Forum Index > Food & Grub > Easy Cold Breakfast Meals
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Wolfman

Wolfman
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 4:55 pm 
I've been using Via and some other brands for the last year. While not as great as a fresh french press, a hell of a lot easier and much less weight. I also like there Moca and a few of there other flavors. And yea, your right in that they dissolve fine in cold water. I have not been to a PCC, I'll have to find one up north and check it out. Wolfman

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 11:14 pm 
Usually Grape-nuts w/ cold water & sugar. Hot water would be great but too much trouble for me. Or, granola, or bagels. Or, home-made muffins, over-baked so they travel better.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSat Jan 11, 2014 9:38 pm 
rice cake and peanut butter. smile.gif I do this one at home, anyway. smile.gif

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 2:07 am 
Breakfast #2
Breakfast #2

mike

mike
PostSat Nov 22, 2014 6:29 pm 
A cold breakfast without real coffee is depressing down.gif

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostSun Nov 23, 2014 6:52 am 
Toasted pecans coated in a little bit of syrup. Make the syrup on the spot. Little brown sugar and water. Thicker the better. Can even "dip" the pecans. Add some oats if you wish as well.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 2:56 am 
i don't have a sweet tooth, so for breakfast i usually eat the same thing i would eat for lunch. never was a fan of instant oatmeal... flour tortillas with peanut butter and shelf-stable bacon bits are amazing. fresh bagels from olympic bagel company on hikes in the olympics are a standard item if heading through port angeles.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 7:25 am 
NWTrax isnt the Fort George stout wonderful??!?!? I am heading to LongBeach for TDay and it is one thing I always have when there.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 24, 2014 1:13 pm 
Another approach used by a friend of mine is to bring a thermos (kind of heavy) and the night before place boiling water and whole grain barley in the thermos and seal it up. By morning the barley is cooked, ready to eat and about the right temperature. Whole grains take far too long to cook over a stove while backpacking -- but thermos cooking allows long cooking times with little fuel use. Alcohol stoves are light -- but alcohol fuel contains a lot less energy than butane/propane. So a canister stove may actually be more weight efficient -- espcially if you want more than 1 pint of hot water per day.
LINK Myself -- I premix granola with powdered milk and place in a ziplock bag at home. In the morning the ziplock goes in my cozy and I add hot water. I use a canister stove and heat up three whole cups of water in the AM. I'm a two cups of joe in the morning guy.

Mickey Jay

Mickey Jay
PostThu Dec 04, 2014 8:24 pm 
How far is your thru hike? Instant grits come to mind; they take very little water if you're already heating some for coffee. I never really liked any trail breakfast foods, and find myself just making a small instant rice-based freezer bag meal for breakfast, sometimes with some tuna thrown in for protein. Although recently I've been experimenting at home with how palatable my homemade granola is dry. I think it would do on its own although how many days in a row I'd want to go dry is kind of still up for debate.

outdoorgrrl

outdoorgrrl
PostTue Apr 21, 2015 10:40 am 
Do you like Swiss style muesli? I like to dehydrate canned crushed pineapple and combine it in a bag with some oats, powdered soy milk, and chopped nuts. Before I go to bed, I add a bit of water to the bag. In the morning, I have a creamy, sweet breakfast cereal. Carry

Are you tired of eating mediocre, freeze-dried backpacking meals? Learn to create inexpensive, tasty meals for backpacking and climbing with the DIY Guide to Instant Backpacking Meals.
Wolfman

Wolfman
PostFri Apr 24, 2015 5:59 pm 
Hi all again. Couple of things from the hike that you might be interested in. Hot oatmeal got very boring, and took to much time. Had to heat water for the coffee and the oatmeal and then after eating had to clean the pot, etc. The cereal and powered milk turned out to be the best setup. If it was a cold morning I would add warm water to the cereal vs cold water. but either way I just ate it out of the Ziploc bag and it was quick and easy. Most of the time I used a second bag just to stop any possible leaks. These would just get rolled up and added to the trash bag. (a large Ziploc bag) Coffee and danish became my morning hiking meal / drink. I would heat water and eat the cereal and then pour the hot water in a Gatorade bottle along with the coffee and instant breakfast pack and it was like a mocha. By the time I was packed and ready the coffee was cool enough to drink as I hiked. This saved the time in camp and allowed me to get moving probably a good 30 min ahead of when I would have been ready having made a hot breakfast in camp. RandyHiker, I have studied those graphs before, and your probably right that a good small stove and canister system would save weight. But dang it I like my little setup! smile.gif