Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Have you ever seen a ghost?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostThu Dec 12, 2013 1:08 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Elvis is everywhere!

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Dec 12, 2013 2:02 pm 

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostThu Dec 12, 2013 11:23 pm 
People depart this world having left their mark on it, leaving people behind who loved and respected them. The influence they still wield on the living is what ghosts are. Society wove myths around that concept for thousands of years, now we have a rich mythology about ghosts, but it's metaphor.

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostThu Dec 12, 2013 11:34 pm 
People say "energy" but don't mean anything by it, nothing specific anyway. Everything is made of energy, even rocks and mosquitos and dead fingernails. Einstein showed us that. It's not what people mean when they say the soul is made of energy. The soul is made of personality and memories and formative experiences. It's like wikipedia getting richer over time as it grows. But of you pull the plug on the servers, wikipedia stops being a thing in the world. If that happens, it lives on but only in peoples' memories, and those memories aren't the whole of what used to be the real website. The most beautiful Bach piece is "only" 12 different notes, but for a moment in time while it's playing, it transcends what it's made of and exists on another level, as beautiful music. Life is the same, but infinitely more complicated. The complexity of life makes it a deep mystery. The experience of life makes it a beautiful miracle.

contour5

contour5
PostFri Dec 13, 2013 1:44 am 
Quote:
The soul is made of personality and memories and formative experiences.
I tend to believe that human consciousness transcends the physical as well as the constructs of ego. Thoughts, memories and experiences are merely the dualistic byproducts of life in the physical realm. Totally unnecessary for the next stage of the journey with Elvis.
Quote:
People say "energy" but don't mean anything by it, nothing specific anyway. Everything is made of energy, even rocks and mosquitos and dead fingernails. Einstein showed us that. It's not what people mean when they say the soul is made of energy.
I tried to be specific in my earlier post, but it's a whopper of a topic and I didn't want to crash the server with endless reams of meandering thoughts. I was talking about prana, or chi, if you like; the electromagnetic energy that animates our consciousness. Easy to experience first hand if you simply pay attention (meditation, etc.) Certainly all matter is more than 95% "energy", i.e., spinning particles and whatnot, but the rocks and nail trimmings probably aren't sentient in the commonly accepted meaning of the term. Unless you are an adherent of the subquantum kinetics approach loosely outlined on such pages as Sphinx Stargate , or a disciple of Rupert Sheldrake's studies into morphic resonance which ascribe a certain level of consciousness to virtually all levels of (seemingly) inanimate forms. Rainbow Gravity theory actually attempts to reconcile Einstein's relativity theory with quantum mechanics and arrives at the conclusion that light itself is sentient (if I'm understanding it correctly.) Actually that's what the santayana dharma has been patiently explaining to us for countless millenia.
Quote:
According to Einstein's general relativity, massive objects warp spacetime so that anything traveling through it, including light, takes a curving path. Standard physics says this path shouldn't depend on the energy of the particles moving through spacetime, but in rainbow gravity, it does. "Particles with different energies will actually see different spacetimes, different gravitational fields," says Adel Awad of the Center for Theoretical Physics at Zewail City of Science and Technology in Egypt, who led the new research, published in October in the Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics. The color of light is determined by its frequency, and because different frequencies correspond to different energies, light particles (photons) of different colors would travel on slightly different paths though spacetime, according to their energy.
Quote:
12 different notes, but for a moment in time while it's playing, it transcends what it's made of and exists on another level, as beautiful music.
Yes. Sound power; sonic, harmonic vibrations- another one of the many particle wave manifestations that can be used to briefly escape the misery and suffering of duality. Even the word sounds of Mojo Nixon carry tremendous cosmic spiritual power. The raspy resonance of Skid Roper's washboard is in itself an invitation to cosmic enlightenment!

