Forum Index > Photography Talk > belay camera
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostSun Sep 15, 2013 1:20 pm 
My top priority is speed...I want it to slide out of my harness-compressed pocket easily, have it power up and autofocus in an instant, have imperceptible shutter lag, and stuff it back in my pocket as it's powering down. No fuss, no waiting, minimal distraction. Oh, and I want to be able to do that left-handed for when I'm on belay. I won't be taking the time to make adjustments for photographic conditions so will be relying heavily on the quality of the camera's automatic settings (is there any way to compare between cameras?) Nice glass and sharp, hi-res captures...but who doesn't like that in a camera? I've really liked the 28mm equiv. "wide" lenses on past P+Ss. Shock resistance is probably smart. I sweat like a fountain so water resistance would be good too... But again, top priority is speed. Budget is up to $500, but for that price it better be a damn nice P+S. I appreciate any advice or reccomendations!

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Sep 15, 2013 3:23 pm 
you need a tough camera.

friluftsliv
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 15, 2013 4:33 pm 
Dane, a couple months ago I was asking a similar question. I picked up a little Nikon "Coolpix L28" at Office Depot. Camera, nice little Lowe case, and a 16gb card came to $138.94 including tax. It's not the FG-20 with the 50mm lens you see in my avatar, but it works, it's pretty fast, and it seems to take fairly decent pictures: all those in my last two trip reports are hand-held shots. No idea about weather resistance, and I've managed so far not to drop it so I can't speak to shock resistance. So far, so good. As far as its "zoom" capability, it looks like I'd do far better with a tripod. This snowshoe hare was about 30 feet away when I grabbed the camera and snapped this Thursday afternoon in gloomy light:
hand-held-unedited-fuzzy_bunny_Ashenbrenner_091213
hand-held-unedited-fuzzy_bunny_Ashenbrenner_091213
If I'd have had the Nikon FG-20 on a tripod and dialed in the aperture settings, I'd probably have gotten better here:
hand-held_upper_queets_trail_under_canopy_unedited_091113
hand-held_upper_queets_trail_under_canopy_unedited_091113
The camera came with a software package that allows me to tweak images, but so far I haven't even opened up the application so I have no idea what I might be able to do with images like that. Doubtless there are others here with more expertise than myself. bk

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostSun Sep 15, 2013 4:40 pm 
I've owned a couple waterproof Optios and liked them...but I'm pretty good at taking care of electronics in the backcountry. "rugged" cameras are more expensive for lower image quality...haven't ruled it out but would like to prioritize image quality over ruggedness this time around.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
mike

mike
PostMon Sep 16, 2013 2:22 pm 
Got my wife an LX5 last christmas on closeout. Great little camera. The LX7 sound pretty good. Goes to 24mm equiv wide too.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 16, 2013 5:16 pm 
I have an LX3 and have been very happy with it, and the LX5 and LX7 look like a nice series of upgrades from there. I like having the RAW option - just get the exposure right while in the field and mess with adjustments later at home (I'm willing to take the time at home, though it does lead to getting backlogged on photo processing and then catching up in batches). The Sony RX100 looks like a very nice camera too. The LX# cameras go a big wider (24mm vs 28mm for the Sony) and also have a wider maximum aperture. These strike me as being among the nicer image quality yielding P&S cameras w/in your healthy budget (the Rx100 II looks like an even nicer camera than the RX100 but it will blow your budget). I have not overly babied my LX3 and it's been going strong for a few years now. I also often wear it around my neck and I tend to sweat a lot, and this has not trashed the camera (though it's not like there's a steady stream dripping directly onto it - more of it being up against my sweaty shirt).

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Sep 17, 2013 9:51 am 
As Joker says, the Sony RX 100 has gotten unequivocal rave reviews for picture quality due to the large sensor - the new II version is a bit better in low light, adds a flip screen and wifi, but it's even more $$. The original is still for sale and can be found around the top of your budget. Not sure how instantaneous it is, but if you push the on button as you are pulling it out of the case it should be ready by the time it is up in position. Make sure to get the $14 grip if you go with one, they are slippery little cameras for one handed belaying.

ericande

ericande
PostTue Sep 17, 2013 4:42 pm 
I second this, that camera is terrific. It will still focus and react slower than an SLR but it's pretty incredible for a P&S.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Sep 19, 2013 12:14 am 
I've seen a positive review of the LX7 with regards to speed-to-focus, which is key to shutter lag. But I've not seen any calibrated measurements to benchmark across cameras, so this came across as a somewhat subjective statement in the review.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Sep 19, 2013 12:20 am 
Jim Dockery wrote:
the Sony RX 100 has gotten unequivocal rave reviews for picture quality due to the large sensor - the new II version is a bit better in low light, adds a flip screen and wifi, but it's even more $$.
It also has an electronic viewfinder option (add more $$$ I'm afraid), as does the LX7. My LX3 only has an optical viewfinder option, which for me is better than no viewfinder (there are many situations where I really prefer to be looking through a viewfinder to looking at a sun-washed-out LCD), but the new electronic ones sound pretty nice.

mike

mike
PostFri Sep 20, 2013 9:44 am 
Damn fine camera but don't forget...
Dane wrote:
Budget is up to $500

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Sep 20, 2013 11:14 am 
Indeed, and as noted above the RX100 II is above his budget (and adding the electronic viewfinder blows the budget even more). But the RX100 just squeeks in w/in budget (as noted above) and the LX7 is well within budget (though the optional electronic viewfinder accessory would lift the cost just a tad above budget).

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostFri Sep 20, 2013 7:44 pm 
thanks guys up.gif I'm leaning towards the LX7....the price is right and it has a faster, wider lens than the RX100. It even sounds like the faster lens allows one to use a lower ISO for a given shutter speed vs the RX100, making it competitive in terms of low-light noise despite the smaller sensor (I don't plan on a whole lot of low-light shooting though). I don't get as excited about parsing camera specs as I do about most other outdoor gear, though, so my "leaning" is more a matter of gut feeling. The slimmer design and larger sensor on the RX100 are definitely nice features. I'm not exactly clear on when the higher resolution becomes a major factor. I don't plan on much post-processing (though I want to try shooting in RAW) and I don't intend to display my shots on anything larger than a computer monitor or perhaps a medium-size print. So what would I be giving up if I went for the LX7 with a smaller sensor and faster lens?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Sep 20, 2013 7:57 pm 
Dane wrote:
So what would I be giving up if I went for the LX7 with a smaller sensor and faster lens
without specific research, I would say that generally a larger sensor means better "dynamic range", i.e. less blown highlights(snow and clouds) and less loss of detail in the shadows....in general. as far as resolution, for viewing on a monitor and up to medium prints, you probably wouldn't notice much if any difference. Although shooting my m4/3 panny with my super sharp prime lens compared to my all around zoom, makes me think the glass can make quite a difference. Not sure what the glass difference is on the two you are considering. Both seem pretty darn good choices.

friluftsliv
mike

mike
PostFri Sep 20, 2013 8:07 pm 
Personally the 24mm equiv wide is a must have. Too bad the RX100 doesn't go there or I'd be all over it.