Forum Index > Trail Talk > Scientists: Dogs' poop aligned to Earth's magnetic field
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 pm 
Lost without a compass or a GPS? Try a dog with loose bowels. Dogs align their body axis according to Earth's magnetic field when they squat to poop. http://sploid.gizmodo.com/scientists-dogs-poop-aligned-to-earths-magnetic-field-1493113473 Dogs align their body axis according to Earth's magnetic field when they squat to poophttp://io9.com/dogs-align-their-bodies-along-a-north-south-axis-when-t-1493457072

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 10:04 am 
What's a fast-acting laxative for dogs?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 10:25 am 
So, I guess I need to orient my compass to the dog pooping direction? Is that part of the frantic spin arounds prior to eruption that The Used Dog performs? Now there's something else I gotta watch. frown.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 10:34 am 
I never use my compass; I just follow the dog. But are my dogs reliable? They're different. My dogs' poop don't stink. PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences) was scooped by The Journal of Irreproducible Results, which ran a spoof paper entitled "Bovinity Rays" decades ago: Bovinity rays (see comment #11) PNAS paper

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 10:43 am 
wolffie wrote:
I never use my compass; I just follow the dog. But are my dogs reliable? They're different. My dogs' poop don't stink. PNAC (Proceddings of the National Academy of Sciences) was scooped by The Journal of Irreproducible Results, which ran a spoof paper entitled "Bovinity Rays" decades ago: Bovinity rays
You need to carry a backup something...maybe a kitty? Your dog will be confused if there are solar flare things.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 12:23 pm 
To calibrate the compass on my GPS I have to spin it around twice, so maybe that is what dogs are doing when they circle around. But what about when they are going to lay down and they do the circle dance, are the calibrating again or are they just making a nice flat spot? I'll be keeping an eye on Patches to see if she faces north. Normally she faces East because that is the direction I am dragging her on her leash when she has to go.

gb

gb
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 12:34 pm 
Seems like that habit must be deeply in the genetics of the animals. Do humans have the same innate ability - maybe not at home where we are confined somewhat by our trappings - but maybe in the wild?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 12:39 pm 
Any guess what benefit this could possibly confer on dogs in terms of passing their genes on to the next generation? confused.gif

wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 1:52 pm 
Does a dog's RFID microchip interfere with their magentic sense, making them poop in the wrong direction?

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 3:18 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Any guess what benefit this could possibly confer on dogs in terms of passing their genes on to the next generation? confused.gif
Mabye keep them from getting lost from the pack.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 3:24 pm 
Red foxes seem to utilize magnetism in hunting for mice and voles in winter. http://171.66.127.192/content/7/3/355.full

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 4:00 pm 
wolffie wrote:
Does a dog's RFID microchip interfere with their magentic sense, making them poop in the wrong direction?
You need to put a tin foil hat on them. Then they'll be OK. biggrin.gif

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 7:11 pm 
I never realized it but my hunting dogs have been trying to help me out for years. I have had two fairly rare hunting dogs. Both have "walking poops". I always thought this was weird behavior and finally came to the conclusion to there is no FREE WILL. Look if your poop behavior is dictated by your DNA do you really have ANY free will?? Thanks, to this article. I finally realized that the dogs were "walking" merely to "give me LINE". Yes, I can line up the dropped turds and get magnetic north. Do you think I can get my dogs to apply magnitic offset so I don't have to look it up??

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
touron

touron
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 7:16 pm 
This means if you are a neighbor, then it is best to have an east-west facing yard--smaller target. As they say, the evidence is all around. Don't step in it. up.gif up.gif poop.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
mgd

mgd
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 7:28 pm