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostFri Dec 13, 2013 9:06 am 
Sentience is like music, it's a wonderful and temporary thing that transcends the basic building blocks it's made from. It's also like music in that it stops existing when the machinery that makes it workstops working. Hell, you can see consciousness fade when a person has Alzheimer's our goes into a coma. It stops completely at death.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Dec 13, 2013 12:11 pm 
NPR This I Believe: Penn Gillette: There is No God:
Quote:
I'm not greedy. I have love, blue skies, rainbows and Hallmark cards, and that has to be enough. It has to be enough, but it's everything in the world and everything in the world is plenty for me. It seems just rude to beg the invisible for more.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Dec 15, 2013 6:59 pm 
Even JC agreed with a lot of stuff in that link. After all, he expressed similar thoughts, but in only a few words: "The kingdom of heaven is at hand". Regarding sentience
Quote:
It stops completely at death
Just how would you know? If you really think all there is to this universe is what your five senses show you...you're wrong.

Damian

Damian
PostSun Dec 15, 2013 8:08 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Even the word sounds of Mojo Nixon carry tremendous cosmic spiritual power. The raspy resonance of Skid Roper's washboard is in itself an invitation to cosmic enlightenment!
"Why do you think they call it evolution anyway? It's really ELVISlution." -Mojo N

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostSun Dec 15, 2013 8:49 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Even JC agreed with a lot of stuff in that link. After all, he expressed similar thoughts, but in only a few words: "The kingdom of heaven is at hand". Regarding sentience
AlpineRose wrote:
Just how would you know? If you really think all there is to this universe is what your five senses show you...you're wrong.
If you really think that describes what I said, you're wrong. But I appreciate your need to build a straw man to knock down so easily.

contour5

contour5
PostMon Dec 16, 2013 12:03 am 
Quote:
The kingdom of heaven is at hand
Yes... but Luke spaketh it thusly: "behold, the kingdom is within you" The kingdom is within you and around you; a parallel dimension that occupies the physical space in which we live, as well as the entire universe. To enter the kingdom is to be dramatically translated to the spiritual dimension of consciousness. The physical realm passes away when the kingdom is entered. Elvis awaits you there; glittering in rhinestone splendor among the self-transforming machine elves. Meditation is the key that unlocks the door to the kingdom. You have only to ask: "Who am I?", and the answer will surely come: Not this body; not these thoughts, nor these emotions. The true self is pure consciousness; merely a witness to the thoughts. In this stateless state one may recognize the true self as described in the Sanscrit texts as sat-chit-ananda: existence/consciousness/bliss. Therefore: Don't Be Cruel.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostMon Dec 16, 2013 12:45 am 
Critter wrote:
Have you ever seen a ghost? When I was a kid I saw a line of people walking out of my closet, on more than one occasion. The people didn't notice me, and I didn't want them to. I would tell my parents but they didn't believe me. They thought I was sleeping but I wasn't sleeping, I was petrified with fear. This was an upstairs bedroom and we were the first family to live in that house.
I had a similar experience as a child (12-13yrs old.) I "felt" a presence in the room. I was paralyzed with fear. I literally could not move. This entity came out of my closet. It had several times over a couple of years. For many years I was convinced I had seen a ghost because I was positive that I was awake every time it happened. After doing more research as an adult, I now know that it was a case of what is called "sleep paralysis." There is a really good Wiki article on this if you want to find out more. It's more fun to think you've seen a ghost but as adults we should look for the most logical explanation.

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostMon Dec 16, 2013 7:20 am 
GrnXnham wrote:
I had a similar experience as a child(12-13yrs old.)
GrnXnham, when you sleep your soul exits and reenters your body. Sleep paralysis is caused when your body wakes up before your soul has returned. 12-13 yrs old is much older than the typical age for this type of experience, but I'm sure you have this better controlled by now. You can try to find a physical explanation for this phenomenon but there is a deeper cause. Salvia divinorum is a hallucinogenic sage. It was used by shamans in southern Mexico to make their soul leave it's body. Salvia is available in some smoke shops. If you smoke or eat it you'll likely have a similar type of paralyzing/terrifying experience. This, like our closet experience, is caused when the soul leaves and reenters the body. The salvia, however, produces confusion and hallucinations.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Dec 16, 2013 12:26 pm 
Yes, I used to see Caspar every Saturday morning....Ghosts are not "real" imho, but humans imaginations are really creative. Probably as many people believe in ghosts which they cannot see than believe in God who you also cannot see. So, it all comes down to faith....imho of course. winksmile.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
cefire

cefire
PostMon Dec 16, 2013 4:01 pm 
this thread is like a rorschach into our 'souls', are you: delusional desperate cranky or do you have your own 'style'