Forum Index > Trip Reports > Anthracite & Beaver (USGS Silverton) 12/29/2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Jan 01, 2014 1:35 pm 
Date: 12/29/2013 Destination: "Anthracite" (5002ft, 402P) & "Beaver" (5113ft, 593P), USGS Silverton Party: Matt, Dicey, Lindsay, Gabrielx, GeoTom, Martin S, Dave Creeden, fwb, Michelle These are two Mountain Loop Highway peaks on opposite sides of a col, south of Coal Lake (thus the "Anthracite" name) and north of Beaver Creek (thus the "Beaver" name).
Anthracite & Beaver GPS Track
Anthracite & Beaver GPS Track
Coal Lake Road Lessons learned from the drive to this trip: Yes, you can drive a Subaru to the Coal Lake trailhead in current snow, but probably you shouldn't. Tire chains are very helpful in the snow, but only if you bring chains that actually fit your tires. You can use runners to make the chains fit well enough to move the car, but only about a hundred feet at a time. So we drove the Coal Lake Road 98% of the way to the trailhead, but then Franklin's car got stuck only a few hundred feet from the end. It turned out that neither his chains nor Martin's would fit his car. Thus ensued 1.5 hours of various shoveling, pushing, pulling, and chain-rigging in order to move the final 0.1 miles to the trailhead, where it was flat enough to turn the car around. By the way, Martin's Explorer made it with no problem.
Trying to pull the car out – didn't work
Trying to pull the car out – didn't work
Wrong-size chains attached with a hero loop
Wrong-size chains attached with a hero loop
Coal Lake to Beaver-Anthracite Col We finally got started hiking with intermittent wet snowfall. Coal Lake was frozen hard enough that we could walk across its surface, which saved post-holing through the boulder fields along the edge. Beyond the lake, we suckered ourselves into heading too directly uphill toward the cliffs below beaver. Then had to traverse left with some ups and downs to reach the easier terrain below the Anthracite-Beaver col. We hit the ridge a bit south of the col, so followed it back north to the col, bypassing an unmarked steep point on the west (lake) side.
Coal Lake Trailhead target sign
Coal Lake Trailhead target sign
Walking across Coal Lake
Walking across Coal Lake
Anthracite 5002 We followed the ridge crest from the col to Anthracite. At the end, a wider meadow led almost to the summit, and then a brief steep bit in the woods for the actual summit. Clouds covered most of the view.
Anthracite viewed later from near Beaver
Anthracite viewed later from near Beaver
Walking across the easy part
Walking across the easy part
Turning a corner on the brief steep part
Turning a corner on the brief steep part
Matt, Michelle, Lindsay, Dicey, GeoTom, Franklin & Gabriel (Martin & Dave had already departed)
Matt, Michelle, Lindsay, Dicey, GeoTom, Franklin & Gabriel (Martin & Dave had already departed)
Beaver 5113 Onward to Beaver. While hiking back to the col, a glimpse through the trees showed Beaver's summit crest looking a bit narrow and steep.
Beaver Summit, from the ridge near Anthracite
Beaver Summit, from the ridge near Anthracite
The first part was easy snow on the crest. We took off the snowshoes to continue just east of the crest where it became narrower. Then there was a rocky gap circa 5050 feet, where a steep gully cut through the ridge. Some parties reported finding their way across a ledge here, but it looked slippery and nasty. We dropped down about 100 feet on the east side, where a short steep corner let us into the gully, then we were able to kick easier steps up the far side to the summit. The snow was stable and held good steps today. In higher avalanche conditions, however, all of this travel on the east side of the crest would be on potential avalanche slopes. 3448 Departing the col toward Beaver. 3452 Martin & Dave traversing down to the gully entrance
Gabriel (with his new ice axe) while Lindsay approaches the steep corner
Gabriel (with his new ice axe) while Lindsay approaches the steep corner
Dicey, GeoTom & Michele rounding the steep corner
Dicey, GeoTom & Michele rounding the steep corner
Coming up easier snow on the summit side of the gully
Coming up easier snow on the summit side of the gully
Beaver's summit was a snow-covered rock block, with room for only about three people at a time on top. To get off the top without breaking the steps, the simplest method was just to jump off into the soft snow below.
Franklin jumping off Beaver summit
Franklin jumping off Beaver summit
Lindsay jumping off Beaver summit
Lindsay jumping off Beaver summit
Beaver summit block
Beaver summit block
There were many red coats. Everyone but Dicey had a red jacket, though she did have her mulberry colored fleece coat. The reds were never quite all visible at once, because several people alternated them with blue layers.
Six red coats & two red hats.  The unseen photographer (me) also has a red coat.
Six red coats & two red hats. The unseen photographer (me) also has a red coat.
Red coat for me also.
Red coat for me also.
The earlier delays actually turned out lucky for our summit time, because we had the clearest views of the day while we were on top. It was a fine view of the Mountain Loop Highway and peaks laid out below us. The lack of snow, however, was appalling. Slopes were almost bare below 4000 feet.
The southern Mountain Loop peaks: Lewis, Del Campo, Gothic, Morning Star, Sperry, Vesper, Big Four, Hall (click for full size)
The southern Mountain Loop peaks: Lewis, Del Campo, Gothic, Morning Star, Sperry, Vesper, Big Four, Hall (click for full size)
Big Four, the monster of the Mountain Loop
Big Four, the monster of the Mountain Loop
Hall & Marble
Hall & Marble
Looking west to Anaconda, Long, Bald, Fletcher, & Liberty
Looking west to Anaconda, Long, Bald, Fletcher, & Liberty
Forgotten & Stillaguamish
Forgotten & Stillaguamish
Future traverse between Stillaguamish & Pemmican
Future traverse between Stillaguamish & Pemmican
Exit On our exit, we made a more direct line down, which worked better. We actually could glissade for a couple hundred feet on the barely covered slope below the woods. For going uphill, you have to get through the woods and into the open terrain, but then turn left and go straight up the slope as soon as you can, starting at about 3700 feet. Back at the lake, it was actually fairly warm under cloud cover, so I took a brief swim in the open area of water near the inlet.
A bit of glissading on the barely covered slopes
A bit of glissading on the barely covered slopes
A brief swim at the end
A brief swim at the end
Stats: 5 miles, 2280 gain, 6:15 hours

