Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > VHS to computer or DVD
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Jan 09, 2014 3:11 pm 
I need to get some VHS onto my computer or DVD and I was wondering if anybody has an adapter or VHS-DVD recorder that I might be able to use or buy for cheap. Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 2:08 pm 
I need to do the same thing, Bryan. I did a little (maybe 30 minutes worth) of research, and it actually sounds a little complicated, due to different standards in place today vs back when the VHS tapes were recorded. In my case, the tapes contain video of my kids when they were little, so I'd like the quality to be a good as possible. Please let us know what you come up with and how it turns out!

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 2:52 pm 
Could it be as simple as something like this? I'm not sure why it would be complicated. Of course you have to play the tapes/no fast way. I wouldn't think it shouldn't take much to at least maintain something close to the quality of original VHS tapes. Hmmm maybe I'll order one and try it, but definitely time consuming to be sure. Of course I"d have to go dig up my old VHS tapes and see if they actually still will play and assume one of my old VHS players still works.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 2:57 pm 
What the heck I ordered one. Guess I can report back later on how it works (or doesn't).

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 3:28 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 3:32 pm 
Wow, I sure hope this works! The complication I read about had to do with some interference patterns that sometimes display, depending on how old the tapes are. There were various things that could be done to clean them up and this is where it got complicated. In my case, I only have the tapes -- the camcorder long ago bit the dust. I also have different types of tapes (VHS, 8mm (I think), and one other). Yes, please tell us how it turns out!

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 4:47 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Could it be as simple as something like this? I'm not sure why it would be complicated.
My son used something like this last Christmas, and it seemed to work out just fine. He set it up and let it run. Biggest issue to be sure of was the performance of the VHS player itself. Check it before you go to recording.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 5:09 pm 
Costco also offers this service for about $18. 2 tapes, 2hrs per DVD. I'd like to do it myself with a good VCR and video capture device on my PC, But I have not owned a VCR since the 90's and for the cost of a capture device I'd just prefer to take my 2-3 tapes to Costco. Then I can edit and clean, after all the video is on DVD Costco Video Services

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 6:56 pm 
I have two hardly used VCR's sitting right here. Hopefully at least one of them still works. The bigger question might be what shape the tapes are in (not to mention finding tapes I want to save). Will keep posted on how it goes. I will probably just capture to computer files. I don't know if I'll actually be burning DVD's or not.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 10:13 pm 
All of our family videos are in the non-US format (pal/Secam) so we bought a converter a few years ago to convert them to NTSC and onto DVD. We used it a couple of times and it has been sitting in the basement every since. I think we still need to use it but not sure if your old pal/secam player still works. So I need to do three things; check the status of our old player, try to find the converter, and check with my wife. She is the un-archive/reformat person.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Jan 11, 2014 12:12 am 
Tigermn, if that works maybe I could borrow or rent it from you?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Jan 11, 2014 11:42 am 
Bryan, I just checked the converter I have. It is a Com World CMD-1500. Its main function is to convert the video signal from one format to another, such as PAL/SECAM to NTSC and vice versa. Then you can write the converted signal out to any storage media you want. If you need something like that let me know.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 11:17 am 
I have one of those and have converted over several old VHS tapes. Works great. Mine accepts coax and RCA output so you can record off ANYTHING that has either of those outputs.