, probably caused by psychological torture perpetrated by my older siblings. One night I woke up at about 3am; out on the railroad tracks, wearing my parka over my pajamas. I was hiding from boogie men who were dressed as nazi soldiers similar to the ones I had seen on TV. As soon as I woke up, I realized I had been dreaming, but still scanned my immediate surroundings to make certain there were no baddies. And of course, there weren't. I shuffled on back into the house and went back to bed. I don't think the boogie man stories ever bothered me again after that experience. I was about 3 years old at the time, if memory serves me correctly. Human consciousness is not very well understood by science. Various religions make some claims (largely unsubstantiated) and there's all sorts of new-age quackery that can provide one with a whole host of fantastical hypotheses, but it may be best to accept unexplainable paranormal phenomena just as they are- unexplainable. Then again; it's sometimes amusing to speculate. I'd advise you to err on the side of caution, however, especially when considering some of the insane ideas being offered in popular culture nowadays:

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Dec 07, 2013 6:09 pm 
Phantom & Spectre
Phantom & Spectre
And finally ghost peak I believe is covered by clouds. lol.gif I've seen it myself and it's a pretty spectacular looking set of mountains. It's number one on my goal list of next year!

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSun Dec 08, 2013 8:39 am 
The ghosts I saw seemed to be people who were crossing over to the other side. Children are more perceptive to spirits. I just lost both of my parents and I was wondering if some kid somewhere was watching them walk out of their closet. So if your kids say they saw a ghost ask them if they looked like this:
Momma and Poppa Critter(1974). That's Just How People dressed. My dad was in his work clothes. The picture doesn't really enlarge.
Momma and Poppa Critter(1974). That's Just How People dressed. My dad was in his work clothes. The picture doesn't really enlarge.
Interesting Parents
Interesting Parents

soUthinkUcanCamp
cefire

cefire
PostSun Dec 08, 2013 8:01 pm 
Quote:
Children are more perceptive to spirits.
lol.gif children are certainly more "perceptive" in that they see dinosaurs, ghosts, yeti's, and UFO's much more frequently than do non-halucinating adults. Taking their accounts as evidence strikes me as very lenient but I guess it isn't hurting anyone to believe in spirits or whatever. To say human consciousness isn't well understood by science is very different from saying it CAN'T be understood by science. All it takes is time and effort - as an academic who keeps up on consciousness research, you'd be surprised at the systematic (read: non-quackery) research data that available on the topic.

Lono

Lono
PostMon Dec 09, 2013 12:49 am 
I've only seen one possible ghost but know folks who've seen menuhene and swore by it so I've cleared my mental path for that. I'm ready for whatever comes out of your closet.

contour5

contour5
PostMon Dec 09, 2013 5:28 pm 
Quote:
Children are more perceptive to spirits.
I would tend to agree with you, Critter. Children's minds are not yet completely hardwired into the synaptic networks that we develop as adults. They're more open to imaginative thinking and mental play. And, probably, more perceptive to paranormal phenomena that we learn to ignore or block out as adults. [quoteTo say human consciousness isn't well understood by science is very different from saying it CAN'T be understood by science.quote] Certainly; we've come a long way in a very short time. New work on the integrated-information theory of consciousness looks quite promising as do many other theoretical concepts. Yet consciousness remains one of the most elusive subjects in all of science; the central issue in current theorizing about the mind. The brain's total computational power may be many orders of magnitude greater than we currently are able to comprehend. The average human brain contains one quadrillion synapses processing on average 10 action potentials per second; thus, the brain performs 10 quadrillion operations per second. I suspect that to crack the neural code of consciousness, it will be necessary to somehow hotwire the human brain's neocortical column well beyond the typical 40 hertz oscillations of normative brainwave functionality. New technology, like electrodes made from conductive polymers, cell-adhesion molecules and other advances in electrode-based neural prostheses and transcranial magnetic stimulation may one day shed light on how memories are encoded into our softly gurgling wetware. A deeper understanding of macroscopic quantum effects, such as entanglement, may allow us to leap beyond the Shannon limit and burst forth into the great singularity.
Quote:
That achievement will trigger a series of cycles in which superintelligent machines beget even smarter machine progeny, going from generation to generation in weeks or days rather than decades or years. The availability of all that cheap, mass-produced brilliance will spark explosive economic growth, an unending, hypersonic, tech­no­industrial rampage that by comparison will make the Industrial Revolution look like a bingo game.
Until then, every thought a genuine supernatural event. We neither understand what consciousness is or how it relates to other, nonconscious, aspects of reality. Therefore; ghosts.