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostWed Jan 01, 2014 3:00 pm 
My non-blue layer was actually orange instead of red. That's progress for me though as I normally dress in very drab attire. Fun trip, even with the lack of views. A few of my photos:
Stuck
Stuck
Ice skates would have been useful
Ice skates would have been useful
Into the boulder field
Into the boulder field
Michelle descends
Michelle descends
Almost to the ridge
Almost to the ridge
The pink yeti makes an appearance
The pink yeti makes an appearance
Christmas frogs on Anthracite
Christmas frogs on Anthracite
Anthracite summit gathering
Anthracite summit gathering
Final ridgeline
Final ridgeline
Gabriel watches the others
Gabriel watches the others
Matt photobombs Michelle
Matt photobombs Michelle
Hall Peak
Hall Peak
Looking down on the others
Looking down on the others
Frogs on Beaver
Frogs on Beaver
Full flickr set: Anthracite Peak & Beaver Peak; December 29, 2013

Knows literally nothing
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Jan 01, 2014 3:21 pm 
Another cool Mt. Loop adventure. Franklin is braver than I driving up that road in a Subaru! Nice pics of the peaks up.gif

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Jan 01, 2014 3:49 pm 
nice trip up.gif that swim looks like a cold one

Eric Eames
iron

iron
PostWed Jan 01, 2014 6:42 pm 
Jim Dockery wrote:
Franklin is braver than I driving up that road in a Subaru!
braver is one way to describe franklin's snow driving "tactics". i have other words that could be substituted for it...

Type E

Type E
PostThu Jan 02, 2014 11:55 pm 
Looks like a fun trip full of interesting terrain. E

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 3:48 am 
After being stuck I now pack a '1x'1 piece of 3/4 inch plywood for jacking the car up to put chains or digging out and plenty of bunji cords to keep the chains tight. You don't want chains coming off and destroying your fender or severing a brake line. I just googled "sand ladders". They're big with the 4 wheelers but they're be useful to any vehicle in any season as well. They give you a firm space for momentum to get up and out. Kinda like a tow strap, you might not need it but when you do you're glad you had it when you do. Nice pics. No group photo in the water? I thought you were hardcore. frown.gif