Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dutch Miller Gap Trail to the Horse Camp 12.28.13
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostSun Dec 29, 2013 12:22 am 
The MF is pretty rough right now. Pothole city. Lots of traffic beyond Mailbox.
Dingford Road is also really rough. No ice but lots of potholes here, too.
The Dutch Miller Gap Trail (road), I didn't see one bike. It's an acquired taste right now. Although the truck tire ruts to the mine help quite a bit a rider has to mind the ice, especially where it's below puddles.
Along the trail I leap frogged with a well fed raven to Goldmyer. He must have smelled the Oberto in my pack.
Beyond the Goldmyer cut off I only saw a set of tracks of which ended at the Hardscramble Lake/Big Snow Mtn unofficial TH. From there I checked out an old car and the old logging crane.
I scouted for the bulldozer but wasn't exactly sure where it was. Anybody have beta on it's whereabouts? I've seen a picture of it a few years ago. While I was there, I stashed the bike and walked up to the horse camp. There was maybe "6-"8 of snow. Ok for trail runners. I sank to my ankles.
On the way down most of the ice softened and I met several hikers on their way in with overnight gear.
Does anyone know the future of the Dutch Miller Gap Trail/Road beyond the mine? It's a great double track ride in the summer! Save the old logging roads!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostSun Dec 29, 2013 10:33 am 
That logging crane looks like quite the crane. I always wondered why equipment like that, seemingly very expensive, was just abandoned. Did the company go out of business? uhh.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jan 01, 2014 8:06 am 
Good to see that you found the old car. I'd really like to know where the bulldozer is too, if it's actually in the area. The only one I've heard about was on Bessemer, and I don't think it's there anymore.

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostWed Jan 01, 2014 9:28 pm 
I'm sure the Bessemer dozer was the only dozer. But the kid in me wants to see more cool stuff. They removed the Bessemer dozer?

TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostTue Jan 07, 2014 8:17 pm 
Pardon the thread drift, but what kind of fenders are you using on your bike? I'm looking for some fenders that will work with 2.3" tires...those look close. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostTue Jan 07, 2014 8:31 pm 
Thread-drifting now back to the Bessemer dozer. The thought of it being moved out of its 1986 resting place is filling me with doubt and wonderment. Does anyone have any further info? I'm not sure I could even find this spot again.........
86DozerBsmr
86DozerBsmr

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostWed Jan 08, 2014 9:39 am 
TeeJay- PM sent. Lopper-Lets go back there! My schedule's open now, pm me!

touron

touron
PostWed Jan 08, 2014 7:39 pm 
It seems if you added a couple gallons of diesel fuel you could save yourself a lot of hiking.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.