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Dec 09, 2013 6:16 pm 
Sure we are flesh and blood but a lot of what we are made up of is energy and when our bodies die that energy lives on. This can be witnessed by the living in different forms. My brother died when he was 19 and I was 20. I actually saw and talked to him after he passed and he spoke with wise words. You can say it was all in my head but he was there and he showed me things I could have never thought of. I later found out that what I saw was consistent with other peoples descriptions of their encounters with the "deceased".

soUthinkUcanCamp
contour5

contour5
PostMon Dec 09, 2013 9:32 pm 
Quote:
Sure we are flesh and blood but a lot of what we are made up of is energy and when our bodies die that energy lives on.
I actually believe that myself as well. And psi energy tends to follow one's attention. For example you can move chi/prana/ energy around the body simply by focusing on various appendages. Tummo practitioners can actually heat the body core by merely focusing on the gut chakra. Advanced practitioners of advaita are said to be able to manifest "vibuti" or other tangible, physical substances. Having never seen a ghost, I'm inclined to believe that they are manifestations of the mind. I did experience a sort of contact with my mom shortly after she died; but I neither saw nor heard her. I was thinking about her, and considering some advice she had given me before she died. It was an unfinished conversation, and I was thinking about it as I watched steam curling up out of a large outdoor vent. I felt powerful surges of energy in my spine and what I can only describe as a telepathic conversation- I didn't sense words-only meaning. So I guess that even though I've never seen or heard a "ghost"; I've sensed one. I think this not an uncommon phenomena and may occur as a result of unfinished conversations when we lose loved ones, or those with whom we are otherwise entangled emotionally. I feel it might be prudent for one to be somewhat wary of engaging in conversation with spiritual entities. Hard to know exactly who or what you're dealing with. Kind of like the internet I suppose...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 09, 2013 10:07 pm 
I saw Elvis at Trader Joe's last week. No, really, I did.

contour5

contour5
PostMon Dec 09, 2013 10:59 pm 
Quote:
I saw Elvis at Trader Joe's last week
Weird coincidence: I watched most of "Fun in Acapulco" last night. Elvis is everywhere!

touron

touron
PostMon Dec 09, 2013 11:57 pm 
I was at the shoe store the other day, and the clerk said they did not have any blue suede shoes on the shelf. The realization then hit me all at once that Elvis had just been there and I had missed him yet again. I ran out the door and down the street, but how do I know if I ran the right way? banghead.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Washakie

Washakie
PostTue Dec 10, 2013 9:06 am 
BigSteve wrote:
I saw Elvis at Trader Joe's last week. No, really, I did.
I saw Trader Joe at Trader Joe's on Saturday. He suggested I grab another box of peppermint Joe Joes. It really freaked me out. (But I did).

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
cefire

cefire
PostTue Dec 10, 2013 4:02 pm 
As per usual, psi is heavy on anecdotes (I felt such and such) but light on systematic investigation (corroborating investigation anyway - although there is a little bit for precognition eek.gif). Add in the tendency for any currently unexplained event to be perceived as both 1) forever unexplainable, 2) caused by psi phenomenon; mix well and you have the recipe for more of the same. Unrelated question: Do childhood vaccines decrease or increase psi abilities? I feel that they increase psi because of mercury additives which is also the planetary origin of all that is supernatural

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Dec 10, 2013 4:39 pm 
Well, okay, but he sure looked like Elvis